Dealer left my drain plug loose

Status
Not open for further replies.
32.gif

Anyone know what kind of scissor lift that is? And if so where does one acquire one?

After an oil change, I pull over in a nearby parking lot, pop the hood and peek under the car. I used to do that in the shop but the guys there were not amused. Most of the times, I am also in the shop watching it being done.

Most mechanics would tighten the drain plug immediately as soon as it is on. Unless he had a plan to put a torque wrench on it, how could he keep it loose?

And I thought you were there and had to tell him about the filter

Dan_erickson,

I applaud you for reporting the problem to the management with a good attitude. I hope you can resolve this to peace because it sounds like they have competence when properly staffed.

To make a long story short, a repair shop advertising Complete Auto Care performed over $2k worth of services on my truck. This included an oil change and a brake flush and bleed. Two items that I can do.

I noticed almost right away they had used the wrong viscosity oil. After challenging them they changed the oil. I went back a few weeks later to have the transmission fluid changed or flushed. The service writer denied service and provided a referral. Since the referral never did answer the phone I used a dealer. This is the best thing I ever did for the transmission. When I picked up the truck the advisor said my brakes needed to be bled. So I bled the brakes. You should have seen all the junk I flushed out of the lines. The Complete Auto Care store failed to flush and bleed the brakes properly.

I can see this issue from both sides. It is good for me to have a trusted shop for tasks beyond my capabilities For the items I can do, it is much easier for me to do it.

When a business concern repeatedly demonstrates incompetence, it is time to move on.

I wish you the best with your dealer discussions.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Thanks. Looks like Tire Discounters are only in the Cincy area, unfortunately. Good selection of tires.

They started there, but have been creeping South and West. We have three stores in Louisville, KY(not sure where you are in Indiana, but might be worth a trip). If you come to Louisville, I REALLY like the Bardstown Road store.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
After an oil change, I pull over in a nearby parking lot, pop the hood and peek under the car. I used to do that in the shop but the guys there were not amused. Most of the times, I am also in the shop watching it being done.

Most mechanics would tighten the drain plug immediately as soon as it is on. Unless he had a plan to put a torque wrench on it, how could he keep it loose?

And I thought you were there and had to tell him about the filter

I think he just got distracted by a phone call and had to leave my car to take the call at the service desk.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Originally Posted By: Trav
What am I missing here? You bring your own oil and filter let them do it then drive home check the filter, check the oil level, get the socket and ratchet and check the plug, why not just throw a pan under it and do it yourself?

Because I normally do not double check there work but I had a bad gut feeling this time. To pay them $17 for labor while I stay clean, drink a free Pepsi, I don't have to dispose of the old oil, and I have a paper trail for warranty is usually worth it.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Just keep the receipts from where you bought your VSP and FRAM Ultra, and change the oil yourself. Document everything you do in terms of maintenance.

The dealership would have to prove a lack of oil changes as a reason for denying warranty work. As far as I'm concerned, it will be difficult if not impossible unless your engine is all sludged up.
That doesnt work when you get a Fram Ultra for free and all my oil is from Autozone end of year sales. I cant prove anything when I bought 30+ quarts of oil at the same time for $2 a quart.

No need to have maintenance at dealer for warranty, any receipt(s) is more than enough regardless how you bought your oil and filter.

I love this site and how easy it is everyone all riled up. The point it that the tech left my drain plug loose. I not super mad about it because [censored] happens, people are not perfect, and nothing was hurt. I work on cars 5 days a week at work so the last thing I want to do is crawl under a car on a Saturday afternoon and get dirty along with the other reasons I stated earlier.

I work in a body shop and I have customers, insurance adjusters, 3 bosses and other techs bother me all day and I still manage to book 80 to 100 hours a week when we are rockin. So saying that I was a distraction is a useless point.

This is legitimate respond from you, I understand your reason for the work done at dealer now.

My case is not exactly the same as your but not too far off either.
I had my car at my trusted mechanic for replacing brake pad, I took with me part(s) and Mityvac 7201 to bleed the brake. I could do all the works in my garage in an afternoon, but I hate these mundane works: raising the car, put jack stands under the car, remove the wheels, reinstall the wheels, remove jack stands and lower the car. I don't mind doing the actual bleeding the brake, it is a easy task, fast and no mess with right tool.

So I paid $50(labor) for replacing brake pad, and I bleed brake myself(my mechanic didn't mind).

Thank you. You seem to be one of the few that understand why I do not want to deal with changing my own oil.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Dan_erickson,

I applaud you for reporting the problem to the management with a good attitude. I hope you can resolve this to peace because it sounds like they have competence when properly staffed.

To make a long story short, a repair shop advertising Complete Auto Care performed over $2k worth of services on my truck. This included an oil change and a brake flush and bleed. Two items that I can do.

I noticed almost right away they had used the wrong viscosity oil. After challenging them they changed the oil. I went back a few weeks later to have the transmission fluid changed or flushed. The service writer denied service and provided a referral. Since the referral never did answer the phone I used a dealer. This is the best thing I ever did for the transmission. When I picked up the truck the advisor said my brakes needed to be bled. So I bled the brakes. You should have seen all the junk I flushed out of the lines. The Complete Auto Care store failed to flush and bleed the brakes properly.

I can see this issue from both sides. It is good for me to have a trusted shop for tasks beyond my capabilities For the items I can do, it is much easier for me to do it.

When a business concern repeatedly demonstrates incompetence, it is time to move on.

I wish you the best with your dealer discussions.

Thank you. I knew I would catch a lot of flack making this thread but you seem understanding.

Originally Posted By: deven
You know they cut corners when you see Pepsi there. Real shop would only carry Coke products.
wink.gif

LMAO, They offer Coke, Pepsi, bottled water, coffee, snacks.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What am I missing here? You bring your own oil and filter let them do it then drive home check the filter, check the oil level, get the socket and ratchet and check the plug, why not just throw a pan under it and do it yourself?

Because I normally do not double check there work but I had a bad gut feeling this time. To pay them $17 for labor while I stay clean, drink a free Pepsi, I don't have to dispose of the old oil, and I have a paper trail for warranty is usually worth it.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Just keep the receipts from where you bought your VSP and FRAM Ultra, and change the oil yourself. Document everything you do in terms of maintenance.

The dealership would have to prove a lack of oil changes as a reason for denying warranty work. As far as I'm concerned, it will be difficult if not impossible unless your engine is all sludged up.
That doesnt work when you get a Fram Ultra for free and all my oil is from Autozone end of year sales. I cant prove anything when I bought 30+ quarts of oil at the same time for $2 a quart.

No need to have maintenance at dealer for warranty, any receipt(s) is more than enough regardless how you bought your oil and filter.

I love this site and how easy it is everyone all riled up. The point it that the tech left my drain plug loose. I not super mad about it because [censored] happens, people are not perfect, and nothing was hurt. I work on cars 5 days a week at work so the last thing I want to do is crawl under a car on a Saturday afternoon and get dirty along with the other reasons I stated earlier.

I work in a body shop and I have customers, insurance adjusters, 3 bosses and other techs bother me all day and I still manage to book 80 to 100 hours a week when we are rockin. So saying that I was a distraction is a useless point.

This is legitimate respond from you, I understand your reason for the work done at dealer now.

My case is not exactly the same as your but not too far off either.
I had my car at my trusted mechanic for replacing brake pad, I took with me part(s) and Mityvac 7201 to bleed the brake. I could do all the works in my garage in an afternoon, but I hate these mundane works: raising the car, put jack stands under the car, remove the wheels, reinstall the wheels, remove jack stands and lower the car. I don't mind doing the actual bleeding the brake, it is a easy task, fast and no mess with right tool.

So I paid $50(labor) for replacing brake pad, and I bleed brake myself(my mechanic didn't mind).

Thank you. You seem to be one of the few that understand why I do not want to deal with changing my own oil.

I get it as well. Luckily for me while I work with cars daily, most of it is electrics so I still can get myself to enjoy mechanical work. That said I have a tendency to put off electrical issues. It took me a year before I finally buckled down and traced and repaired my dome light fault which randomly blew fuses.

That's why you don't take it to the stealership! Or any quick lube for that matter.

Any car guy will tell you that they enjoy working on their car, maybe you are in the wrong forum
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewie
That's why you don't take it to the stealership! Or any quick lube for that matter.

Any car guy will tell you that they enjoy working on their car, maybe you are in the wrong forum
whistle.gif

I used to love working on my car. I'm burnt out. I don't care anymore.

I would probably say something, but I would make sure they knew I didn't think it was something super severe, but something to add to their check list.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
In the early 1970s I used to fly regularly on a commercial airliner (a DC-6B) between Edmonton and Fort McMurray. On one of those trips the airliner turned around and headed back to Edmonton. My friends noticed that oil had been dripping off the aft edge of the wing. Just before landing there were 3 or 4 awful shudders.

Seems the mechanic had ticked off that he had tightened the oil plug but meant that he was going to tighten the oil plug. Long story short - the engine lost oil and overheated to such an extent the pilots were afraid it would catch fire if they shut it off, so they let it run. But we didn't make it back onto the ground before the engine was heavily damaged.

That Allison engine was toast and the mechanic was looking for work. I'm told the damage was $30,000, about 3 times what I made annually as a young engineer. I understand from what you have said that the P&W 2800s had been replace and was a turbo prop.

So it happens. And I'll bet he never made that mistake again.

...Steve seems kind of forgetful was constantly getting pulled off my car because he was the only guy left in service at 4:30 PM on a Saturday. He almost put a stock Honda A02 filter on my car instead of the Fram Ultra that I brought and I had to remind him that I brought my own oil and filter...

Yes I checked myself and tightened it. I watched the tech spray solvent on the oil pan and control arm to clean up excess oil after everything was drained. The oil drops on the pan were fresh from the drive home.

Honestly I would simply let it go. You caught the mistake, fixed it and no damage was done, that's what's important.
And given the above, that you were watching the tech. caught the wrong filter being put on, watched the solvent being sprayed, but you still missed the moment when the plug was installed but not torqued down.
Everybody is human and can make mistakes.

You earn too much money and work too hard for it, to waste it like that. It takes a half-hour for a complete oil change, including dispensing the old oil into another container for disposal later.

Besides, you could have fed a couple of homeless people living in the downtown area streets with that $17. Instead you made the millionaire owner of that oil change place even more richer.

That dosent work when you get a Fram Ultra for free and all my oil is from Autozone end of year sales. I cant prove anything when I bought 30+ quarts of oil at the same time for $2 a quart.

So what?! Why do you believe, when the oil was bought has anything to do with when it was changed. Buy a folder, staple the oil and filter receipt on the left of a plain white sheet of paper and write the particulars on the right. As long as you have it documented, you are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back