Dealer left my drain plug loose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called the dealer this afternoon and told service about my situation. I didn't get upset, I didn't ask for anything like free oil changes. I told service that the tech was pulled off my car about 3 times because of phone calls and being paged to the service desk and just simply forgot to tighten the drain plug. No harm was done and I took care of it.

Service apologized said they were going to take care of the situation with the tech Also, said that he should have finished the job on the car and just let the phone ring.

Its over with and we can all move on.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
That's why you don't take it to the stealership! Or any quick lube for that matter.

Any car guy will tell you that they enjoy working on their car, maybe you are in the wrong forum
whistle.gif

Friend of mine owns his own car repair business. He's not car guy any more. Good thing he's not a gynecologist.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
I called the dealer this afternoon and told service about my situation. I didn't get upset, I didn't ask for anything like free oil changes. I told service that the tech was pulled off my car about 3 times because of phone calls and being paged to the service desk and just simply forgot to tighten the drain plug. No harm was done and I took care of it.

Service apologized said they were going to take care of the situation with the tech Also, said that he should have finished the job on the car and just let the phone ring.

Its over with and we can all move on.

Good news.

A few things don't add up at that Honda dealership:

1. Why is a tech having to answer the phone ? The dispatcher is supposed to do that.

2. Why is there a scissor lift at a dealership ? They should have at least two 4 post lifts for changing oil on.
A scissor lift is something you'd see at Pep Boys or America's Tire Store.

177796_2000x2000.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
A few things don't add up at that Honda dealership:

1. Why is a tech having to answer the phone ? The dispatcher is supposed to do that.

2. Why is there a scissor lift at a dealership ? They should have at least two 4 post lifts for changing oil on.
A scissor lift is something you'd see at Pep Boys or America's Tire Store.

177796_2000x2000.jpg

1. Because I showed up at the end of the day and others had already left.
2. Why does it matter what kind of lift that was used? They have like 6 other 2 post lifts in the shop. The put my car on the Hunter alignment rack for the oil change because it was open and my car is lowered so getting it all set up on a 2 post lift in a pain in the butt.

Last edited:
I completely understand getting the o/c done by someone else.Your time is valuable,your downtime even more so and a dealership papertrail is always nice to have.

As long as there was no damage done you handled it well.There was no need to be a jerk, just a gentle reminder that maybe the dealership should check its workers schedule to ensure proper staffing.

Now for this:
triple posted

Besides, you could have fed a couple of homeless people living in the downtown area streets with that $17. Instead you made the millionaire owner of that oil change place even more richer.

Really.....
That has nothing to do with this situation.Other than apparently making you feel morally superior by making that statement.

LOL

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Trav
What am I missing here? You bring your own oil and filter let them do it then drive home check the filter, check the oil level, get the socket and ratchet and check the plug, why not just throw a pan under it and do it yourself?

Because I normally do not double check there work but I had a bad gut feeling this time. To pay them $17 for labor while I stay clean, drink a free Pepsi, I don't have to dispose of the old oil, and I have a paper trail for warranty is usually worth it.

You earn too much money and work too hard for it, to waste it like that. It takes a half-hour for a complete oil change, including dispensing the old oil into another container for disposal later.

Besides, you could have fed a couple of homeless people living in the downtown area streets with that $17. Instead you made the millionaire owner of that oil change place even more richer.

Let me see if I can understand this post.....YOU EARN TOO MUCH MONEY but YOU'RE ALSO WORKING TOO HARD FOR THAT "TOO MUCH MONEY"....makes no sense.

How much water could you buy for the folks in Flint, MI with your monthly internet service fee?

2. Why does it matter what kind of lift that was used? They have like 6 other 2 post lifts in the shop. The put my car on the Hunter alignment rack for the oil change because it was open and my car is lowered so getting it all set up on a 2 post lift in a pain in the butt.

This is what a real alignment rack looks like. That dealer you take your car to is low budget and cheesy.

eelr705a.jpg

Originally Posted By: urrlord
I completely understand getting the o/c done by someone else.Your time is valuable,your downtime even more so and a dealership papertrail is always nice to have.

As long as there was no damage done you handled it well.There was no need to be a jerk, just a gentle reminder that maybe the dealership should check its workers schedule to ensure proper staffing.

Now for this:
triple posted

Really.....
That has nothing to do with this situation.Other than apparently making you feel morally superior by making that statement.

LOL

I wanna know where I can get an oil change for $17 in my area.

This is what a real alignment rack looks like. That dealer you take your car to is low budget and cheesy.

eelr705a.jpg

That's pretty funny, best thing I heard all day. An in floor hunter alignment rack is low budget and cheesy.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

Just do like most here do, use the oil filter on the engine again and just supply the oil. Simple!
28.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

Just do like most here do, use the oil filter on the engine again and just supply the oil. Simple!
28.gif

My dealer still tries to fleece me by charging $60 even when I bring the oil, but it's a VW dealer. My indy charges $30. He even turned down business from a local used dealership that would give him large volume for $25 an oil change. Says he wouldn't make any money.

So I don't know how this Honda dealer does it for $17.

Dan since i sold the shop i dont feel like working on cars either and its not because the shop made it easier...I used to change my personal oil in my driveway at home because we were always jammed for space. Maybe i am getting old (52) or maybe just lazy or not really happy i sold the shop.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

You earn too much money and work too hard for it, to waste it like that. It takes a half-hour for a complete oil change, including dispensing the old oil into another container for disposal later.

This gets my vote for the most sanctimonious post of the year!

I don't know what to tell ya about the price. It is what it is and they wash the car for me.

It's a good thing the wash rack has a floor drain for the oil to drip into.
grin2.gif

I don't know what to tell ya about the price. It is what it is and they wash the car for me.

It's a good thing the wash rack has a floor drain for the oil to drip into.
grin2.gif

LOL, now that I can laugh at.
crackmeup2.gif

Usually when I install the drain plug, I don't walk away from it until it's tight.

That make too much sense. If its a big job I put a mark with a yellow tire crayon on all bolts that have been tightened.
Its easy to get distracted and loose track of things, when I was a young mechanic I forgot to fully tighten a lower shock bolt on a suspension rebuild that caused a rattle.
The boss didn't give me the business but showed me what he did instead.

Mistakes can happen....but they shouldn't especially when you are working on something as simple as an oil and filter change...

The $tealer is to blame but what I see as encouraging issues like these is NOT SAYING NO when it is necessary to a customer! This is increasingly a HUGE problem with US business culture.

When Dan drove in to the shop without an appointment towards the end of the workday on Saturday, and the place was shorthanded the tech/SW should have politely informed Dan that they couldn't accommodate him and that could he please return on another day.
Any reasonable customer would understand and be happy to do so....how many places offer an oil and filter change with the OEM filter for only 17 bucks??!!!!

That being said Dan handled the situation pretty well, except I would have made sure the SM was informed face to face, politely and I too would have asked for nothing, except that in the future they not accept promo jobs like this when the store is shorthanded, it would be better for the store and the customer alike in eliminating disappointment and comebacks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back