Dealer 30,000 mi service recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not posting this to pick on dealers but to show some of their absurdities when it comes to "service recommendations" . My wife bought a new 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer in Feb 2017. We had a "free" dealer oil change at 2,000 miles, it was with "conventional oil" in a turbo DI engine
33.gif
. Anyway the following is the email my wife got from her dealer today.

"30,000 mile Service"

"Starting at $699.95"

-Change oil& filter (up to 5 qts, synthetic blend oil extra), though it takes 5.7 qts.
-Inspect engine cooling system and all fluid levels.
-Check operation of cooling fan.
-Rotate & balance FRONT TIRES.
-Inspect all drive belts & inspect tension.
-Replace engine air filter.
-Replace fuel filter.(don't think there is one except in the gas tank?)
-Replace in cabin air filter.
-Replace all wiper blades.
-Inspect brakes.
-Check tire and wheels for deterioration and damage.

For an additional $10.99 they'll wash the exterior of the Explorer at the same time
lol.gif

Mind you this is a new vehicle still under warranty
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Whats wrong with the quote, all you are paying for is the cooling fan operational check....everything else is complimentary

It gets crazier by the day what these dealerships try to pull off but I bet at least 50 to 75% of the population has this type of "not needed" work done without hesitation.
There should be a law against this.

Why not pick on a dealer?

Let's name names.

Kinda whimpy for a Jersey Boy.

Last edited:
Way overpriced for the labor, but the actual inspection and things being done are worthwhile, just not at that absurd price. Maybe a couple hundred $ assuming an efficient technician. Last time I had a shop do an oil change, it was $70 and included 7 quarts of syn blend and OE spec filter, along with inspection of brakes, suspension, exhaust, and anything else that could be checked with the car already up on a lift as it drained and things under the hood while filling up. Easy to see how 2x or 3x that cost to also replace some items and do further inspection of components.

Brakes could be due for replacement or at least service with cleaning, lubrication, and fluid bleeding at 30k.

There most definitely will be a replaceable fuel filter. The one in the tank is a rock catcher sock at the pump intake. The replaceable filter is a very fine element to stop any particles that could foul injectors.

Originally Posted by ctrcbob
I thought only Mercedes and BMW dealers did that.

What BMW dealer were you using? My BMW dealer has never tried to upsell me. As a matter of fact, my service advisor has actually discouraged unnecessary work. For example, I had my E36/5 in for a brake fluid flush and he said, "The return hose on the power steering reservoir shows some slight seepage. but I wouldn't replace it until it actually starts to drip- which probably wont happen for another 50,000 miles."

Originally Posted by twouvakind
Whats wrong with the quote, all you are paying for is the cooling fan operational check....everything else is complimentary

So it's $699 just for that? You should have gotten a Mercedes. That sounds like Service A, but they don't normally change the fuel filter as it's in the gas tank. Service A is normally around $250-$300, but mine takes 8.5 quarts and it's every 10k. They also wash and vacuum it for free.

Course I skip that and just use up my stash of $2 Autozone clearance Castrol 0w40 so it's about $17 for oil and $7 for the filter so just $24 for an oil change good for 10k.

i NEVER go to the stealer unless its stated covered by warranty!! if i can't handle it theres plenty of decent independents that charge half + only do whats needed!!! if you have deep pockets $$$$ supporting the stealer is your choice, + even though they have the best equipment "rookies" do the simple stuff at high $$$ + many times make mistakes unfortunately!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back