DD-WRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a Buffalo router that has the following version of DD-WRT installed:
DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/08) micro
(SVN revision 10012)

I really like the features and stability of DD-WRT compared to my old Netgear router. I read about some security problems with older builds and want to upgrade to the latest recommended build of DD-WRT for this router.
My question is since this router already had DD-WRT on it, can I just download the latest DD-WRT for the router and upgrade through the web interface? The instructions seem to suggest more complicated procedures, but I think that is only valid if you are starting from the OEM firmware from Buffalo. Anyone have experience with this? Am I correct in my assumptions?

Upgrading is much easier than replacing stock firmware, and I am pretty sure you are correct: You simply need the correct (and presumably newer) firmware binary, and you'd upgrade it via the web browser interface.

Just make *darn* certain you've got the "micro" version!

IMO the latest DDWRT doesn't always have the best stability, and sometimes they fix some bugs yet introduces others. This is especially true with non broadcom chipset router (i.e. Ralink or Atheros).

If it is working for you, don't touch it.

I got it upgraded. Just reset the defaults, upgraded through the web interface and had it reset defaults when done. Everything worked fine. I think I have everything configured back to the way I had things set.
I now have:
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro
(SVN revision 13064)

Why is micro so important? Is is because that is what is currently installed?

micro is used if you have a small memory size router that won't work with the bigger ones. The bigger ones have other features that you may not need, so micro may be good enough for you.

I know what micro is but uc50ic4More said "Just make *darn* certain you've got the "micro" version!." I was just wondering the reason for that comment.

I think I can use up to the Standard version since I have the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 which has 16MB RAM and 4MB Flash. The only thing in the bigger version that I would be interested in would be the HTTPS Support for Web Management.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
I know what micro is but uc50ic4More said "Just make *darn* certain you've got the "micro" version!." I was just wondering the reason for that comment..

The micro is for routers with smaller amounts of memory, like mine. It is not feature-complete like the "non micro" versions are, but trying to install the full version on a small memory router is a world of pain, and potentially a useless brick of a router.

I said to be "darn sure" because, knowing that you already had the micro version, I assumed that you *needed* the micro version. Sometimes we (errrr, *I*) absentmindedly go grab a newer firmware and install it.

Sounds good, I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something. So far I really like DD-WRT. The statics DHCP works correctly with all my devices. I really like the WOL function. I can now wake up my PC from work and remote desktop into it without having to leave it powered up all the time. Tons for features than my old Netgear. I may try the standard version to check out the secure web administration stuff, but I don't know if it is really needed.

Last edited:
ddwrt is good.

i have an asus wl-520gu and the stock firmware needed rebooting after 12 hours of anything.. remote terminal etc.

ddwrt.. been up for 59days now. still not lagging

(stock firmware my ping would start spiking to 1000+)

That seems to be the norm for stock firmware. They must have memory leaks or something because my netgear would run for a month or 2 on 3Mbps DSL, but when I changed to cable internet which is anywhere from 12-20Mbps it would only run for about a week before I had to reboot. The Buffalo on DD-WRT has been running for 2 weeks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back