DD-WRT - please educate me

I guess timing is everything, as I just yesterday installed DD-WRT on my Archer C7 (v2, just like yours). I got hung up on a couple of little details (oversights on my part, actually). I, too was concerned about bricking the router but because I haven't been using it as a router for a while (but may soon) I decided to take the chance. As it turns out, there is a recovery process that seems to provide a reliable and simple (as long as you do it right) to always recover it (you need to download and use a ftp server program called tftpd32 or tftpd64).

The biggest confusing factor for me was which file, version, etc. to use. I ended up using the info described in a couple of threads on their forum. By far the best info came from this video on how to recover and flash TP-Link firmware. (most suggestions involve starting with an older version than what I had (I had the latest from 2018). The video involves flashing a C8, but the process is still the same. I used a laptop running windows 10 and a basic ethernet cable connected to one of the LAN ports. Video of the TP-Link recovery or firmware install procedure. BTW: My hangup ended up being a stupid failure to select the log view tab - the software used doesn't do a good job of highlighting the selected tab.

Once you have a desired or suggested firmware installed, you have to flash a file called "factory-to-ddrt.bin", which is done through the OEM GUI flash utility. Finally you flash the desired build of dd-wrt. It's confusing because the IP address of the router will change to a new value and I think you have to make sure you're connected to the WAN port to access it (I spent a couple of hours stuck at that juncture). After installing and upgrading to a version (they're all referred to as beta versions!) I set it up and it's working fine. Before I can put it in service as my main router, I'm going to have to educate myself on all of the settings (far more than the TP-Link stock setup). I settled on version 42557 (02/28/20) which appears to be running fine. BTW it seems that it's important to use the factory-to-ddrt.bin version that is in the same download location as the build you desire to use.

A post by Jeffs555 on this page really helped, as well as one by eginnc he referenced on this page.

Ok, that's my router. I'm reading through the page on the DD-WRT forums which have a lot of outdated information concerning which file to download. What version of firmware did you flash? Is everything working as it should? Does it have the ability to run a vpn server?
Thanks,
Terry
They are very simple to flash. In my case I was going from a Tmobile firmware to an ASUS stock firmware so we had to do TFTP file transfers and stuff to get the ASUS stock firmware on there.

From that point I could just download the ASUS DDWRT firmware and apply it via the web interface.

I have never had to mess with deleting NVRAM, always updated via web interface with no ills.

If you have stock ASUS firmware on your device, its simple to go to DDWRT.

For VPN, if you want to get into your network, I find it easier to just use CHROME Remote Desktop.

But the version of DDWRT I have has support for dynamic DNS like no-ip, so I guess you could VPN back to a computer, but that would require knowledge of what ports to open and what ports to not open.

I setup NOIP on my network to access a basic webcam inside my house, and I don't pay any cloud fees to do that. I just use it to check on my cats. But even doing that required its own vlan so it can't talk to the rest of the network.

I've run DD-WRT for years, starting with the old Linksys WRT54G series routers it's named for. DD-WRT adheres to the Unix philosophy of extreme flexibility to the point of giving you enough rope to hang yourself. Documentation is poor but the community is pretty helpful in the DD-WRT forums.

One of the problems is finding a release that is known to work well on your router for the features you want. For this you need to look at the forum thread(s) for your device and what users and developers are saying about the stability and features of the available releases. The versions listed in the compatibility database are pretty much always out of date. You also need to read the wiki entry for your device for any special instructions. DD-WRT is always a work in progress, and the latest release may not be the best for your purposes. Once up and running, if your router supports USB drives and has appropriate hardware you can add Entware and have close to a full-featured Linux system running on your router. (I even have a C compiler on mine and can build programs from source right on the router.)

A couple of alternatives would be Tomato firmware and OpenWRT.

Basically DD-WRT gives you more control vs most stock firmware.
Do most need it, no.
I have a WRT1900AC with DD-WRT on it for the past 6 years with no issues at all. The stock firmware on the 1900 was a little lacking in customization, so I went with DD-WRT. I had been familiar with it having used it on the WRT54g for almost a decade so was an easy transition.
I actually just checked and the firmware is over 3 years old, so I may update it (but may not, it works, and no security flaws that I know of).

I recently bought my mom a Netgear Nighhawk R6700, which can run DD-WRT, but for her needs, no reason to get rid of the stock firmware (although I almost did because it would not let me name the 2.4 and 5 ghz networks the same).

Just curious why you feel you need to upgrade? Are you having issues?
Only reason I can see to update if no issues is a need for WiFi6 (which I personally have no need for, nor have any devices that use it).

John9527 (or something like that) has a "fork" of Merlin's firmware and continues to support your modem.
I just got finished flashing the latest version of this fork, I had to dust off an old laptop to use Windows 10 for the recovery tool. Normally I would use a virtual machine on my Debian machine but the virtual network wouldn't connect to the router. Or rather, I didn't want to take the time to figure out how to get it to connect.
Other than that everything went smooth.

It's been a while since I used (or switched) to John's fork. I do recall having to use the router's recovery mode to use a firmware but I don't remember specifics anymore. I upgraded our N66U a few months ago and am able to use Merlin's builds once again.

Running off to work, will check back later.
Currently LOVE my TP-Link Archer C7 V2. YEARS of trouble free service, at least 20 wifi devices on it.
But lets face it, V2 is getting a bit older now, how many more years or months will it keep running so flawlessly?

BTW - I can also install DD-WRT on my current TPLInk Archer c7 V2 router, Its even on TP Links site, just that they do not support it of course.
I REALLY am tempted to try this route, for fun...

If it works well on TP-Link software why bother. I went to DD-WRT to see if it would be work with my flawed TP-Link Archer C7 v???? (replaced once under warranty) and the same issue persisted so I assumed TP Link hardware issue (locking up).

If it works well on TP-Link software why bother. I went to DD-WRT to see if it would be work with my flawed TP-Link Archer C7 v???? (replaced once under warranty) and the same issue persisted so I assumed TP Link hardware issue (locking up).
Yes, I am leaving it alone, meaning not going to replace the firmware, its been flawless, scary flawless. I have had it so many years, I tend to get bored and look for a change, that's all. I am thinking of replacing it with a new model, only because I figure, years of running 24 hours a day, sooner or later has to take a toll on the electronics and rather replace sooner then wait for failure. I suspect by the end of the year, also as a new toy to mess around with.
I will say, I honestly dont know what I would replace it with, seems like everything other companies offer in the under $125 price range do not come close to the TP Link models in performance. If I could I would buy from an American company this time around, but I am just not "seeing it"
Last year got my daughter and her boyfriend (who also games) and they were blown away with a newer TP Link I bought them to replace their cheap netgear. Archer A9 AC1900 is what I bought them and I guess I will go with that.

Just an FYI, this stuff is just "fun" stuff for me. We have no issues with our network, never do and amazingly here we have a device running day and night for years Archer c7 V2 AC 1750 handling roughy 24 wifi devices. (of course not at the same time but many at one time) I was just looking to avoid a Hong Kong device again, now that its almost totally under Chinese control I am making a switch away from stuff from China, IF, other worldly companies allow me to with equal quality products. :eek:)

My answer is it depends on your goal and your router.

I ran my WRT160N on DDWRT for 9 years with no problem, because the OEM did not support client, bridge, or repeater mode back when I needed it to bounce wifi off from neighbor's house to split internet cost.

This year starting with work from home we needed our own internet for up to 4x video conference at the same time and company will pay our internet bill. I keep losing audio in webex and our triage conclude that the router cannot keep up past 4Mbps upload or it will drop packets, so I needed to upgrade this 9 year old router to the newer ones (ended up with a $40 TP Link Archer C8 brand new) and it already has everything I needed, and I also found out that some features are not open sourced into drivers for trade secrets (mainly packet routing optimization) that really slow down if you go to open source firmware like DDWRT or tomatoe.

So, now I'm sticking with my OEM firmware and call it a day. DDWRT was great for my last 9 years of using it, thanks.

Back