Dave thinks I can make it 12--15k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Why don't you write another reply like yours - AFTER keeping your last 4 residential vehicles from birth until old-age rust-bucket death - like I've done?

That's admirable but not really a qualifier for the response you wrote to the OP. I think the OP bought his Civic new and puts a ton of miles on it, he might be the first and last owner. Did you check?

I would never recommend someone do more than 10k on any oil in any vehicle without doing a UOA first. You just never know what's going on, what if that engine has massive fuel dilution?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Why don't you write another reply like yours - AFTER keeping your last 4 residential vehicles from birth until old-age rust-bucket death - like I've done?

Had you done so, then you'd never type a response like that.
..... or are you one of those characters that take very little care of your purchased items?..... then sell it premature to old age?
I suppose you are, judging by your response.

Interesting... Millions of vehicles on the road will do just fine into old age on factory recommended OCIs of 10-15k - and it will be something other than an internally lubricated part that sends them to the junkyard.

I'm a 5k/6mo guy myself - but I know it's overkill. The majority of cars have minimum maintenance performed - and they're just fine.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I would never recommend someone do more than 10k on any oil in any vehicle without doing a UOA first. You just never know what's going on, what if that engine has massive fuel dilution?

Yeah, just did 3rd change on 5.3L and it wreaked of gasoline ...
I’m probably going to just do 6k-7k ... 0w20 already bugs me some ... and OLM goes around 7k ...

5K changes with RL would get pretty expensive, too. Why not split the distance, go 10K, and do a UOA? That way you can tell how the oil is handling it. I would wait until the 2nd 10K to get all the old out.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Who's Dave?

Isn’t Dave the hamburger dude?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
5K changes with RL would get pretty expensive, too. Why not split the distance, go 10K, and do a UOA? That way you can tell how the oil is handling it. I would wait until the 2nd 10K to get all the old out.

That sounds like a plan, the second 10K UOA would be more accurate, no doubt about it, but that would take more time than I'd want to wait. The first run should give a pretty good idea of how far the oil can go, I'd do that rather than wait if I wanted to see how long the oil can be used.

I’ve been running 10k changes with Red Line lately. The OLM in that particular vehicle says to change at about that point, and I have no confidence problems about it. Had the valve covers off for a check & adjustment over the weekend and it’s nice and clean. I do fairly long highway drives in warm to searing hot weather, which is how the OLM pushes that vehicle this far. Urban type driving would see it recommending much shorter intervals. In that scenario, I’d watch with analysis to verify propriety of 10k with any fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
[Yeah, just did 3rd change on 5.3L and it wreaked of gasoline ...

Not happy to hear this but expected it with Direct Injection.

Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life
[Yeah, just did 3rd change on 5.3L and it wreaked of gasoline ...

Not happy to hear this but expected it with Direct Injection.

Did a 1k and 7k change … did not smell it. This one was past 12k and the “funk rushed out” … wife walks by and asks why she smells gasoline … think the engine is a bit new to get into UOA … so will not try any long runs for now …

Did a 1k and 7k change … did not smell it. This one was past 12k and the “funk rushed out” … wife walks by and asks why she smells gasoline … think the engine is a bit new to get into UOA … so will not try any long runs for now …

Okay. I feel better now.

Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life

Okay. I feel better now.

Don’t think I was very clear … those were odometer readings … so have not run over 6K on majority PAO oil …

Fuel dilution in 0w20 gives me heartburn …

Don’t think I was very clear … those were odometer readings … so have not run over 6K on majority PAO oil …

Fuel dilution in 0w20 gives me heartburn …

Okay got it. I am always concerned about fuel dilution. On my recent oil change on my 5.3 [5500 miles OCI] I did not smell any gasoline or anything but will do a better smell test next time. Right now I have 37500 on my Tahoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back