Daughter's trip to JiffyLube

I'm going to start working on my grandson. He's 12. We'll start with the lawn mower next weekend. I'll teach him to sharpen the mower blade and put string in the string trimmer too.

If I train him well, he may be doing jobs for me (ie properly) when I get too old to do them myself. If someone is interested they just need someone to show them how, and then watch as they do a job a few times to make sure they're doing it right. One thing that really stops many beginners is doing a job wrong, and then getting blamed.

In medicine we say "see one, do one, teach one." Learning to do tasks isn't quite as simple as that but it's the right idea.
Here u go. I don’t think he loosen the drain bolt or loosen the filter but dad is supervising.

Lol, not sure I saw anywhere that she doesn’t want to change her own oil, maybe I missed it. 🤷‍♂️

I’m not particularly fond on doing the dishes, scrubbing a toilet or ironing my clothes but I know how to do all of the above. Come to think of it my wife isn’t particularly fond of either of those three tasks either but I know she does all three. :unsure:
If it was on the table, pretty sure this wouldn’t even be a post. Your wife do oil changes.?

Another data point, the Lexus dealer in the Philadelphia area charges $92 for a 6qt synthetic oil/filter change and u have to wait an hour. With a Fumoto engine drain ball valve, I turn the lever, have a 20 minute lunch and then swap in the new oil filter. Done in a total of 30minutes with a material costs of $32 (Pennzoil Ultra + Fram Ultra filter). I spend most of time draining the old back into the 5qt jug. Lol
I do my own work. Always have.

Not everyone has that option.

My daughter is quite busy, and doesn’t have time to work on a car, or to learn how to work on a car.

I will work on training her son. I think he is is a little over 10.. Ripe age to learn about cars.

I'd have a heart-to-heart, sit-down talk with her husband first.

My 25 year old daughter constantly tells me that I've made it extremely hard on her finding a boyfriend. She tells me that there aren't many guys out there that could come close to meeting my expectations.

Before you start hammering on that keyboard scolding me, think about how much better this country would be if there were more fathers out there like me.... I'm not patting myself on the back or puffing my chest out. I will say that I have consciously spent time telling my daughter what NOT to bring home. Yes, that list and pointing out examples while we are out in public is long. She will also admit that she is very appreciative of what I've taught her through the years.

My wife and I were at a local monthly "town festival" on a Friday night several months ago. One of those squatted trucks came through town, blaring music. All the "look at me" signs. There were several other couples our age standing around. I asked the question out loud - "do you know how you stop that?" Everyone looked at me.... I said "you get the fathers of daughters to tell them not to bring that home." You should have seen the giant lightbulbs going off in the heads and all the men said "you are exactly right!!"

Write a how to book about your amazing feats titled “How I get women to do things they don’t want to - and how you can too.” You’ll make a fortune guaranteed.
It would be a pretty boring book with lots of common sense advice but hey those sell every day.

As for daughters I would say don't be afraid to start them early.
3.jpg

Because over the last 50 years millions and millions of oil changes at thousands of locations have been performed for satisfied customers who don't spend time in internet forums populated by neurotics.
Actually they have not, there was always a piece about them scamming some customer at XYZ. It was always a hit in the 90's on the evening news but I'm sure their failure ratio is still low. Overpriced, under-skilled, and just plain bad.

If I don’t do my daughter’s oil change she takes her car to local Mazda dealer.

Actually they have not, there was always a piece about them scamming some customer at XYZ. It was always a hit in the 90's on the evening news but I'm sure their failure ratio is still low. Overpriced, under-skilled, and just plain bad.
Your anecdotal evidence notwithstanding, yes they have. There's no other explanation.

I send my kids who don’t/won’t do their own to Valvoline. Here at least they do a good job and they send me some pretty good coupons on a regular basis. I’ve gotten 50% off twice now.
I've used Valvoline for decades for my cars. They are imo, the only decent oil change place. They don't upsell, and they're friendly and well trained. I've used them on both the east and west coast, never had a bad experience there. On their satisfaction survey they specifically ask if you felt pushed to buy other services, which is against their policy. I have had fluids changed there besides oil too, but not because the employees were shoving them down my throat.

OTOH, I visited a Jiffy Lube one time years ago when we were in a city that didn't have a Valvoline and I needed an oil change. Wow, what an experience that was. They tried to sell me another $200 worth of BS including 'windshield chip repair'. They were pushy as hell, too. I complained about it on their 'customer service feedback' card and their manager called me that evening. Honestly he was really awful too, and I realized he only called because Jiffy Lube sells a lot of franchises and he was forced to call. This didn't surprise me because franchise chains are often less than honest. I don't mean they're total crooks, just that the incredible pressure on the owners to bring in high numbers for the company makes them do things they might not otherwise do - ethically questionable things, imo. I've found Good Year and Firestone shops fall into this category too.

TLDR: I like Valvoline. ;)

Back