Danika loses ride, finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Bob's "buds" will likely be the next sponsor (legal weed)

Originally Posted By: Kira
To Papa Bear's point: I can't wait for the "Marijuana Marauder" or "Roach Coach" or .......

You'll be waiting a long time because race teams wouldn't go near it. The fact is Marijuana is ILLEGAL in all 50 states at the Federal level. Any race team would be stupid to take advertising money from anyone promoting it. The Feds would be looking up their rears with a microscope. If for no other reason, just for spite. Especially if they were home to a state that has not "legalized" it. They would be audited by the IRS, and have every other 3 letter government agency looking to make their lives miserable. All risk with little reward. NASCAR already has enough problems.

Legalized and heavily taxed pot will be the budgetary salvation of California. Maybe Illinois (next door) is next!

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why did Sprint stop their NASCAR sponsorship?

Most likely for the same reason Powerade dumped the NHRA and Mello Yellow took over. These corporations invest a lot in sponsoring these series. If they don't feel they're getting a high enough return on their investment, they quit. Even Danica couldn't keep Go Daddy happy enough to stay on board with her. And yet all we heard about was her ability to draw in sponsors, and make money for them.

Today there is a high turnover rate in racing sponsorships. Especially among drivers. In years past look at how long Jeff Gordon was sponsored by DuPont. Or Mark Martin by Valvoline. Or John Force by Castrol. Or Kenny Bernstein by Budweiser. It was through the better part of their careers. Today it seems to change every year. A lot of it is because these sports are sliding in popularity. One only has to look at the stands at these races. They seem to be practically empty most of the time.

Lots of kids these days have no interest in cars in general. They frequently don't even get a Driver's License. It is inevitable that fans of Motorsports will decline as time goes on. Having said that, the stands at NHRA events are still pretty much full, at least when the Fuel cars are running. Which except for a serious decline in participation and attendance during the recession years, is pretty much how it always has been, IME.

Pre-season testing next week in Chandler.

The crime rate, property theft, home break in's, along with an increase of both injury and fatal auto accidents, are all plaguing cities and states that have "legalized" this stuff. That's not opinion. It's fact that has been researched. Auto and homeowners insurance premiums are rising in these states as a direct result. That all goes into the minus column off any additional taxes that are being brought in. People in the San Francisco and Denver area are now finding their city parks packed with transients and homeless who have all come there for the weed. Defecating and urinating in the streets.

No thanks. I'll live without the "benefits" of "legal weed". Besides, everyone knows it's all nothing but a ruse for people who want to smoke dope and get high. We've got enough idiots already without creating more. Even Colorado's far left liberal governor agrees it was a big mistake. Now they've got an impossible mess to clean up. One they created because they thought the stuff was wonderful. Live and learn.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/john-h...article/2559159

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Legalized and heavily taxed pot will be the budgetary salvation of California.

More like the destruction.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2...lumn/536010001/

Note that the article is "opinion"...and spun to meet a particular set of pre-conceptions.

Author
http://www.ccu.edu/centennial/staff-and-fellows/jeff-hunt/
https://coloradopolitics.com/qa-wjeff-hunt-centennial-institute-christian-voice-public-square/

What disqualifies Mr. Hunt’s facts? The fact that he is conservative? Or Christian? Or maybe because he was a former fishing and hunting guide?

I'm glad, she is a disgrace to racing and to women who can actually drive. Always an excuse for her and 95% of time she tore up the equipment. Time to move on NASCAR and get a real woman behind the wheel to promote your sport to the ladies.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I'm glad, she is a disgrace to racing and to women who can actually drive. Always an excuse for her and 95% of time she tore up the equipment. Time to move on NASCAR and get a real woman behind the wheel to promote your sport to the ladies.

That's based on the assumption there are any. We haven't seen one yet.

The crime rate, property theft, home break in's, along with an increase of both injury and fatal auto accidents, are all plaguing cities and states that have "legalized" this stuff. That's not opinion. It's fact that has been researched. Auto and homeowners insurance premiums are rising in these states as a direct result. That all goes into the minus column off any additional taxes that are being brought in. People in the San Francisco and Denver area are now finding their city parks packed with transients and homeless who have all come there for the weed. Defecating and urinating in the streets.

No thanks. I'll live without the "benefits" of "legal weed". Besides, everyone knows it's all nothing but a ruse for people who want to smoke dope and get high. We've got enough idiots already without creating more. Even Colorado's far left liberal governor agrees it was a big mistake. Now they've got an impossible mess to clean up. One they created because they thought the stuff was wonderful. Live and learn.

Ive never touched the stuff and don't care to ever do so unless it's 110% legal and there's a true, verified medical need (and I hope to never have a medical need either). But my practical side seems to think that since there's a non-trivial population of users and supporters across the country, it needs to be looked at more in earnest.

I hypothesize that if it were made legal everywhere, many of the issues regarding transients, vagrants, homeless, etc. would not be the case as many wouldn't be moving to find freedom to do it. The wacked out users, who probably exist everywhere, wouldn't have converged onnto one or two places affecting "statistics". Some of the "statistics" that get put out would normalize as the population density of users would spread and normalize across all states/locales.

For this junk I say legalize and tax it, and then regulate its use, just like alcohol.

"For this junk I say legalize and tax it, and then regulate its use, just like alcohol"

Why not legalize all drugs then if it's about the money??

Smoky

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I hypothesize that if it were made legal everywhere, many of the issues regarding transients, vagrants, homeless, etc. would not be the case as many wouldn't be moving to find freedom to do it. The wacked out users, who probably exist everywhere, wouldn't have converged onnto one or two places affecting "statistics".

Diluting the problem by spreading it everywhere so it looks better on paper, is not a solution. It just makes it less noticeable. The millennial's in this country are coming out of schools today lacking enough common sense already. Adding additional intoxicants to pollute their already diminutive brains is not going to improve anything. In short, we've managed to dumb down this country enough without looking for ways to push people deeper into the brain dead abyss. If you need proof of that, look at SAT scores over the last 4 decades. Legalizing pot isn't going to improve them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/edu...m=.80c42b5cb5bb

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Ive never touched the stuff and don't care to ever do so unless it's 110% legal and there's a true, verified medical need (and I hope to never have a medical need either). But my practical side seems to think that since there's a non-trivial population of users and supporters across the country, it needs to be looked at more in earnest.

I hypothesize that if it were made legal everywhere, many of the issues regarding transients, vagrants, homeless, etc. would not be the case as many wouldn't be moving to find freedom to do it. The wacked out users, who probably exist everywhere, wouldn't have converged onnto one or two places affecting "statistics". Some of the "statistics" that get put out would normalize as the population density of users would spread and normalize across all states/locales.

For this junk I say legalize and tax it, and then regulate its use, just like alcohol.

Any decent job requires that the applicant pass a drug screening test.
Pot users disqualify themselves from getting decent jobs.
Then they become burdens on society because they're unemployable.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Any decent job requires that the applicant pass a drug screening test.
Pot users disqualify themselves from getting decent jobs. Then they become burdens on society because they're unemployable.

Very true.

Don't bogart that joint, my friend, pass it over to me,
I'll roll another one, just like the other one.

Back on topic. The Daytona 500 is just 10 days away. Danica has no ride that I'm aware of. Anyone heard differently?...... And just so people don't think I'm trying to, "hijack the hijack", every pot head I've ever met is an idiot.

Danica will drive the Premium Motosports #7 Go Daddy Chevrolet with Tony Eury JR on the pit box, the team has a guarented starting spot which may be a reason why she did not do a ride with Ganassi Racing because they did not have a third charter for a guaranteed starting spot, she would had to qualify the car into the field.
TOTO.

In spite of my comments, I would actually be delighted to see a "new" Danica Patrick, lifted of the weight of pondering the future of her career, get out there and show us something new.

But I get the feeling we're going to see the same old.

Where the pot topic is concerned, I completely support its medical use. There is way too much undeniable science that pot delivers results that synthetic drugs do not, and all while having a ton less side effects.

The biggest problem with marijuana opposition for me is not the pot itself. It's everything else that the government continues to rubber stamp.

There are too many substances out their with Big G's rubber stamp that can kill you in a matter of hours or less. We cannot say this about pot. If pot is a "dangerous" drug, then we need to make up a new, more terrible word for a lot of the other stuff that is acceptable to use.

I can go buy one bottle of booze right now, and be dead by sunrise. So how do we assail pot, while allowing alcohol to slide by? Or the prescription drugs that kill people while being used as intended?

What if I ran a bank, and only allowed people to come in armed with ski masks, as long as the gun was a Glock and the ski mask was LL Bean?

I'm not a user of pot, and never will be for many personal reasons and the fact that I am in a position where I'm required to set an example. But I know people who do use, and yet are incredibly successful, responsible, and industrious people. It would truly be a waste and a discredit to society for them to end up in cuffs.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
In spite of my comments, I would actually be delighted to see a "new" Danica Patrick, lifted of the weight of pondering the future of her career, get out there and show us something new.

Forget DP. She’s a never was, never will be. Just ran 9/10ths off pole speed. YAWN.

Im a fan of Nat Decker. As they say, she’s the “real deal”. Only 20, she’s come up through the ranks, won the ARCA pole, finished 4th dodging a major wreckfest while holding her own with the Big Boys. Mark my words, this is a future NASCAR STAR that will win races.

http://autoweek.com/article/nascar/natalie-decker-makes-history-arca-daytona-pole

Last edited:
Would be very entertaining to see.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back