Dampers (shocks) lasting nearly “forever”?

I think most shocks and struts are replaced unnecessarily. I have found that in the absence of severe fluid leakage or obvious signs of failure, replacing the unit often yields very minimal improvements.

More often than not, folks replace the OE unit with an aftermarket unit that is tuned differently. The aftermarket unit is tuned to be stiffer (or softer), and because the driver notices a difference (after the work is done), they assume that the OE unit had failed.
I’d say the same. For example, the 1991 MB 350SD I’m currently working on. The shocks are dry, clean, and seem to work fine. I’m the past I’ve removed 30+ year old Mercedes shocks and they have all still been firm and consistent across the range. Kind of made me feel bad to do it.

I do think on older cars a strut mount or rubber mounting parts will be the culprit first and would be more of a reason…

So how's the ride now? Kudos for doing it yourself. Rare breed IMO.

Like I said, I feel the ride is much, much better.

I just re-looked on 1Aauto's site, these struts have a "Lifetime warranty". I feel like 1Aauto is a decent company, they have backed their stuff up with me before - Toyota Tundra aftermarket towing mirrors - they replaced them with no qualms.

Back