Dad is looking for a new truck

The oil spills on the bellow boots. Zero impact on the rack itself.

Plus DIYers can use a gallon ziplock bag to reduce the mess.
This has to be the only place that an easy oil change factors in, LoL …
Will say GM has nailed it on easy oil change …

What's important to him in a truck? Reliability? Towing capability? Technology? Comfort?

The Ram is probably the nicest to drive and the best tech, but if reliability is a concern it may not be the best choice.

How often does he tow and how much weight? A Pentastar 3.6L might be faster than his 6.0L these days.

A 6.2 max tow half ton from GM if he isnt towing a lot in terms of frequency and weight. The 6.6 gas GM should be quite good in terms of quality. Ford has great HDs too!

The best advice is probably to just wait 6+ months and have many more choices and maybe even incentives in the market again.

While the oil filter on the new ram hemi is a pain.. after a couple practice tries and using a gallon ziplock bag the mess which spills on the rubber boot is 99% contained.

Plenty of worse cars for oil changes... early 2000's chevy tracker springs to mind.

I have one friend with a Titan and he really likes it. He bought it based on the good experience he's had with a 2009 Versa that he bought new and still has. I like my F-150 a little better overall but I think the Titan is still a pretty nice truck. He tows and hauls with his pretty regularly and it hasn't given him any issues. I don't think the Titan and Tundra low sales numbers have much at all to do with their ability to make a good product. I think it has more to do with people being hesitant to buy a "less macho" Japanese brand truck.
Actually, it’s because Toyota only produces a certain number of vehicles. They aren’t concerned with being the #1 sales leader - at least in the truck market. GM, for example, pushes out as many trucks as they possibly can. Quality takes a hit because of it.

Toyota’s aren’t for everyone. I think they are OK with that. The focus is producing quality vehicles over a quantity of vehicles.

What's important to him in a truck? Reliability? Towing capability? Technology? Comfort?

The Ram is probably the nicest to drive and the best tech, but if reliability is a concern it may not be the best choice.

How often does he tow and how much weight? A Pentastar 3.6L might be faster than his 6.0L these days.
Reliability and comfort are likely high on the list. Towing capability is important as well with tech being lower on the list of priorities. All are important though. He would enjoy the creature comforts modern vehicles bring.

It’s very hard to reach too. Too much stuff in the way to fit most tools on. Some people may not find it hard but I know me and the guys at work do. Everyone runs when they see a Ram coming for an oil change because we don’t want the service advisors assigning us the job.
Here is a little trick on the Hemi trucks to not get an oil bath. Get a one gallon or bigger ziplock bag and put it over the filter as you loosen it. Let all the oil fall into the bag.

If your dad wants the truck to last over 200,000 miles you would have to be confident that any engine with a variable displacement system such as Chevy’s AFM or equivalent can make it. I just put out another thread asking folks if anyone has achieved that. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Tundra and Ram tied for the most positive comments I hear/read about. Followed closely by Ford trucks. Then Chevy/GMC. But hard to go wrong with any of them.
Most of the Chevy/GM hate is the AFM/DFM systems and outdated interiors.

What is the intent of the truck? Hauling and towing? Dump and Home Depot runs? Crew cab, extra cab or single cab? 4X2 or 4X4? Manual or Auto? Short, medium or long bed?

If towing, I'd consider the new F250 with the 7.3L gas motor. If looking for a half ton, I'd look at the Ram Rebel with the Hemi. But really, all the modern trucks seem to be pretty good these days. Not a real fan of the styling of the new Chev/GMC products.
The new GM trucks look effin sweet. The HD trucks are the ***** ones.

The time has come for my father to get a new vehicle. His current vehicle is a 2002 Chevy Silverado 6.0. It has well over 200K on it and it shows. He has decided on a full sized truck but has not decided what brand to go with.

My thoughts are (1) Ram (2) Tundra (3) Ford/Chevy/GMC).

Ram has a great ride and relatively solid drivetrain with good tech for the money, which is why it gets my #1 vote.

Tundra has reliability hands down, which is tempting, but has old tech.

Ford/GMC/Chevy likely will have their own set of issues, they don't seem to have the reliability they once did.

He is looking for V8 options, no V6 or turbos.

I don't really keep up on the truck scene that much. Are there any models to avoid?
Not a good time to buy a vehicle as prices are insane. Wait a few months.

Back