Cylinder deactivation?

They will be electrifying vehicles šŸ‘€
Yep, I think that was the clear implication. I can pretty much guarantee our next vehicle will be an EV. Likely replace the GC and we'll keep the truck. We love the truck and it averages ~200Km more a tank (same sized tank) as the Jeep which may become more relevant when Trudy's Clean Fuel Standard comes into effect.

Yep, I think that was the clear implication. I can pretty much guarantee our next vehicle will be an EV. Likely replace the GC and we'll keep the truck. We love the truck and it averages ~200Km more a tank (same sized tank) as the Jeep which may become more relevant when Trudy's Clean Fuel Standard comes into effect.
Seems fitting Power Man šŸ”Œ

Bought a 2018 Silverado hoping it would work and be a good thing, turned out not so much. Truck seemed confused at speeds between 30-50, as the thing shifted in and out of V8 mode, with the transmission seemingly utterly confused throughout the whole ā€œprocessā€. Developed a check engine light at 35,000 miles (misfire), then a torque converter shudder at 40,000 miles. Oil consumption since day one. Go to the Chevy forums and yup...transmission failures due to the back and forth shifting/accommodating V4 mode, collapsed lifters and oil consumption. Traded the truck in at 50,000 miles.

Wanted to like it...liked the fuel economy...didnā€™t like my $40,000 dollar truck feeling like it was going to grenade a transmission or drop a lifter at 50,000 miles. Well maintained, babied...couldnā€™t handle driving up simple hills on the highway.

Of course-GM sells in excess of 40,000 units of these trucks (Silverado/Sierra combined) each and every month. The complaints come with the "nuances" of the technology (think start/stop) and new truck owners unfamiliar with what the system does. If you search you will find 100,000 mile trucks with this tech that are not having issues.

I have not experienced your issues with any constant degree. Also-while the six speeds are not the most refined transmission around they are not failing in any large numbers-at all.

Of course-GM sells in excess of 40,000 units of these trucks (Silverado/Sierra combined) each and every month. The complaints come with the "nuances" of the technology (think start/stop) and new truck owners unfamiliar with what the system does. If you search you will find 100,000 mile trucks with this tech that are not having issues.
I had a 2018 Silverado Z71 for 2 years ā€¦ it was rare for it to ever use 4 cylinder mode - in fact I posted that here and some concluded it was the 3.08 gearing.
As for oil consumption? Never any of mine ā€¦ but Iā€™m pretty conservative with break in and early oil change
Iā€™m a long term GM buyer ā€¦ so donā€™t turn to Internet for that ā€¦ Why would I trust them to start with

I have not experienced your issues with any constant degree. Also-while the six speeds are not the most refined transmission around they are not failing in any large numbers-at all.
On the flip side, you will find trucks with not even 10,000 miles having those issues.

wpod--
Mustang is the first ground up engineered (as all electric) performance car built by a major auto manufacturer. It will put Tesla to shame and everybody will want one. The truck is still the bones of the F150, but it has had a major engineering effort to create the first all electric pickup truck built by a major manufacturer. It will be the most powerful F150 to date, and everybody that wants a pickup will want one. Also, no fluids to change, except brake fluid and maybe power steering. Very extended drivetrain service intervals. Use your imagination why it will change the world.

Cylinder deactivation, start/stop, and CVT transmissions. The unholy trinity for many BITOGers, including me. :)
Amen although we have the CVT in our CR-V, and while it does feel like a slushbox, for that type of vehicle, it's a good choice. And fluid changes are a breeze with it, thankfully. :cool:

Mustang is the first ground up engineered (as all electric) performance car built by a major auto manufacturer. It will put Tesla to shame and everybody will want one. The truck is still the bones of the F150, but it has had a major engineering effort to create the first all electric pickup truck built by a major manufacturer. It will be the most powerful F150 to date, and everybody that wants a pickup will want one. Also, no fluids to change, except brake fluid and maybe power steering.
Well, it was sounding good until your last sentence ā˜¹ļø
Hardly any dont have electric steering these days

I had a 2018 Silverado Z71 for 2 years ā€¦ it was rare for it to ever use 4 cylinder mode - in fact I posted that here and some concluded it was the 3.08 gearing.
As for oil consumption? Never any of mine ā€¦ but Iā€™m pretty conservative with break in and early oil change
Iā€™m a long term GM buyer ā€¦ so donā€™t turn to Internet for that ā€¦ Why would I trust them to start with
Lol, but thatā€™s what you just did.

Lol, but thatā€™s what you just did.
Meaning I donā€™t trust the forums that were mentioned ā€¦ this is my only one
This site has zero impact on vehicle selection ā€¦ car care, yes ā€¦ other topics, yes

Last edited:

Here you go, this is all posted just the past couple weeks on the same website, without even looking. Thereā€™s ASE master techs on there that descibe the 6-speed failures, why it happens and how they replace them every single day at the dealer. Torque converter shudders, causing pieces of the transmission pump to grind and send pierces through the valve body.

As for the AFM/collapsible lifters??
I agree, not as bad as people say.

Cadillac had that V8 in the late 70's that went from 8 to 6 and sometimes 4. What a piece of garbage. I guess the idea was have it running only on 4 for the highway. Fords new all electric Mustang coming out soon and the F150 all electric option coming out in 2022 will change the world.

Everyone wants to change the world but what kind of world will it be?

ā€œI want to change the world, but I donā€™t know what to do, so I leave it up to you.ā€

Here you go, this is all posted just the past couple weeks on the same website, without even looking. Thereā€™s ASE master techs on there that descibe the 6-speed failures, why it happens and how they replace them every single day at the dealer. Torque converter shudders, causing pieces of the transmission pump to grind and send pierces through the valve body.

As for the AFM/collapsible lifters??
I agree, not as bad as people say.

The point being at the volume GM sells trucks there are going to be a few failures

The other point being at the volume they are selling them at-if issues were that widespread trucks would be lining up around the block at dealerships.

GM will be out of business in 4 years. They cannot keep up with the times, and come up with garbage ideas like 8-6-4. That horse has been beat dead years ago. But customers keep buying them for some reason.

GM will be out of business in 4 years. They cannot keep up with the times, and come up with garbage ideas like 8-6-4. That horse has been beat dead years ago. But customers keep buying them for some reason.
We should listen to you on
1) vehicles
2) HDEO
3) synthetic lubes

what else ? these ? šŸ„”

Back