Cybertrucks rust in the rain.

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
I know all cars rust over time, but have a look at your Cybertruck after a sprinkle. Or better yet keep it covered. Or better yet, get a quality paint job. Geesh, the thought of sanding that thing inspires .. well.. not much.

“Just picked up my Cybertruck today,” they wrote. “The advisor specifically mentioned the cybertrucks develop orange rust marks in the rain and that required the vehicle to be buffed out.”

This raises a couple questions for me. First, I wonder what grade of stainless steel that Tesla is using on the Cybertruck. Second, I'm curious if Tesla had to compromise on what grade of stainless that they used, in order to have it malleable enough to shape it in the presses.

Regardless, I would be pretty disappointed if it were my car. In the article, it quoted one Cybertruck owner as suggesting that the truck shouldn't be driven in the rain. That's insane. Tesla has been marketing the Cybertruck as a truck with real truck capabilities.

This raises a couple questions for me. First, I wonder what grade of stainless steel that Tesla is using on the Cybertruck. Second, I'm curious if Tesla had to compromise on what grade of stainless that they used, in order to have it malleable enough to shape it in the presses.

Regardless, I would be pretty disappointed if it were my car. In the article, it quoted one Cybertruck owner as suggesting that the truck shouldn't be driven in the rain. That's insane. Tesla has been marketing the Cybertruck as a truck with real truck capabilities.
Probably the lowest chromium content possible that Telsa can buy and still call it stainless steel. The lower the chromium in the steel, the more prone it is to rusting. This thing is more of a joke every time I see more information in regard to it. I know Telsa has terrible QC but this is suppose to be their truck to compete with everyone else's trucks. I leave my truck out in the elements, sure makes the Cybertruck an appealing option when I need to get it sanded every other week to keep the rust off it.

I know all cars rust over time, but have a look at your Cybertruck after a sprinkle. Or better yet keep it covered. Or better yet, get a quality paint job. Geesh, the thought of sanding that thing inspires .. well.. not much.

“Just picked up my Cybertruck today,” they wrote. “The advisor specifically mentioned the cybertrucks develop orange rust marks in the rain and that required the vehicle to be buffed out.”

Better yet, get a truck from "big boys."

Elon actually discovered a new grade of stainless steel that was never described in the scientific literature. Thats how cutting edge and experimental the cyber truck is.

Of course since its a new grade of stainless steel there will be new properties discovered like interaction with rain.

Tesla extensively tested the steel, but they can't test all possible interactions that the truck will experience in the real world.

Last edited:
DeLoreans didn't rust in the rain.
Cheap stainless flatware doesn't rust.
That the Cybertruck does would seem to be a serious concern for any buyer who actually wants to use his expensive new toy like a real road vehicle.

Stain-less steel not stain-free steel. Oops.

Cybertruck body correction kit:

1708039806066.jpeg

Elon actually discovered a new grade of stainless steel that was never described in the scientific literature. Thats how cutting edge and experimental the cyber truck is.

Of course since its a new grade of stainless steel there will be new properties discovered like interaction with rain.

Tesla extensively tested the steel, but they can't test all possible interactions that the truck will experience in the real world.
I have my doubts about how extensively they tested the steel. The early adopters are now doing the only testing that matters, on their dime. Maybe he can recall them and spray them with clear coat, or wrap them. Or give the early adopters some steel wool to polish them with. ;)

Last edited:
Stainless Steel 300-series is what is used on Cybertruck. but they d'ont specify what grade of 300-series they are using. and there are many. ranging from the cheap and malleable 301 to the chirurgical 316. not all Stainless Steels are created equal. but they all serve a purpose. the marine grades and chirurgical grades are the most resistant. DeLorean used 304-series stainless steel. the most common grade, but very good corrosion resistance.

Back