Cybertruck 70-MPH Range Test

Trucks are a bad idea for EVs. I've said it 100 times. They're barely passable as ICE as dailys but egos and small male appendages make this a huge selling point. EVs trucks and ICE truck are wasteful as commuters are a horribly sad phallus measuring contest. Most will argue that their freedoms allow them to fight to hide their miniscule flesh rockets, but at the end of the day it's just a sad state of small bank accounts for overpaying for these overcompensating haulers to hopefully distract from less than endowed lower regions.
So, how does this work when it's a woman driving it? :unsure:

So, how does this work when it's a woman driving it? :unsure:
There might be a box joke here, but I got nothing. 😂

I'm sorry but those that think the EV is sending some signal to others is the same thing I get from large trucks and SUVs that aren't towing something. I get that EVs aren't practical to some, but what isn't practical to me is when I have to squeeze out of my subcompact because the truck in the parking space next to me is too big for the space it is in. Sure it's technically between the lines but it really doesn't fit. Just because vehicles keep getting bigger doesn't mean the rest of infrastructure is there to accommodate it. Does that mean we need bigger spaces which reduces the amount of spaces available? Absolutely not. Seriously some trucks we can buy require clearance lights from the factory. It's laughably stupid.

I'm sorry but those that think the EV is sending some signal to others is the same thing I get from large trucks and SUVs that aren't towing something. I get that EVs aren't practical to some, but what isn't practical to me is when I have to squeeze out of my subcompact because the truck in the parking space next to me is too big for the space it is in. Sure it's technically between the lines but it really doesn't fit. Just because vehicles keep getting bigger doesn't mean the rest of infrastructure is there to accommodate it. Does that mean we need bigger spaces which reduces the amount of spaces available? Absolutely not. Seriously some trucks we can buy require clearance lights from the factory. It's laughably stupid.
Of course your store is lacking and you need bigger spaces. The truck is a legal size, don’t blame the truck for whatever stores you were talking about, trying to squeeze as many vehicles into their parking lots as they can.

That's a zoning issue. Local zoning dictates the number of parking spaces.

Of course your store is lacking and you need bigger spaces. The truck is a legal size, don’t blame the truck for whatever stores you were talking about, trying to squeeze as many vehicles into their parking lots as they can.

A freightliner is also of "legal size". Doesn't mean it has a right to fit in a parking deck. Nobody has a right to park on private property.

That's a zoning issue. Local zoning dictates the number of parking spaces.
By all means then lets just keep making bigger vehicles though to push those boundaries. We'll just expand parking spaces to 12 feet wide and continue to reduce the amount of spaces. Some of these trucks are 7.5 feet wide. A standard F150 is 6.67 ft wide which is 79.9 inches which is the cut off for needing clearance lights. It would be probably be wider if they didn't have to add extra lights to it.

By all means then lets just keep making bigger vehicles though to push those boundaries. We'll just expand parking spaces to 12 feet wide and continue to reduce the amount of spaces. Some of these trucks are 7.5 feet wide. A standard F150 is 6.67 ft wide which is 79.9 inches which is the cut off for needing clearance lights. It would be probably be wider if they didn't have to add extra lights to it.
LOL..I get it. When I would commute to downtown I would occasionally see a Super Duty/Raptor hit the maximum vehicle height bar in the parking garage entrance. The vehicle could barely move through the parking garage and the bed would extend out into the aisle.

Last edited:
LOL..I get it. When I would commute to downtown I would occasionally see a Super Duty/Raptor hit the maximum vehicle height bar in the parking garage entrance. The vehicle could barely move through the parking garage and the bed would extend out into the aisle.
This is why I prefer to take my Jeep when I go to Toronto, my wife's truck is not well suited for the parking garages there. I can't imagine something like an Excursion.

This is why I prefer to take my Jeep when I go to Toronto, my wife's truck is not well suited for the parking garages there. I can't imagine something like an Excursion.
A Jeep has got to be wonderful for tight maneuvering. Probably the best of all worlds for an offroader. I looked at them before I bought the GTI, but there's only so many places to park vehicles where I live and money to buy things with wheels.

You are talking about that (sweet SRT ) cherokee SUV right?

Not a short wheelbase CJ?

Correct. It's still very maneuverable, as the wheelbase is much shorter than our truck. It's really not a very big vehicle.

Oh ..for sure and still rides great.

Whats the category its in - mid sized SUV?

I (almost) never road trip my short bed half ton unless somethings on the hitch. Long bed trucks are nightmare in the city.

Oh ..for sure and still rides great.

Whats the category its in - mid sized SUV?

I (almost) never road trip my short bed half ton unless somethings on the hitch. Long bed trucks are nightmare in the city.
Yeah, it's a mid-sized I believe.

Regarding the OP, who drives at 70 MPH? You will get run over on the interstates here. More realistic would be range at 80 MPH a range of different temperatures so the buyer can compare.

I think the EPA should require 3 or 4 different range estimates for EVs because the difference can be life or death.
Maybe 0F, 20F, 60F and 100F and a warning that the vehicle may not operate properly below -10F
I've always told people that Ev's should be tested with everything on. Lights, heat, A/C, wipers going, radio, etc. Nobody except maybe the little old lady down the street drives super conservative.

I've always told people that Ev's should be tested with everything on. Lights, heat, A/C, wipers going, radio, etc. Nobody except maybe the little old lady down the street drives super conservative.
You're not wrong. You can't just kill the headlights at night because power is getting low.

Recent move last year towing a boat was a steady 78 to 82 MPH, second trip was towing the largest towable U-Haul at the same speeds. MPGs arent all that worse, never under 17.
I need to correct something here. Just noticed it. My 3 row SUV never gets under 17 MPG.
I made a mistake in the above post.
Last year towing a boat for 200 miles at 80 to 85 MPH for the interstate part of the trip roughly 2ish hours and another trip at the same speeds towing the largest towable U-Haul netted me 13 to 14 MPG Not 17

The over all average (non towing) for this truck is 19 and I do get higher for normal interstate cruising.

I need to correct something here. Just noticed it. My 3 row SUV never gets under 17 MPG.
I made a mistake in the above post.
Last year towing a boat for 200 miles at 80 to 85 MPH for the interstate part of the trip roughly 2ish hours and another trip at the same speeds towing the largest towable U-Haul netted me 13 to 14 MPG Not 17

The over all average (non towing) for this truck is 19 and I do get higher for normal interstate cruising.
Thank you, I was wondering what kind of magical engine this was that was able to offer the same mileage regardless of towing.

Back