Cybertruck 70-MPH Range Test

Early owner towing test. Pulled a Model Y on a dual-axle open trailer (~6,000lbs) and it’ll do about 115 miles from 100% - 0%. Weather was about perfect. Dual Motor CT on stock tires.

Keep in mind, the tri-motor Cyberbeast has even worse range. 😵

IMG_5954.png

I wonder what the range would be at a realistic 80 to 85 mph
Not good like every every vehicle is at that speed. Verging on laughable though. Still amazes me we have speed limits like that. Never been on any of those roads. Highest posted I’ve personally seen was 75.

In not sure realistic is the word when tires are speed limited to many trucks at 100mph. It’s got to be a fairly small percentage that have access to those roads and likely less than that who possess the skills to safely pilot such a ridiculous vehicle at that speed. I think range may be the least of its worries in that situation.

If sustained high speed is a consideration I could think of at least 100 vehicles to choose over this one and none are trucks. Probably the wrong tool for the job.

The types of folks buying CTs don’t care about the environment lol. They’re all hypebeast influencers that worship Elon and his weird anarcho-capitalist/chud libertarian mindset.
Not all Libertarians are nut jobs. Musk pretends to be "freedom loving" lets not associate him with real libertarians thanks.

Doesn’t look good for real life range. (12 stops in 1340 miles)

That is not far off my FL to VT trip, with 11 stops in a Model S long range.

Although very impractical, the trip could be done in fewer stops if allowed to charge to 100% at each stop, and driven to as low as possible with regard to next charger locations.

As always, practical highway range is something approximating 80% to 10%. Best I've ever done is 200 miles, starting at 100% and ending at 4%.

Not all Libertarians are nut jobs. Musk pretends to be "freedom loving" lets not associate him with real libertarians thanks.
Yeah I don't know what to call what he is, but I don't see Libertarian in that as much as he sees it in himself(assuming that's what he thinks).

That is not far off my FL to VT trip, with 11 stops in a Model S long range.

Although very impractical, the trip could be done in fewer stops if allowed to charge to 100% at each stop, and driven to as low as possible with regard to next charger locations.

As always, practical highway range is something approximating 80% to 10%. Best I've ever done is 200 miles, starting at 100% and ending at 4%.
Or a small VW TDI with one stop when starting off with a full tank. I drove one from Nashville to Boston over 1100 mi with one fuel stop and still had plenty of fuel left. I only stopped for food and coffee the whole trip.

Or a small VW TDI with one stop when starting off with a full tank. I drove one from Nashville to Boston over 1100 mi with one fuel stop and still had plenty of fuel left. I only stopped for food and coffee the whole trip.
I'm not doing this with an EV either. Either fortunately or unfortunately I don't have time for road trips like this these days no matter what car I take. 1100 would be 3 stops in the GTI. I could possibly do something like this once a year. I'd have to use the Tesla app to check what it would be in the Model 3, but with it being the standard car, this would have to be 6 most likely.

Which should disqualify it for purchase as a civilian pickup truck, but that's another topic.
yeah, everyone should do things that make me feel comfortable. Everyone should else should change, not me!!

Regarding the OP, who drives at 70 MPH? You will get run over on the interstates here. More realistic would be range at 80 MPH a range of different temperatures so the buyer can compare.

I think the EPA should require 3 or 4 different range estimates for EVs because the difference can be life or death.
Maybe 0F, 20F, 60F and 100F and a warning that the vehicle may not operate properly below -10F

Not good like every every vehicle is at that speed. Verging on laughable though. Still amazes me we have speed limits like that. Never been on any of those roads. Highest posted I’ve personally seen was 75.

In not sure realistic is the word when tires are speed limited to many trucks at 100mph. It’s got to be a fairly small percentage that have access to those roads and likely less than that who possess the skills to safely pilot such a ridiculous vehicle at that speed. I think range may be the least of its worries in that situation.

If sustained high speed is a consideration I could think of at least 100 vehicles to choose over this one and none are trucks. Probably the wrong tool for the job.
Sorry man, you are way wrong on that. I get 19/20 MPG in my 3 row Chevy Traverse with 5100 lb tow rating at those speeds which is higher then if I was local driving. You dont dare do 70 mph or risk getting rear ended. Min is 80 in many places to avoid getting passed like you are standing still. Its the land of the free down here, minus a radar or two in some border areas.

Recent move last year towing a boat was a steady 78 to 82 MPH, second trip was towing the largest towable U-Haul at the same speeds. MPGs arent all that worse, never under 17.

Non towing From SC to FL even at 85 MPH sometimes you get caught off guard at vehicles passing you. Some cases even semi's will tailgate in the mid to upper 70s. I know of a Traverse (not mine) that out of curiosity followed some of those cars one time got to 97 MPH with more room to go but satisfied with the still smooth ride and backed down right away, was just a fun thing. No one does sustained 100 MPH except some rare states with those roads but a truck can be a super comfortable way to fly.
Smooth, quiet, comfortable, what's not to like vs a punishing unsustainable ride in a small vehicle? We arent talking a curved race track, we are talking wide open, straight interstate high double digit to low triple digit amount of miles.

Last edited:
Sorry man, you are way wrong on that. I get 19/20 MPG in my 3 row Chevy Traverse with 5100 lb tow rating at those speeds which is higher then if I was local driving. You dont dare do 70 mph or risk getting rear ended. Min is 80 in many places to avoid getting passed like you are standing still. Its the land of the free down here, minus a radar or two in some border areas.
I'm saying I haven't seen those posted speed limits. I understand fast traffic, I've dealt with that. I don't know what to tell you, the laws of physics don't work for it not to drop your fuel economy. Air resistance increasing speed another 10mph no matter how good the gearing is will see a loss. I'd lose a minimum of 2mpg doing something similar when I had my F150 for a sustained amount of time. The GTI gets north of 30mpg no matter what I do, but I've seen 39mpg out of it. I know I'm not getting 39mpg out of it north of 80mph.

I'm not doing this with an EV either. Either fortunately or unfortunately I don't have time for road trips like this these days no matter what car I take. 1100 would be 3 stops in the GTI. I could possibly do something like this once a year. I'd have to use the Tesla app to check what it would be in the Model 3, but with it being the standard car, this would have to be 6 most likely.
I bought it down there because it was low miles and rust free and clean. Given past experiences with transport companies I figured it was easier just to drive it back.

I bought it down there because it was low miles and rust free and clean. Given past experiences with transport companies I figured it was easier just to drive it back.
I haven't had a car hauled long distance before, but I've heard a lot of horror stories. I'd rather take my chances long distance driving it as well.

This thing is way off the promised range and price.

It's just a big fun toy with limited practicality for a guy like me.

I think it's ugly but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Trucks are a bad idea for EVs. I've said it 100 times. They're barely passable as ICE as dailys but egos and small male appendages make this a huge selling point. EVs trucks and ICE truck are wasteful as commuters are a horribly sad phallus measuring contest. Most will argue that their freedoms allow them to fight to hide their miniscule flesh rockets, but at the end of the day it's just a sad state of small bank accounts for overpaying for these overcompensating haulers to hopefully distract from less than endowed lower regions.

Back