Cybertruck 70-MPH Range Test

I am a huge fan of the 4680's, but it does seem that the limitations Tesla imposed on itself during the design really did reduce the internal "roll" height a bit. Along with the first few wraps not having tabs at all. In the end these cells are about 295Wh/Kg and about 26Ah each. There is nothing shabby or substandard about the cells. Only that Tesla did not include enough of them.

Each cell has about 2375 square centimeters of electrode surface area.

BMW is going with a very similar configuration, but 4695 cells (95mm tall instead of 80). The geometry of this change gives a healthy 26% increase in energy. Simply because the roll inside has 26%-27% more electrode surface area than the 4680.

Remember, the 46 is the diameter in mm, and the 80 is the height in mm.

BTW, the battery capacity is 122.4 kWh and achieved 254 to absolute dead.
The F150 Lightning is 131 kWh and achieved 260-270 miles to absolute dead, at 70 in ideal conditions. Other tests are lower.
I don’t think the 4680 have tabs. And an extra tab at some specific place in the jelly roll won’t make that big of a deal when not at high rates. I can say from data I’ve taken, the 4680 is not a rate capable cell…

I don’t think the 4680 have tabs. And an extra tab at some specific place in the jelly roll won’t make that big of a deal when not at high rates. I can say from data I’ve taken, the 4680 is not a rate capable cell…
Tabless cell :) with what looks to be a thousand folded over tabs. I really did not mean to misspeak, but I don't know what to call the "tabless" tabs.

What I was trying to say is that the outer few wraps (layers) seem not to have these "tab-like" connectors.

tesla_4680_battery_cells.jpg

did out of spec, publish a towing range coupled with supercharge times?

They said there’s a full charging curve video coming soon. Kyle Connor’s comments on a few podcasts seem to match the photos posted online in December. It charges well (250kw) through about 25% then drops-off massively. Charging is fair-poor overall, similar to the slow charging of 4680 equipped Model Ys.

Not sure about towing, but they did bring a trailer down to Austin. They might have mentioned they ran out of time to do a full towing test.

Pretty good outline here.

It's worth noting that during the first 15 minutes of the session, the battery SOC increased from 14% to 49%, which means 35 percentage points or about 112 miles out of 320 miles total. That's not far from Tesla's claim of 128 miles in 15 minutes, especially because the highest charging rate is probably from about 0% to 20% SOC.

Will be interesting to see what the 1K KWH chargers may bring to it.

Interesting summary from this test

Tesla Cybertruck Vs. Other Pickups​

But let's take a look at the fast charging capabilities of other all-electric pickups.

The Ford F-150 Lightning Extended Range, according to specs, can accept about 150 kilowatts and recharge from 15 to 80% SOC in 41 minutes, adding up to 54 miles of range in 10 minutes. The Rivian R1T (the original Quad Motor version) was rated at up to 210 kW and is capable of replenishing up to 140 miles of range in 20 minutes. And the Lordstown Endurance (we know, it's DOA), was promised to get 150 kW and recharge from 20 to 80% SOC in 45 minutes. Finally, the newest all-electric pickup, the Chevrolet Silverado EV, is expected to add about 100 miles of range in 10 minutes, so it should be the best of all models on the market in this metric.

They said there’s a full charging curve video coming soon. Kyle Connor’s comments on a few podcasts seem to match the photos posted online in December. It charges well (250kw) through about 25% then drops-off massively. Charging is fair-poor overall, similar to the slow charging of 4680 equipped Model Ys.

Not sure about towing, but they did bring a trailer down to Austin. They might have mentioned they ran out of time to do a full towing test.
I like Kyle, with the exception he doesn't use a character generator and show the results of his tests on screen.
He talks them out all over the place and he's difficult to follow without a summary of the results to read.

Bjorn keeps a spreadsheet online anyone can go look at.

Last edited:
The list of worst EVs available currently can be summed up by every one that is a truck. Easily the worst platform for an EV. Sucks heavily laden. Range and consumption is atrocious compared to a lighter, more aerodynamic EV unladen and treated as standard transportation.

A truck is hilariously sad as a single person driven unladen piece of regular transportation. An EV version doubles down on the stupidity and should require a red nose and a clown wig to drive.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm guessing no. I don't remember seeing Out of Spec doing any towing reviews. TFL Truck will definitely put it through its paces with their towing tests and their regular car channel tests a lot of EVs.

I referenced it in another thread, but the Out of Spec range test is now published with numbers.

Dual motor with stock All-Terrain tires. Steady 70-MPH. Zero wind, zero traffic, nearly zero elevation (Austin TX), 45F

100% - 0%: 242 miles
100% - unable to hold 70 MPH: 249 miles
100% - totally dead: 254 miles

More realistically, go from 90%-5%, add in some wind, traffic, a few hard accelerations to merge and this is barely a 200 mile vehicle. And the Tri-Motor “Cyberbeast” version gets even less range.

Let’s just say there’s a reason they came up with this last-minute idea of a range-extender they’ll install in the bed…

In summary, it’s worse than the Lightning (ER Pack) or Rivian and FAR worse than Hummer EV or Silverado EV

Peak dork. These guys don't get out much.

Also, "nearly zero elevation" in the Austin area really depends on which way you go. I have ridden my bicycle from SW Austin to Fredericksburg and back on country roads and the Garmin indicated 12,500 feet of elevation gain for the (long) day. About 186 miles, IIRC. and 16ish hours including stops.

Regarding the test, can't say I'm really surprised. None of the EVs in the marketplace meet their EPA ratings at the kinds of speeds we drive on the highway in Texas. I'm guessing you'd have to drive 60 or less to meet the EPA range, which would definitely not be safe on the 130 tollway.

If I bought one of those things, the first thing I'd do is get the lowest rolling resistance highway tires available. I'd bet that would be worth an extra 20 miles at least. Nobody is going to take these things offroad, at least, in the initial tranche of buyers at big, big money. And if you can afford one of these things it doesn't seem like such a reach to have two sets of tires for it anyway.

I am a huge fan of the 4680's, but it does seem that the limitations Tesla imposed on itself during the design really did reduce the internal "roll" height a bit. Along with the first few wraps not having tabs at all. In the end these cells are about 295Wh/Kg and about 26Ah each. There is nothing shabby or substandard about the cells. Only that Tesla did not include enough of them.

Each cell has about 2375 square centimeters of electrode surface area.

BMW is going with a very similar configuration, but 4695 cells (95mm tall instead of 80). The geometry of this change gives a healthy 26% increase in energy. Simply because the roll inside has 26%-27% more electrode surface area than the 4680.

Remember, the 46 is the diameter in mm, and the 80 is the height in mm.

BTW, the battery capacity is 122.4 kWh and achieved 254 to absolute dead.
The F150 Lightning is 131 kWh and achieved 260-270 miles to absolute dead, at 70 in ideal conditions. Other tests are lower.
The biggest problem is that Tesla decided to forge full speed ahead with dry coating on the cybertruck. Unfortunately engineers have told musk that technology doesn't scale up well and from their numbers Tesla will be lucky to build
24,000 per year not the 200k that Musk promised back in November. Second TFL just posted a video with the Owner Roman Micah and another editor who both have Cybertruck reservations. According to the editor he had a friend at Tesla look up his reservation number to see where he was in line 49,999. He was told it will be a while before he gets one. This past week he was emailed by Tesla saying that he can go ahead and finalize or complete his order. This got both wondering if orders are being cancelled faster than Tesla claims and two, if that's the case then apparently people don't want to pay the crazy markup for the "founders edition".

Peak dork. These guys don't get out much.

Also, "nearly zero elevation" in the Austin area really depends on which way you go. I have ridden my bicycle from SW Austin to Fredericksburg and back on country roads and the Garmin indicated 12,500 feet of elevation gain for the (long) day. About 186 miles, IIRC. and 16ish hours including stops.

Regarding the test, can't say I'm really surprised. None of the EVs in the marketplace meet their EPA ratings at the kinds of speeds we drive on the highway in Texas. I'm guessing you'd have to drive 60 or less to meet the EPA range, which would definitely not be safe on the 130 tollway.

If I bought one of those things, the first thing I'd do is get the lowest rolling resistance highway tires available. I'd bet that would be worth an extra 20 miles at least. Nobody is going to take these things offroad, at least, in the initial tranche of buyers at big, big money. And if you can afford one of these things it doesn't seem like such a reach to have two sets of tires for it anyway.
Out of Spec is peak dork? Possibly, but he makes a lot of money doing this stuff. I will say I do like his videos. It satisfies my inner nerd when it comes to long range EVs.

As far as using a EV truck as an EV, I have absolutely no interest. I understand why anyone would be curious of this, I just think they're barking up the wrong tree. I think most of those asking those questions want to see the EV truck fail. You will not be disappointed, it will disappoint towing every single time. These people already think the range is too short unladen and for truck owners I tend to agree. The 36 gallon tank in my 5.0 F150 was supposedly capable of 700 miles. I never pushed it that far, but I legitimately made it 600 miles twice on a road trip before the gas light came on. I wasn't the only one in the truck and I had a bed full of luggage.

it will disappoint towing every single time.
Battery density is not yet there for serious towing work, even the most strident EV fan would admit that. You'd have to buy a Tesla Semi to tow a 5th wheel a useful distance, and then, how do you charge it? No public use Mega chargers out there.

It's the same all the other EV trucks in the end, if they can sell any of them at a price approaching the original $40K of the Cybertruck, they'll sell quite a few, but at $70-$100K, they won't sell too many.

Battery density is not yet there for serious towing work, even the most strident EV fan would admit that. You'd have to buy a Tesla Semi to tow a 5th wheel a useful distance, and then, how do you charge it? No public use Mega chargers out there.

It's the same all the other EV trucks in the end, if they can sell any of them at a price approaching the original $40K of the Cybertruck, they'll sell quite a few, but at $70-$100K, they won't sell too many.

With 200 KWH the Silverado is getting there and would be enough for a lot of guys. Too bad it weighs 8500LB.

With 200 KWH the Silverado is getting there and would be enough for a lot of guys. Too bad it weighs 8500LB.
Well if you could buy one for under 50K it might be an option. The weight of the vehicle highlights the battery density issue for large batteries. We really need a breakthrough in battery density like the solid state batteries that Toyota has been talking about. Unfortunately to this point there is no steak to go with the sizzle.

At 8500 lbs is this thing classified as an HD vehicle?

Well if you could buy one for under 50K it might be an option. The weight of the vehicle highlights the battery density issue for large batteries. We really need a breakthrough in battery density like the solid state batteries that Toyota has been talking about. Unfortunately to this point there is no steak to go with the sizzle.

At 8500 lbs is this thing classified as an HD vehicle?

Im pretty sure it's considered an HD vehicle.

They talked about towing tests here. All these trucks are owned by employees. The employee owners who said they could tow with these all flaked-out last-minute and forbid them from towing. They even had employees who said they could use their trucks for reviews but wouldn’t allow them to say anything bad about the trucks 😂😂

Back