CX30 Oil

I have a 2021 CX30. Moved away from dealer so will be changing my own oil. What oil do you recommend? Mazda claims high moly. Also, and preference as to filter? thanx.

The mazda oil isn't that special. If it were mine I'd use something 30 grade instead of 20. I'd see myself using pennzoil platinum euro L which I used in my daughters na 4 cyl engines. It's great for protecting timing components as ll-04 is a strict specification to meet which i know mazda oil can't. The mazda filters are ok but not the best. I'd rather use a fram endurance and I'd leave that on for three 6k intervals which is well below the 25k rating since the original is the shorter 6607 but the longer 7317 fits and has more filter media and costs the same. I do take filters to that length without issue.

Last edited:
Our 23 CX 30 non turbo using purolator one with kirkland 0W-20 and new gasket on low 30$ for all vs 79.99 plus per dealer.20 minutes of my time vs at least 2 hours on dealer(includes drive back and forth and the wait)

What engine?

If you want to continue with high moly, switch to Valvoline Synthetics. They are all pretty high moly.

0W20 for non-turbo
5W30 for turbo

I drive a Mazda 6 with the same engine. I recently switched from 20 weight to 30 weight oil and you will lose maybe 1 mpg, but it's been highly reported that Mazda recommends 5W-30 for this engine in the rest of the world and it will protect the internals of your engine better over time. Really any of the "Big 5" Valvoline, Quaker State, Castrol, Mobil 1 or Pennzoil will do you well. The engine has a history of not being picky about oil.

As for filter, it really is a personal choice based on some research and your own application, but you can't go wrong with any iteration of the "Premium Guard" filters. They are rebranded under various names, just do a quick search and browse through the results on this forum and that will give you a good idea. I just get the Microguard from O'Reilly because it is the closest parts store to me.

I don't think you specified but if you do have a turbo, you may want to go with a 40 weight oil, I am not a turbo aficionado, but I think they require heavier oil, I am sure someone else can advise you on this if you do have a turbo.

Thanks! Just what I was looking for. Do I still need that gasket if I use, say, a Purolator filter, or any toher filter?

I assume by gasket, you mean the crush washer for the drain plug?

If so, yes, it is standard practice to replace that with every oil change, some people do use them for a couple of oil changes. Aftermarket filters will not come with them like the Mazda filter does, but just search for "2021 CX-30 crush washer" on Amazon and it should give you plenty of options.

If you really wanna dig around you can search "Mazda OEM parts" and find crush washers through a local dealer or a place called "Mazda Swag." I get mine through Rock Auto, they a very widely sold part. Even your local auto parts store should have them, just ask at the desk and they'll point you in the right direction.

The key is making sure it is for an "M14" plug size. At least that is what my drain plug size is, I am not sure if Mazda has changed that at all.

Might have actually put 5W-30 in there. Owners manual is good with either one

Yeah, the manual for our CX50 says “recommended” oil is 0W20 and goes on to state that 0W20 is “required for better fuel economy”.
Other than USA and Canada, 5W30
So there’s nothing in writing that says that 0W20 is “required” for anything other than a marginal MPG difference.
I almost went with a 5W30 for the first oil change, but I had a 5 quart jug of Mobil1 EP 0W20, so I used it.
We’re going on a 2 week road trip through the Southwest in July, I’m not worried about the 0W20.
I do OCI’s of 5k/6months, whichever comes first. So I’m not really too worried about fuel dilution either to be honest.
I still may have a UOA done after the next OCI to see how the 0W20 is holding up in that regard, just out of curiosity.

Yeah, the manual for our CX50 says “recommended” oil is 0W20 and goes on to state that 0W20 is “required for better fuel economy”.
Other than USA and Canada, 5W30
So there’s nothing in writing that says that 0W20 is “required” for anything other than a marginal MPG difference.
I almost went with a 5W30 for the first oil change, but I had a 5 quart jug of Mobil1 EP 0W20, so I used it.
We’re going on a 2 week road trip through the Southwest in July, I’m not worried about the 0W20.
I do OCI’s of 5k/6months, whichever comes first. So I’m not really too worried about fuel dilution either to be honest.
I still may have a UOA done after the next OCI to see how the 0W20 is holding up in that regard, just out of curiosity.
IMHO Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 is amazing stuff. No doubt

Back