Moly or Boron preference?

Ahh yes Shell oil that is factory filled in every Ferrari including the high revving ones has lots of problem with aeration. :ROFLMAO:
And works with BMW motorsports team, Hyundai WRC-team etc etc.

I think you mean much higher priced oil ;)
or can you give us the source with more info?
I'm pretty sure Lake Speed took down and edited that video removing the foam test with Shell Rotella. I remember it as well.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Lake Speed took down and edited that video removing the foam test with Shell Rotella. I remember it as well.

Rotella was tested a few weeks after Lake was in the lab shooting the video. He had to take the video down due to a copyright hit for one of the songs he put in the video. He edited out the song and reposted the video. That was the only change. I have both versions of the video.

Rotella was tested a few weeks after Lake was in the lab shooting the video. He had to take the video down due to a copyright hit for one of the songs he put in the video. He edited out the song and reposted the video. That was the only change. I have both versions of the video.
So where did the video showing Rotella go or was it a still?

The difference is not a significant one. The way approvals and licensing are handled doesn't allow much variance. The testing is primarily handled by the additive companies who put together add packs and base oil blends to send off for testing to that license or approval. If it passes, it's sold as an approved add pack. Brands / manufacturers purchase those add packs, buy the license, and then blend the oil to the recipe of that test. Blenders are limited in how much they can deviate from that recipe. Something like adding extra anti-oxidant, a little ester, or some ashless FM are out of the question. Even though they would improve the oil, they weren't present for testing and thus not allowed.

There are multiple approved add packs out there with some being better than others, but not by any huge margins. The most variation you'll find is with Shell and Mobil 1 as they co-own their own additive company.

This corners licensed oils into the same small box chemistry wise. You often have to ditch the cert to go outside the box to make substantial leaps in performance. The certs offer no incentive to do more than the minimum standard either. Therefore, it's usually a race to the bottom with brands spending more time finding ways to cut down production cost so they can retail cheaper than a competitor.
Great explanation

would Chevron who makes Havoline engine oils,,use Oronite additive pacs,also be like Shell/Mobil,infinium be classified as a full lubricant manufacture instead of a blender? so they can more closely formulate their products more to their liking as still meet required license and api & manufactures etc parameters that other blenders may not be able to without restrictions??

Post of V.O.A. 11 months ago by F.B.M. .

IMG_3920.JPG
IMG_3922.JPG
IMG_3923.JPG

Back