CV Axle Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the used 2001 Ranger 4x4 I picked up has a leaking seal at the front axle where the CV half shaft connects. Since I've got to pull the half shaft to replace the seal, is there any harm in replacing the boots and re-greasing the joint? I've never had to deal with CV joints before. I did check and the only replacement axles are aftermarket so I was hoping to get the original ones to last for a while.

Thanks!

See if Raxles offers an axle for your Ranger. While they are still reman, they actually rebuild the axle properly, using new joints and no regrind
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
See if Raxles offers an axle for your Ranger. While they are still reman, they actually rebuild the axle properly, using new joints and no regrind
smile.gif

Thanks, I'll check

Here's a tip: Before pulling the seal, take a pick or some nose pliers and pull out the soft part of the seal and its spring. All that should be left is the metal flange part. Now -- pull the metal flange part from the transmission by prying very carefully with either a prybar or a seal puller. Take very special care not to damage the sealing surface of the transmission that the metal flange part presses up against. I'm telling you this from experience in hopes of saving someone else the agony of having a permanent fluid leak. If you damage the sealing surface of the transmission by trying to pull the seal with all the soft parts still in it, the fluid will then escape out between the flange and the transmission.

Originally Posted by perfect_oil
Here's a tip: Before pulling the seal, take a pick or some nose pliers and pull out the soft part of the seal and its spring. All that should be left is the metal flange part. Now -- pull the metal flange part from the transmission by prying very carefully with either a prybar or a seal puller. Take very special care not to damage the sealing surface of the transmission that the metal flange part presses up against. I'm telling you this from experience in hopes of saving someone else the agony of having a permanent fluid leak. If you damage the sealing surface of the transmission by trying to pull the seal with all the soft parts still in it, the fluid will then escape out between the flange and the transmission.

Thanks!

If the original axle is still in good shape (boot not torn yet), you are better off continuing to use it with a new, good quality boot. As long as the original is kept sealed/greased and hasn't suffered extensive trauma such as offroading, or a lift kit put on (or torsion twist if that's the type of front end it uses), then it should still be in good shape.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Be careful buying replacement axle boots. They vary a lot in quality, just like replacement axles. You usually get what you pay for. Almost anything by Cardone is horrendous.

I can only find Moog and Dorman. Still looking.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back