Cutting Trees

This one way to the left is like 3 or 4 together.
I'm not liking it at all and it covers my water spigot and my dehumidifier vent. At least unlike the two out front it doesn't trash my front entrance.

20211110_153721_HDR.jpg

When anything becomes a nuisance it is time to deal with it. Years ago I had a beautiful Japanese Maple growing right off my deck. It was getting in the way and I was reluctant to cut it. Finally after a couple years of debate I cut it out. I was so glad I did. It was a breath of fresh air.

Must be my old age but I feel bad cutting out good trees.
I really don't like trees and bushes planted against a house.

Years ago I had to work around that daily. My dilemma...
I have three holly trees the original owner planted against the house.

I guess they are around 25 ft tall but healthy. I'd really like to cut them out and all the bushes and shrubs.

I have brown stone instead of mulch.
I might plant something miniature or nothing. Makes mowing and trimming easier. Plus trees against a house cause all kinds of issues.

Sort of feel bad about it but holly trees can be very dirty too along a front entrance and one is rubbing my master bedroom window and gutter.

Do you feel bad about cutting down healthy trees?
Not bad if they cause problems. I had (3) smaller holly trees planted by P/Owner. I got a big chain and hooked it to the back of my 4WD Bronco and slow rolled my truck - in an hours time had them all on the trash pile for burning. They easily popped right out of the ground and would have been big problems later on as they had been put in a huge flower bed way to close to foundation of the house, Got a giant live oak in back yard that shades the entire house usually from noon till dark and really makes a difference in cooling comfort, less strain on HVAC unit and lower energy bills. Could do without the 9 months of leaves & acorns all over the place. A trade off.

When anything becomes a nuisance it is time to deal with it. Years ago I had a beautiful Japanese Maple growing right off my deck. It was getting in the way and I was reluctant to cut it. Finally after a couple years of debate I cut it out. I was so glad I did. It was a breath of fresh air.
My father planted trees all over the place up until the day he passed.
Made life tough as I did all the mowing.
Some of those trees need to go but I'm not sure I want to cut them.
Stuff we all deal with

My father planted trees all over the place up until the day he passed.
Made life tough as I did all the mowing.
Some of those trees need to go but I'm not sure I want to cut them.
Stuff we all deal with
That's a tough call.

A major problem in NE states are invasive species trees and bushes. Another problem are invasive insects. We just spent close to $2,000 having two huge ash trees removed next to the property line due to the emerald ash borer. There are several in the wood lot that will fall naturally as I no longer cut large trees for fire wood due to loss of agility.

We just spent close to $2,000 having two huge ash trees removed next to the property line
Ouch. We just paid a local arborist and crew (it hurts to say) $3500 to remove a bunch of big branches from my tree hanging over my neighbors and my yards that were trashed and twisted by a storm. At least it did clean it out and make it really nice and good now for a number of years to come.

I can't agree more. Well said.
Miniature trees that grow full size and so on. Bushes that grow over your windows etc.
As you said instant curb appeal.
Twenty years later a fiasco.
Shade, hard to get, easy to get rid of.

I had to cut about 20 trees on my property this past month.. it was time. My dad planted a Mimosa in the front yard about 45 years ago.. while it was beautiful, it took about 40 years to get into the power lines. The rest were 100 year old or older oaks and many box elders (which i hate). Under each of the oaks were small spindly saplings which were starved for light... so in 100 or so years they will be someone elses issue. They seem to wait years and years until their elders fall and give them life.

I am of the age now where i understand that everything has a purpose and I am choosing to plant a few peach trees and a few apple trees to make a small orchard. If you ever get a chance to see either of those trees in action.. the blooms are rife with pollinators, then the fruit is desired by just about every living creature. I plan on planting a few of each because in the end one tree will be more than enough for myself and selected friends.. One tree is for nature, and the other in case disease or bad winter etc. Once the other two are established i will likely remove the third....unless i find someone into canning or baking that wants.

The purpose of the Mimosa as i saw over the years was a festival for the humminbirds. They loved the blooms.

The purpose of the oaks was to feed squirrels, turkeys, deer, etc.

The purpose of the box elders... seemed to be to live on the creek banks.. while they were ugly..gave off a huge mess.. they did protect the banks from erosion.

Been into home landscaping my whole life.
Its an evil necessity to keep things proper looking and nice. Actually above my post is a perfect saying "part of maintenance"
As far as near the house, agree with the others, they have to go for sure. Bushes and trees should never be in contact with the house and never be overpowering or shading it too much.

I was always careful to select the right stuff near the home but just in the last year started cutting and taking out some shrubs in the yard away from the house that have grown to much over the last 15 years some of which were Hollys which really look nice in the winter with the dark green and red berries but replanted with some young emerald green arborvitaes which always stay well behaved and as I get older, not sure if I will be able to do this cycle again ripping out old shrubs! *L* Its a lot of work.
I know some are concerned about roots and stumps but I am one who has never, ever worried about it regrowing. I cut the shrub or tree down to the dirt and leave it and many times plant the replacement right up against the trunk. Maybe for a while you need to snip the new growth from the one you cut down but over time it dies as roots cant survive without leaves to generate food.

Been into home landscaping my whole life.
Its an evil necessity to keep things proper looking and nice. Actually above my post is a perfect saying "part of maintenance"
As far as near the house, agree with the others, they have to go for sure. Bushes and trees should never be in contact with the house and never be overpowering or shading it too much.

I was always careful to select the right stuff near the home but just in the last year started cutting and taking out some shrubs in the yard away from the house that have grown to much over the last 15 years some of which were Hollys which really look nice in the winter with the dark green and red berries but replanted with some young emerald green arborvitaes which always stay well behaved and as I get older, not sure if I will be able to do this cycle again ripping out old shrubs! *L* Its a lot of work.
I know some are concerned about roots and stumps but I am one who has never, ever worried about it regrowing. I cut the shrub or tree down to the dirt and leave it and many times plant the replacement right up against the trunk. Maybe for a while you need to snip the new growth from the one you cut down but over time it dies as roots cant survive without leaves to generate food.
Great post.
Yeah I can get the trunk below the surface but not really worried over that either.
I'm not happy with the place now so the junk has to go.

I'm nestled in the woods and it's a constant battle keeping trees trimmed so they don't encroach on my house or septic system. Nothing hanging over the roof, etc, but the problem now is, I've gotten most of the "low hanging fruit". Most everything else is larger than I want to handle myself, or grown too tall and precarious because of trying to compete with surrounding trees. Quite a few large POS cotton wood trees within a 100 or 2 feet from the house too. Hate those things. I own several chain saws, etc, but I'm a novice at best with them and far from my physical prime LOL.

I'm nestled in the woods and it's a constant battle keeping trees trimmed so they don't encroach on my house or septic system. Nothing hanging over the roof, etc, but the problem now is, I've gotten most of the "low hanging fruit". Most everything else is larger than I want to handle myself, or grown too tall and precarious because of trying to compete with surrounding trees. Quite a few large POS cotton wood trees within a 100 or 2 feet from the house too. Hate those things. I own several chain saws, etc, but I'm a novice at best with them and far from my physical prime LOL.
And they are super expensive to remove. Been there and done that.
I'm with you.

And they are super expensive to remove. Been there and done that.
I'm with you.
Oh it's insane right now! I believe I mentioned in another thread here or two about my recent experience with an ancient oak tree that came crashing down across my front lawn and driveway back in September. I new it was looking funky at the base, but this tree has looked like this for the 12yrs I've lived here. The trunk was ~36" in diameter for a good 50 feet of it. Too big, too much and too heavy for me to handle. After having cleaned it all up aside from what you see here, it took 4 different outfits. 2 came and never called back. One guy said it was too much for him, the 4th two fellas (insured and all) cut it up and hauled it away for $600 cash. It took the two of them 6hrs with a compact utility tractor, a couple big saws and a trailer to haul chunks away load by load.

XjWG7Zkl.jpg

dGIa8mBl.jpg

Oh it's insane right now! I believe I mentioned in another thread here or two about my recent experience with an ancient oak tree that came crashing down across my front lawn and driveway back in September. I new it was looking funky at the base, but this tree has looked like this for the 12yrs I've lived here. The trunk was ~36" in diameter for a good 50 feet of it. Too big, too much and too heavy for me to handle. After having cleaned it all up aside from what you see here, it took 4 different outfits. 2 came and never called back. One guy said it was too much for him, the 4th two fellas (insured and all) cut it up and hauled it away for $600 cash. It took the two of them 6hrs with a compact utility tractor, a couple big saws and a trailer to haul chunks away load by load.

XjWG7Zkl.jpg

dGIa8mBl.jpg
Nice place....
Yeah when they get that big....lol

Back