Cutting Trees

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
Must be my old age but I feel bad cutting out good trees.
I really don't like trees and bushes planted against a house.

Years ago I had to work around that daily. My dilemma...
I have three holly trees the original owner planted against the house.

I guess they are around 25 ft tall but healthy. I'd really like to cut them out and all the bushes and shrubs.

I have brown stone instead of mulch.
I might plant something miniature or nothing. Makes mowing and trimming easier. Plus trees against a house cause all kinds of issues.

Sort of feel bad about it but holly trees can be very dirty too along a front entrance and one is rubbing my master bedroom window and gutter.

Do you feel bad about cutting down healthy trees?

Not when they're rubbing against the house, possibly damaging your foundation, and not growing well (bc the house is in the way). I have a red pine myself that needs to go, it's 2 1/2 feet from the front corner & rubs in heavy winds, and a black walnut that's lifting a section of my driveway with its' roots. Both will need a professional...

Not when they're rubbing against the house, possibly damaging your foundation, and not growing well (bc the house is in the way). I have a red pine myself that needs to go, it's 2 1/2 feet from the front corner & rubs in heavy winds, and a black walnut that's lifting a section of my driveway with its' roots. Both will need a professional...
Thanks
I can do mine with a pole saw as they don't have big trunks. Sort of feel bad about it but they are too big to transplant and I really don't like them.
I guess when I get started it won't bother me. Good luck.

People typically think of landscaping as mostly permanent features, but in reality it has to be an evolving process adapting to changing needs, - sort of like motor oil specs(?) What worked well to give quick curb appeal initially can eventually be a very wrong plant in a very wrong place, actually detracting from aesthetics. The general rule in landscaping is that if something is wrong now, it is only going to be even wronger later. Break out the saw with a clear conscious.

People typically think of landscaping as mostly permanent features, but in reality it has to be an evolving process adapting to changing needs, - sort of like motor oil specs(?) What worked well to give quick curb appeal initially can eventually be a very wrong plant in a very wrong place, actually detracting from aesthetics. The general rule in landscaping is that if something is wrong now, it is only going to be even wronger later. Break out the saw with a clear conscious.
I can't agree more. Well said.
Miniature trees that grow full size and so on. Bushes that grow over your windows etc.
As you said instant curb appeal.
Twenty years later a fiasco.

People make bad decisions like planting trees too close to a building, that was good short term, but in long term you know it is something that needs to be done. If you like trees plant them further away.

People make bad decisions like planting trees too close to a building, that was good short term, but in long term you know it is something that needs to be done. If you like trees plant them further away.
Yeah I bought a house like that.
They actually planted everything right against the foundation. Seriously. I had to rip it all out.

Yeah I bought a house like that.
They actually planted everything right against the foundation. Seriously. I had to rip it all out.
Typical way to help sell the house, think of them as staging with roots. My plumbing job became $2000 more because of the tree on top of it.

There are many shrubs that can be kept to a a certain size. And many that cannot. And you cannot make a 10' high shrub that got out of control back into 3' tall in most cases.

One needs to make a plan for your plantings around the house, choosing the proper plants/shrubs/trees and know the characteristics of each plant and get it trimmed properly.

There are many shrubs that can be kept to a a certain size. And many that cannot. And you cannot make a 10' high shrub that got out of control back into 3' tall in most cases.

One needs to make a plan for your plantings around the house, choosing the proper plants/shrubs/trees and know the characteristics of each plant and get it trimmed properly.
Absolutely that 10' foot line is so true. I got some of them too. They just have to go.

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. Most Holly trees don't have deep roots, so a professional with the right equipment can move them for you.
Down here, 20 ft palm trees are nothing to move and transplant, it's done all the time.
I like Holly trees myself and would hate to see one destroyed. I also don't think they are a favorite food for deer if you have that issue.

I'm unlucky enough to live in a city they thinks they have the right to tell you exactly what you can do on your property. Cutting trees is one of those things. What they don't know won't hurt them!

Back