[Cut Open] PH7317 Virgin x3 (Orange/Blue/Black)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back and re-read entire thread saw no fire test done before my comment. Only saw Overkill comment saying, 'next up'. Nor did a read a fire test in initial ph7317 adbv thread.
From this post links below, he did the "flame test" to them and concluded the black ADBV was nitrile.

Last edited:
^^^^ As I was mainly following the OP there, obviously I missed that specific reply in the first thread.

As noted, I'm satisfied with the logical and most obvious conclusion here which I stated first reply in original ph7317 thread. Several including the OP here, went above and beyond to test it. Unfortunately, the adbv composition information provided to those who contacted Fram, yet another piece of unreliable information on the topic, now also proven inaccurate.

Last edited:
Fram has lost me as an oil filter customer at least with their standard offerings. Unless/until they start using a silicone ADBV in the orange can and Tough Guard, I'm not interested. I may pick up some wired backed Titanium filters or Force filters from AAP, aside from that I think that company is heading in the wrong direction. They better hope that the new Ultra media can prove to be durable or else their reputation will go right back to where it was when Honeywell owned the brand.

Fram has lost me as an oil filter customer at least with their standard offerings. Unless/until they start using a silicone ADBV in the orange can and Tough Guard, I'm not interested. I may pick up some wired backed Titanium filters or Force filters from AAP, aside from that I think that company is heading in the wrong direction. They better hope that the new Ultra media can prove to be durable or else their reputation will go right back to where it was when Honeywell owned the brand.
They are stupid and don't deserve our money. Create a great brand and destroy customer trust over pennies.. What's next...thinning the can?

They are stupid and don't deserve our money. Create a great brand and destroy customer trust over pennies.. What's next...thinning the can?
If I hit WM this weekend I will open a few orange boxes and do a ADBV material assessment.

I have a FORD 910S Fram equivalent (PH3614) on deck, and it has a orange ADBV. It appears well built.
I ALWAYS peep before I procure

Ignatius - all the TG I have run in the past have had silicone rubber adbv

I just took a dphoto of the PH3614:
FramPH3614_orangADBV_220204.jpg

Ignatius - all the TG I have run in the past have had silicone rubber adbv

Fram using a nitrile ADBV on the Tough Guard is a recent change that has been noted by several people on BITOG and I have seen it myself at multiple different retailers to include Walmart, Meijer, Mills Fleet Farm, etc. See posts in thread linked below 👇

Fram using a nitrile ADBV on the Tough Guard is a recent change that has been noted by several people on BITOG and I have seen it myself at multiple different retailers to include Walmart, Meijer, Mills Fleet Farm, etc. See posts in thread linked below 👇

The Ultra will be next ... :sneaky:

As i mentioned in the other thread, this appears to only be the 7317 and similar sizes, id actually have preferred to do 3600's or PH8 since I've got more 7317 application filters than I can use, but all the ones that would use a different ADBV seemed to be orange, i obviously did not open every size but i did 3600, and 8... and spot checked some other random ones.

That makes two controlled (orange vs black adbv) freezer tests by different members, both indicating black to be other than silicone adbv. Imo, more evidence nitrile used. I'd like to say I'm surprised, not so much. As they are very common now, supply chain issues are an acceptable explanation.

Thanks for freezer test.
In my local Walmart I can get an orange Fram PH6607 with either blue or orange ADBV but the TG6607 can only be found with a black ADBV. You would think that Fram would have at least used the silicone ADBV's in their higher offering filter.
I'll be avoiding any Fram with a black ADBV until it's proven that it's not nitrile.

Well that is interesting...

They will all three burn with a lighter.

The orange one will burn pretty easily but does not seem to have an odor.

The blue one will barely ignite and self extinguishes - also does not have an odor.

The black one lights right up and smells like burning tires...

In my local Walmart I can get an orange Fram PH6607 with either blue or orange ADBV but the TG6607 can only be found with a black ADBV. You would think that Fram would have at least used the silicone ADBV's in their higher offering filter.
I'll be avoiding any Fram with a black ADBV until it's proven that it's not nitrile.
I agree about the TG. Fram rep misinformation aside, seeing a black/nitrile adbv on an orange can, while not as advertised not as big a deal 'for me'. Otoh, seeing one a TG rated to 15k mi. and with the price premium over PH series, a bigger deal imo. If I was a regular TG buyer, I'd avoid purchase of those with black adbv.

That said, as mentioned by another member, average WM Fram buyer never know the difference.

The blue one will barely ignite and self extinguishes - also does not have an odor.

Sounds like orange and blue is silicone, and black is nitrile. Orange and blue might be a different grade of silicone.

1644178769461.png

Last edited:

So the black is clearly nitrile, I don't think we need any further proof of that.

I think that’s enough. several pointless, personal, bickering posts have been deleted. This thread is locked for now.

I’ll unlock it when folks have had a chance to calm down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back