Cut Open: Honda A01 12,822mi, 2 OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: David1
Looks like it did its Job.. I did a cut open on a A01 that had i think 4K miles or 5K i cant remember and when I cut it open it was like NEW... I posted pics.. I mean it was clean.

I have another A01 on right now and 2K miles more and its time for a oil change and Im thinkiing of leaving ther A01 on.. but oil filters are so cheap and it dont hurt to change them..... I end up always changing the filter ...especially when AAP has a free oil filter special and its a decent oil filter.

but I really like A01s or the HAMP Filters for HONDAS..

Sorta sucks they went the HONEYWELL / RANK / FRAM TG for the A02.. i dunno why they would do that when the A01 was doing such a great job...

The only thing I can think of is $$$$

The A02s probably cost less $ to have made so Honda saves $ and makes more $ when they sell them.

However IM NOT SAYING THE A02 is in no way a bad filter.

Wouldn't a filter doing its job be DIRTY inside, on the input side?

Originally Posted By: max88
Thanks for the post.

I have a 2009 Civic DX-G. Would love to see UOA, and wonder if Synthetic oil can live up to the hype and extend OCI to double.

Yep.

I run rebadged tough guards for 2 10000 mile intervals. When I dissect them I kick myself for not running the filter longer.
Filters get better as the media loads up and in real world environments will lower wear because the media traps smaller particulate vs a new filter that isn't as efficient yet.
I wouldn't extend a filter interval unless it is a known clean engine.
Efficiency increases as miles accumulate. Which translates to less harmful sized particulate circulating through the oil circuit.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Filters get better as the media loads up and in real world environments will lower wear because the media traps smaller particulate vs a new filter that isn't as efficient yet.
I wouldn't extend a filter interval unless it is a known clean engine.
Efficiency increases as miles accumulate. Which translates to less harmful sized particulate circulating through the oil circuit.

Not according to testing done by Purolator.

It's a Hockey Stick Curve [Link]

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Thanks for the pictures

Where did you find A01? Only A02 is available for the last few years.

I use S2000 oil filter, although it is slightly expensive than the others, it is made by Filtech and way better than A02.

I did a cut open on my A01 and I bought them on Amazon, just make sure if you buy on AMAZON you let the seller know you want the A01s b/c he will have both.. So you have to contact the sellar and let him know you want the A01s of nothing.

b/c some people got A02s were upset and left negative reviews on the guy....

He sells them for 7$

I really like the A01s or the HEMP Synergy

Originally Posted By: dgunay

If i can find any place that carries A01 in US next month, i will stock it up! It supposedly has the same quality and cheaper than S2K filter.

You can buy the A01 filter at College Hills Honda Parts's online store. Just type in the part # in the part # search box: 15400-PLM-A01. I've bought 5 or 6 A01 filters from them and they've all arrived brand-new in the shrink wrap. Several other Honda dealers with online parts departments also carry the A01 filter: HandA is one of them, but their prices tend to be a bit higher if I recall correctly.

College Hills has them for only $5.69, vs. $7-10 if you buy from Amazon.

Here are the 2 that I have left from my last order. As you can see, they are definitely genuine A01s made by Filtech Toyo Roki.

By the way, don't forget to buy crush washers while you're on the site!

NlFicJQ.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back