[Cut Open] Fram ultra XG8A 10,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tony10s
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Fram Tough Guard is very good too, not as good as Ultra on the par with Wix, NAPA Gold ...

I just bought a FRAM Tough Guard and plan to run it the next time I change my oil.

thumbsup2.gif

Fram Tough Guard is very good too, not as good as Ultra on the par with Wix, NAPA Gold ...[/quote]

Why do you think the TG is not as good as the Ultra? Filtering capacity, perhaps? I believe the 20-micron filtering efficiency is the same for the TG as the Ultra, at 99%. I believe the bypass opens at the same differential pressure?

Originally Posted By: 02vito
Originally Posted By: Tony10s
While I still am not a fan of the other FRAM oil filters, the FRAM Ultra is definitely one of my filters of choice now.

Fram Tough Guard is very good too, not as good as Ultra on the par with Wix, NAPA Gold ...
Why do you think the TG is not as good as the Ultra? Filtering capacity, perhaps? I believe the 20-micron filtering efficiency is the same for the TG as the Ultra, at 99%. I believe the bypass opens at the same differential pressure?

Capacity is better in Ultra. Filtering efficiency at 99%+ @ 20 microns is similar between ToughGuard and Ultra. HTSS_TR: Wix, NAPA Gold are more on a par with Fram ExtraGuard "CH" oil filters, all at 95% @ 20 microns using glass fibers at some reduced % level than ToughGuards.

Wow, Ultra can filter at 80% all the way down to 5 microns. That, and with good flow and great max capacity. (I think they do it with smaller synthetic fibers and depth filtration methods.)
Originally Posted By: Motorking
The FRAM Ultra is over 80% efficient@5 microns.

If someone thinks a filter is better than Ultra, or ToughGuard, please present actual performance data, instead of groundless "Its reel good" type stuff. Real facts please.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
not as good as Ultra on the par with Wix, NAPA Gold ...

LMAO
crackmeup2.gif

good one! do you also do stand up?

The TG has better filtering efficiency than Wix or NAPA Gold. It all depends on what criteria you are using to compare filters.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: jrustles
not as good as Ultra on the par with Wix, NAPA Gold ...

LMAO
crackmeup2.gif

good one! do you also do stand up?

The TG has better filtering efficiency than Wix or NAPA Gold. It all depends on what criteria you are using to compare filters.

build quality. if anything, the ultra is of equivalent build quality to a standard wix, only with more advanced media than a standard wix.

if fram wanted respect instead of profit margins, their cheapest offering would be built like a wix, not just their flagship filter. but these newer fram/purolator products speak for themselves.

The only thing people seem to dislike about the Fram TG is the non-metal end caps. IMO, if end caps are non-metal, they are fine if they don't distort and remain flat like a steel end cap over the use period.

It seems the end caps on the TG stay flatter than the end caps on the EG, maybe because the TG has a lot more pleats which helps make the whole assembly more ridged when all glued together. It wouldn't hurt to make the end caps a little thicker and stiffer on both the EG and TG filters just to ensure rigidity and flatness equal to metal end caps.

With the recent rebates on the Ultras I was able to upgrade to the Ultra for the price of the TG. What's not to love about that!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It takes me almost 3 years to put on 10,000 miles.
shocked2.gif

LOL Same here on the 96 Tbird
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back