[Cut Open] Denso 150-2002 - 7,750 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used them (Nippon-Denso and then Denso)since 1967, starting with 67 Toyota Corona with the 3RC four cylinder engine which started life as a tractor engine.

Originally Posted by RamFan

To update the board, I was incorrect about Korea. COO was China.

I wonder for how much longer.... if China keeps "claiming" Japanese islands
shocked2.gif

"My apologies for the late reply. The efficiency rating for your filter is 90%."

We'll see if they cough up the micron rating. Kudos for responding and providing some information though.

Does anyone know the difference between this and the 150-2004? I recently picked up a Skyactiv Mazda, and Denso specs this 150-2002 instead of the 2004. The 2004 however cross-references to the Fram 6607, which is also spec'd for Skyactiv engines
confused2.gif
Just wondering because I have a couple of unused 150-2004s on hand and would love to use them on the new car if possible.

Last edited:
...We'll see if they cough up the micron rating.....
Seeing as the email only gave a percent without the micron rating attached, 'for me' I'd be skeptical even if they sent one now. The proper answer would have been to send both percent and micron level along with the now industry standard ISO test protocol. But, at least if they had sent the first two pieces together, there may have been some level of credibility. What they sent basically means next to nothing.

That said, I realize for some maybe even many, efficiency information not a priority. I'm not judging. I'm strictly commenting the proper procedure for stating an authentic efficiency rating.

As a related aside, a couple c&p of the older blue can Denso FTF with silicone adbv posted recently. While the topic Denso looks ok, I'd prefer the older Denso FTF. My .02

Originally Posted by Sayjac

As a related aside, a couple c&p of the older blue can Denso FTF with silicone adbv posted recently. While the topic Denso looks ok, I'd prefer the older Denso FTF. My .02

Why do you prefer the older Denso? Aside from can color, they're built the same.

Not exactly same. Older Denso uses silicone adbv which is enough of a difference for me to prefer them. It was noted as an aside, I don't use them just noting a point of preference between the two.

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
I didn't know that the Denso's had metal end caps. I always thought they were made of fiber. You learn something every day!

Denso's filter uses end caps while the Denso units made for Toyota do not use caps. Both are very good oil filters.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Not exactly same. Older Denso uses silicone adbv which is enough of a difference for me to prefer them. It was noted as an aside, I don't use them just noting a point of preference between the two.

The current FTF filters also use silicone adbv.

Last edited:
I've never seen any "authoritative" information showing/stating a black adbv is made of anything other than nitrile/rubber. If you point to where it says the topic filter adbv is silicone, it will be the first. Should that be available and linked for topic filter, I'll stand corrected. Otoh, I have read hearsay alluding to something similar, but nothing proving it.

The topic filter adbv has been discussed before. I use member Hootbro comments (2017) linked* on the topic as my reference to the black can Denso, "...the wording on the box changed to describe the ADBV and dropped the silicone description...." Later "...website ad copy description is out of date in that regard".

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...enso-first-time-fit-150-2058#Post4424847

Also another point of difference, the previous blue can Denso used a flat (leaf) type compression spring as opposed to current coil type. For all practical purposes though, either one works fine imo and ime.

While a black adbv being made of silicone isn't common, it certainly isn't improbable.

Looking at the Denso site today shows a black FTF filter with the same silicone description. I don't think Hootbro's impression of an outdated site is accurate.

The linked Denso site dissection also shows a no endcap cartridge/spin on filter which the topic filter is not. As the topic filter shows, that is inaccurate. It also 'appears' to show (#2) an red/orange adbv (silicone), certainly not topic filter black. So, given the complete information including that which Hootbro provided noting the removal of the term silicone adbv from the box, until proven otherwise I agree with him. And having never seen a proven silicone black adbv, guess that means we'll have to agree to disagree on it's composition.

Good luck with your quest for an efficiency rating.

Yes, I agree the lack of end caps on the dissection isn't accurate. Unless some Denso filters still don't feature an end cap?

But where are you seeing what appears to be an orange adbv in the dissection? Are you're referring to the orange/red coloring? I think that's simply showing the dissected "edge" as it can be traced around the entirety of the filter's body.

As pliable as this adbv was, if it's in fact nitrile then I'm extra impressed. No exaggeration when I saw this was the most pliable adbv I've encountered across all my dissections; Purolator, Fram, EcoGard, etc.

Using the same logic as explanation for why inaccurate element type Denso site, perhaps silicone adbv not used on some or all spin on too? And observing the first inlet holes adjacent to the cut, as noted "appears" red-ish to my eye. Either way, given all evidence provided doesn't change my opinion of topic filter adbv composition. So, question answered to the aside of why I would prefer the older FTF. Main portion regarding efficiency rating not quoted was the main point of that post.

Originally Posted by RamFan
Yes, I agree the lack of end caps on the dissection isn't accurate. Unless some Denso filters still don't feature an end cap?

But where are you seeing what appears to be an orange adbv in the dissection? Are you're referring to the orange/red coloring? I think that's simply showing the dissected "edge" as it can be traced around the entirety of the filter's body.

Plenty of Denso filters, like the Toyota filters from dealerships, don't use end caps just like what's shown in that cutaway. And yes, the "red" in the cutaway is just to show the edge of the cut. It's hard to even see exactly what part of the cut edge is the ADBV. Obviously the cutaway filter shown on Denso's website isn't representative of all their models construction since yours had metal end caps.

http://densoautoparts.com/filters-oil-filters.aspx

The link specifically mentions silicone ADBV, but the Toyota Denso filters I've cut open had no end caps and an orange colored ADBV, so maybe not all Densos have a silicone ADBV.

The no endcaps type Toyota Denso filters sold by dealers are not labeled FTF on a box like topic filter and up till now have been Thai made as opposed to topic China coo. Thus they are two different filters. Both however use a black adbvs.

Though he doesn't post a dissection of the no endcap Toyota Thai Denso (many c&p easily found) DuckRyder's thread does a nice comparison of the two filters including FTF box. And the two inlet holes adjacent to the cut in linked thread also look red-ish to me there too. As noted correctly by Hootbro two years ago the black can FTF box has no mention of silicone adbv, just "reliable". I agree with Hootbro's comment at the end.

_Denso_150-2000__-_V]https://www.bo...s/4699947/[Cut_Open]_Denso_150-2000__-_V

92saturnl2 has a comparison of the older Denso FTF blue can filter to the newer black can. Note comment regarding the latter adbv.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4794299/1

Yep Sayjac ... looks like not all Densos are made in the same CoO and made in different configurations. The Toyota Densos are probably speced to Denso similar to how other OEMs are speced to Purolator, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back