Current Job Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of these part timers are not poor, they just have some time to kill to make a few bucks, so as soon as the pandemic started they have nothing to gain working in at risk jobs for same pay, or it is better for them to stay home watching kids or grandkids, or completely retire for good.

You can call them lazy, but then you will be calling almost all housewives and retiring grand parents lazy too.
We've also had 817k deaths, so less people available to work too.

As a percentage we didn't lose that many people (like 0.5%, mostly in the obese and older population). The problem however is really the "I'm sick and tired of being treated like a slave and I am going to find a better job and quit, or I'm going to retire, or I'm going to move somewhere else to work from home, or I'm going to watch my kids at home as full time mom"

1/2 of my team left, none of them died or caught covid (would have told us to test), the one who didn't retire all get at least 60-80% raise in their new jobs (60-100k more). Our management gave us 2.1%

$10.50 to work at Burger King? Pass. I don’t blame them for holding a sign on the street too. Far less work and far more money.

People are sick and tired of being treated like crap and being paid crap with crap benefits. I don’t blame people one bit for leaving.
You can make far more asking for money per hour then $10.50/hr. That is the problem , poor min wage. Locally it’s $15/hr market rate for Burger King.

My wife works in hospital setting and majority of nursing and nurse aids simply had enough of dealing with patients with Covid (majority lacking vaccine). They have had intense staffing issues. It’s difficult job and the short staffing does not help beyond the gear required and getting sick. It’s quite frustrating for her.

Not sure how health care and lacking help will solve itself.

As I mentioned in similar threads, it’s not just the low wage jobs that are not being filled. Good jobs paying very well are sitting empty right now. They are all over out there.

First, one has to want to work. That is a big issue for a lot of people these days. Everyone wants to make money but nobody wants to work. It’s time to grow up and be an adult. One can be a productive member of society or they can be a leech.

As I mentioned in similar threads, it’s not just the low wage jobs that are not being filled. Good jobs paying very well are sitting empty right now. They are all over out there.

First, one has to want to work. That is a big issue for a lot of people these days. Everyone wants to make money but nobody wants to work. It’s time to grow up and be an adult. One can be a productive member of society or they can be a leech.
You too have hit the nail on the head....Way to many just want to stay home and get free money from the Gov. and ***** about everything...

Maximum amount of reward for least amount of work appears to be the prevailing mindset.

You too have hit the nail on the head....Way to many just want to stay home and get free money from the Gov. and ***** about everything...

Interestingly enough, I talked to someone who works for a large city near me. Water, sewer, parks, you name it. All these departments are way short of workers. These are well paying jobs with excellent benefits. They cannot get people to come in.

Reactions: hrv
My wife works in hospital setting and majority of nursing and nurse aids simply had enough of dealing with patients with Covid (majority lacking vaccine). They have had intense staffing issues. It’s difficult job and the short staffing does not help beyond the gear required and getting sick. It’s quite frustrating for her.

Not sure how health care and lacking help will solve itself.

Some hospital clinicians have PTSD from the waves of Covid, short staffed and burnt out.

Healthcare field will definitely chew up clinicians in a very short time and new people will replace them.

Traveling nurses and respiratory therapists making over $160 an hour causes staffing issues at any hospital, it was so bad during last wave of Covid some employees were quitting mid shift and walking off the job to start new traveling job.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, I talked to someone who works for a large city near me. Water, sewer, parks, you name it. All these departments are way short of workers. These are well paying jobs with excellent benefits. They cannot get people to come in.
I could write my own paycheck with referrals. If I referred 100 people that work 6 months I would get $50,000 and no that is not a typo.

They will not come and if they did they would not make it to 6 months.

Maximum amount of reward for least amount of work appears to be the prevailing mindset.
It has been in the history of human civilization. Nothing new this time around.

The people who wants to work also are 1) facing inflation in food rent fuel education cost and merchandise price increase, and 2) they are filling in roles that pays more so the musical chairs go round and round till the bottom payers went out of business.

If they are way short of workers then they are either not paying enough for the work or they have some management issue that is not money-related (promotion? ridiculous requirement? scheduling? bad work environment from people around?). Market rate dictate what is "well paying jobs with excellent benefits".

I could write my own paycheck with referrals. If I referred 100 people that work 6 months I would get $50,000 and no that is not a typo.

That is not a good referral bonus to brag about. Typically I see $1k - 10k being the "nice" range and $500 is in the "whatever" range.

Your view is the problem with many employers. They feel providing a paycheck is enough

In my line of work a referral is worth $5000.
Some hospital clinicians have PTSD from the waves of Covid, short staffed and burnt out.

Healthcare field will definitely chew up clinicians in a very short time and new people will replace them.

Traveling nurses and respiratory therapists making over $160 an hour causes staffing issues at any hospital, it was so bad during last wave of Covid some employees were quitting mid shift and walking off the job to start new traveling job.
The staffing is worst now. The hospital my wife works at offers $1000 per extra shift worked for nursing however they have a hard time with that. It’s that bad.

YUP......................
Hold up.
So you're saying that workers should provide more productivity than a job requires? That is wasteful and inefficient unless that worker is being compensated for the additional productivity.

Isn't this exactly what we would expect people to do? This is all that a successful business does.

Maximize profits for a given input of raw materials and value add. Why would we expect workers to be any different?

Why should workers behave any differently than the businesses that employ them?

People don't want to work in garbage conditions. What's so hard to realize about that?

If you can't attract workers, maybe your business model is broken.
And people that worked two jobs may have had one job get "better" so they could trash the worse of the two.

Multiply that by a bunch of people and it turns out there are genres of employment that enough people hate, so the business has to close earlier or make other dramatic changes. Lots of customer facing, customer service jobs.

If they are way short of workers then they are either not paying enough for the work or they have some management issue that is not money-related (promotion? ridiculous requirement? scheduling? bad work environment from people around?). Market rate dictate what is "well paying jobs with excellent benefits".

I know someone who manages a company that pays six figures with benefits. Same story. He has openings but no takers. Some will try and leave in a short period.

People do not want to work.

...turns out there are genres of employment that enough people hate, so the business has to close earlier or make other dramatic changes. Lots of customer facing, customer service jobs.
OK, so what I hear you saying is that there are entire sectors of the economy in which the working conditions are so poor and the business owners are offering so little for pay that that the businesses can't keep their doors open due to lack of workers.

This sounds like capitalism working perfectly. The labor market has sent the message that these companies don't have a sustainable business model.

And yet somehow this is the workers fault?!?

Maybe the business owners should:
Improve working conditions.
Pay more.
Provide good health insurance.
Set dependable schedules.

It's like my first post all over again.

If you are coming from zero it is very nice to brag about sir.
It is all relative right? If nobody wants to go to a particular place to work, then something is wrong, either the pay, the career path, the boss (most likely when they are the only place that cannot hire enough people but competitors are doing ok), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back