Current Jiffy Lube Pricing

but you cannot beat the convenience and speed of Jiffy Lube.

You can if they don't tighten the oil filter, like they did my neighbor!
When they took it back they said "we'll buy you a new engine". Then they started it and said, "it sounds ok", no new engine for you!

I'm glad I'm still capable of doing my own. I can do all my vehicles for less than one at Jiffy Lube. Someday, soon, I'll be using one of these places unless I can convince my son or daughter to do it for me. Yes, she works on her own car.

Man, what's the cost for their oil whole sale? $100 for 5 quart change job, ~$20 oil, then a $10 filter, profit margins are pretty good. Especially if you opened your own franchise and only work it with 2-3 people in the family. But at that point, why not just open an independent shop?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BucDan
Man, what's the cost for their oil whole sale? $100 for 5 quart change job, ~$20 oil, then a $10 filter, profit margins are pretty good. Especially if you opened your own franchise and only work it with 2-3 people in the family. But at that point, why not just open an independent shop?

Wholesale pricing for major brand synthetic oil is not as great as you would expect. Pricing is about the same as Walmart, at best, if you buy in bulk tanks. Otherwise, you are in the $5-$7/qt range for the ecoboxes.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Wholesale pricing for major brand synthetic oil is not as great as you would expect. Pricing is about the same as Walmart, at best, if you buy in bulk tanks. Otherwise, you are in the $5-$7/qt range for the ecoboxes.

[censored], get on a sales line with Warren Dist. and buy their oil in barrels. That should probably be good. I mean, when Walmart was clearancing 0W-16 not too long ago for $7/5quarts, they had to have broke even or close to breaking even to move stock, right?

Originally Posted by The Critic

[censored], get on a sales line with Warren Dist. and buy their oil in barrels. That should probably be good. I mean, when Walmart was clearancing 0W-16 not too long ago for $7/5quarts, they had to have broke even or close to breaking even to move stock, right?

It all depends on the branding. If you are Jiffy Lube, you have to at least offer Pennzoil. If you are an independent quick lube then it is a different story. My cost on the generic brand synthetic oils (in ecoboxes) is between $2-$3/qt.

Don't forget that bulk tanks have a fixed cost and you can only store so many of them.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
The upward cost of going from conventional to synthetic or semi synthetic is what really looks like a rip-off to me. Perhaps $20 worth more of materials and the same amount of labor but they want $50 more.They play the same game around here.
I do not get a deal on Syn oil. I do not have time to run to WM to get it either. I have to get it delivered from one of the local auto parts stores. Usually $10-$11/qt my cost!

Both O'Reillys and the Zone have us at $9.49/qt for Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge. Usually it ends up being something we need immediately and can't wait for another vendor from LA to bring. And of course there is no WalMart here.

I wouldn't take a company car to Iffy Lube. I'd much rather go to a dealership, at least they have CSI to maintain...

Makes me feel better about getting the $49.99 Oil Change and Tire Rotation at Ford Quick Lane even if it was free.

$113 for 6 qt of Blend and Tire Rotation at Jiffy? Ouch!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
I wouldn't take a company car to Iffy Lube. I'd much rather go to a dealership, at least they have CSI to maintain...

I prefer a Lube Shop over the dealer, when needing the more simpler repairs / replacements that Lube Shops supply.
At least most Lube Shops offer the opportunity to watch the job being done. For that reason alone, I do not trust dealership service areas.

I haven't bought a new vehicle since 2004 - not until last year and again this year. In our age of high tech, why don;t these dealerships insist on providing camera-shots to vehicle owners, while the work is being completed.

We have a right to actually see the oil change being done. They could provide all the camera footage at their website, for our disposal. Need a new starter?..... or your intake cleaned thoroughly? ...... watch the video afterwards.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
$50 for a cabin air filter?!>????? I know some of them are hard to get to....but man.

Unless there's an asterisk next to that (I can't tell from the image), on some cars, that's a steal ! Includes the filter and the labor. Just one example is the current design Ford Fusion - it requires removing multiple dashboard trim pieces (with the risk of breaking them), and a dozen fasteners. Of course, there's folks out there that brag they can change this in 5 minutes but I wonder a) how many tabs or clips they have broken and b) how many fasteners they've lost. Compare this to changing the filter in a fairly modern Honda which truly is a 5-minute job tops. In fact, dealing with the crap in the glove box is probably the worst part.

Remember folks, not everyone has any interest in dealing with their own oil changes. Some people don't have a place to do, some people physically can't do it. Also, these prices aren't "too high". Customers pay these prices which means they're fair, i.e. market driven. There are cheaper options out there so if Jiffy Lube's were "too high", people would go to the other places and JL would go out of business.

Reactions: SR5
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I get a kick out of folks talking about the mark up on lube. Do they realize a Jiffy Lube franchise can cost $400,000 ?

Exactly right man. Your other post was very well stated has well. A whole, whole lot of cost and overhead involved with VIOC or JL....

Having said that... I'm glad to still be able to do my own for much cheaper.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Remember folks, not everyone has any interest in dealing with their own oil changes. Some people don't have a place to do, some people physically can't do it. Also, these prices aren't "too high". Customers pay these prices which means they're fair, i.e. market driven. There are cheaper options out there so if Jiffy Lube's were "too high", people would go to the other places and JL would go out of business.

Great post hallstevenson ^^^^^^^^^

sounds like I could go buy about 20 of those 12qt boxes of M1 for 27$ and ship them to someone and still make money (lol)

or you can get them for $40 now shipped to your door.

no room to stock a few.. to double your profit margin?

I get between 41 and 43 bucks for a 5 quart change in my shop for most vehicles. We use OE or OEM filters (like Mann, Mahle or Hengst for Euro stuff) and Mobil Super 5000 oil in quart bottles (yeah, I can prove to you its Mobil and not no-name oil). We do not use bulk. The closest that we get to bulk is 5 quart jugs for the synthetics and we have 0w20 in ecoboxes because we use a lot of it. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability or Liquimoly starts at 67.31 and goes up from there depending on filter. Again we use OE or OEM filters. We will not use oils that do not meet the OEM spec for the vehicle. For GM products requiring dexos oil we stock the AC Delco dexos oil. When dexos 1 first started in 2010 for 2011 model year, that was the easiest oil for us to get and we have stuck with it. For 5 quarts of dexos and a Delco filter for a GM product we are 51.68

Back