Current best oil?

My opinion is to bump up all 5W20's to xW30's especially in Ram and Sequoia.

I would personally focus more on that and then worry about the oil brand that meets the spec next.

Is there a thread here that further details this? I know the Hemis can be sensitive to the oil weight for the VVT in winter but I didn't consider changing it for the Toyota.

Thanks for that, and also for the poster suggesting to use diesel oil in the 4.0

To the poster who hit 140 in a golf, wow that must have been interesting in a short wheel base car like that.

I think it's funny guys on here getting all worked up about someone going 130 a few times in a trip.... Out in the middle of nowhere... And yes... There's plenty of roads out west where it is like that... I learned that when I was 5-6 years old learning all the roads across this country. Stretches of highway put west where one can go 100 miles and there be nothing or no one around. . Counties out west bigger than states here on the east coast... Yeah... Big big spaces out west. Thus why during WWII and the cold war many secret things game were done out there... it's that large and desolate out there.

When I got passed by 4 motorcycles going at least 160 mph on interstate 64 heading westbound just past exit 234 one night several years ago. . .

I was going 79 mph and they past me like I was sitting still. Or like a dog tired to a tree.

Anyways... Op... Make sure your tires are rated for that high of speed... And get real GG rated brake pads for the vehicle if driving that kind of fast. . Also think about a windshield upgrade... To Lexan... You hit a deer going super fast... I'd want bullet proof glass in front of me...Don't want or need something punching through a windshield going that fast... Also better try to sure up that front bumper a good bit and reinforce it...

I'd run Mobil 1 0w40 or even possibly Mobil 1 15w-50 if running like that... The 0w40 meets Porsche a40 testing which is way and I mean way tougher than basic API SP testing.

Last edited:
Is there a thread here that further details this? I know the Hemis can be sensitive to the oil weight for the VVT in winter but I didn't consider changing it for the Toyota.

Thanks for that, and also for the poster suggesting to use diesel oil in the 4.0

To the poster who hit 140 in a golf, wow that must have been interesting in a short wheel base car like that.

The HEMI's really aren't sensitive to viscosity, member Clevy ran 0w-40 in his 5.7L for ages and of course the 6.4L spec's 0w-40 with all the same VCT and MDS parts.

Sorry, I don't have a specific thread but even if I had one, I'm sure people would argue both sides and the thread would eventually be locked. I love thin vs. thick threads. lol

You mentioned that you redline and/or drive very fast (over 100mph) in your V8s and "stress" the engines .. and I suggested a thicker oil.

-1-
I have a 5.7L Tundra (same engine as yours) and the owner's manual says a higher viscosity oil (than 0W20) is recommended or more suitable when driving fast and/or under heavy load.

-2-
You are using xW30 practically in all your other cars except the civic ... might as well use it in your other V8s.

honestly, with that type of speed and rpm, xW40 may not even be a bad idea or at least a high hths xW30.

2017 Ram limited 5.7, 5w-20 M1EP
2012 Sequoia platinum 5.7, 5w-20 M1EP
2006 LS430, 5w-30 M1EP
2005 Civic LX 1.7, 5w-20 M1EP
2003 Ram, 410cid NOVI 2000, Zrod 10w-30
2002 LS430 (daily), 5w-30 Royal P
2000 WJ 4.0, 5w-30 M1EP
1999 RX 300, 0w-40 euro M1EP

... I do run the V8s to the tune of my daily doing 4 hours plus at 130 on trips at times. Redline is hit at least once per drive but usually 5-10 times as well, keep this stress level in mind please. ...

No best as mentioned. You could probably get away with a 5w30 for your fleet. I’d go with NAPA, super tech, or castrol synthetic just my choices

my son who is a wholesale dealer drove a bentley arnage from st louis to chicago in the middle of the night at about 120 not sure about oil type

my son who is a wholesale dealer drove a bentley arnage from st louis to chicago in the middle of the night at about 120 not sure about oil type

btw, that's why when I buy a new car, I want less than 10 miles on it. My truck had 6.

many years ago, the color I wanted was 150 miles away and the dealer said we can drive it here for you or you can wait a week or so and it gets shipped with bunch of other cars ... I said I'll wait. lol

Back