Current best oil?

My opinion is to bump up all 5W20's to xW30's especially in Ram and Sequoia.

I would personally focus more on that and then worry about the oil brand that meets the spec next.

Without mentioning brand names, I would be looking at euro-spec oils. Not because I'm in love with euro cars, but because I'd be looking for oils formulated with the Autobahn in mind... You seem to treat your commute that way, so may as well treat your engines the same ; )

As an aside, I've driven on the section of SH-130 near Austin with the 85 MPH limit. It was designed for high speeds and is perfectly capable of MUCH higher speeds depending on the car/tires and on the traffic at the time. When new it was probably the 'nicest' highway in North America. It is the only public roadway I've ever driven that I would be comfortable doing 100+ (in optimal conditions) for extended distances. But the speed limit is still 85.

To many unknowns in application and formulation and actual test results to pick a best.

If you had to start looking for the average modern passenger car engine you could likely do worse than something that carries the VW 504.00 / 507.00 Approval. Seems to be really rigorous.

I think there is in fact a "best oil" ... However, it's all dependent on the application, driver, climate, traffic, etc... and these are never the same. There's too many variables for there to be one specific best oil. You have to do some trial and error to find the best oil for your situation.

I think there is in fact a "best oil" ... However, it's all dependent on the application, driver, climate, traffic, etc... and these are never the same. There's too many variables for there to be one specific best oil. You have to do some trial and error to find the best oil for your situation.

True, but I always have trouble finding out if it will rain 14 weeks from Tuesday and that messes up my calculations.

That LS430 will do that speed (149 listed as top speed that I found, limited) and would have tires etc. all able to handle it with no drama - Tirerack shows the 17s (assumption) are H/V/W rated which would be 130+ and fine at that speed. Now whether you should or not from a risk perspective, who am I to say? I find it hard to believe that you could drive that fast sustained many places in the U.S. but that's not what he said - "4 hours plus at 130 on trips at times" - more likely meant "4 hour trips and I hit 130 once in a while" is how I read it.

That LS430 will do that speed (149 listed as top speed that I found, limited) and would have tires etc. all able to handle it with no drama - Tirerack shows the 17s (assumption) are H/V/W rated which would be 130+ and fine at that speed. Now whether you should or not from a risk perspective, who am I to say? I find it hard to believe that you could drive that fast sustained many places in the U.S. but that's not what he said - "4 hours plus at 130 on trips at times" - more likely meant "4 hour trips and I hit 130 once in a while" is how I read it.

Some people definitely do it. Just look how many new Cannonball records were set back when traffic was light a few weeks ago. Some big tank cars had averages over 130 mph in some states even without pilot cars.

Some people definitely do it. Just look how many new Cannonball records were set back when traffic was light a few weeks ago. Some big tank cars had averages over 130 mph in some states even without pilot cars.
I can tell you, when we were deep in the COVID quarantine here, the roads were absolutely empty...like apocalyptically empty. My car has been upgraded substantially for performance, handling, and braking. I was able to YOLO an all-time top speed on the highway one night on a nice long stretch...140mph. It was fun but not something I would do all the time. Loud and bouncy...needs to be lower and I need better dampers at that speed to slow the rebound down...they are on the list as the next upgrade. But still....I can say I went 140 for a few seconds in a Golf station wagon :p

Last edited:
Not sure where M1 EP would have ever been considered "the best oil" for your 4.0.... Many and myself included (and I'm sure the opposition to this will comment) would run from putting a M1 product in our 4.0 JEEP motors vs a HDEO. One concern for many was the trends of higher iron with M1 in that engine. The census has been and is, that these guys love a healthy HDEO (or even a PCMO 40wt). Will other oils work? Sure!! But I though the topic was "better". I have not done a UOA in several years on my JEEP motors, just because I see no real need to yet. I learned how well the HDEO's treated them and didn't mess with perfection. I usually run Rotella T6 5/40 but currently I have some type of DELO Full Syn 5/40 in them.

Other than that I am still partial to SOPUS products, Pennzoil in my other vehicles. I would also run a Valvoline product if I had to. However nobody can answer teh question of bets oil.. Its aboout the bets oil for YOUR application.

The best oil is the one that does the job at-hand.
1/4mi at 300+mph and the engine dies, still did the job at-hand.
vs
Car-B that goes 350kmi w/o issue using cheap walmart non-synth oil, still did the job just fine.

Is there a better oil to run that 1/4mi or go more than 350kmi? Maybe. If the better oil lets you finish the race 0.001sec faster, then that's the better oil. If the better oil lets Car-B go 352kmi, well, it's better but likely not better cost wise.

The only way to compare is to fix all of the other factors, then only change the oil, which is impossible to do across people on this forum. That's why you see all these lab testing videos of oil, only problem is, the lab tests are not your scenario, so it does not really apply.

Back