Current best oil?

It's been a while since I checked in if the major oil brands have altered their bases/add packs and if formerly good options have fallen out of favor. Can you guys recommend the current best oil for my cars? I have been using mobile 1 EP for all but two of them with 5000-7000 mile changes with the exception of one that gets 3000 but that one will not be changing what it uses and the newest member that has been using RP. My fleet is listed below with the oil they currently are using and other details, none use oil currently.

2017 Ram limited 5.7, 5w-20 M1EP
2012 Sequoia platinum 5.7, 5w-20 M1EP
2006 LS430, 5w-30 M1EP
2005 Civic LX 1.7, 5w-20 M1EP
2003 Ram, 410cid NOVI 2000, Zrod 10w-30
2002 LS430 (daily), 5w-30 Royal P
2000 WJ 4.0, 5w-30 M1EP
1999 RX 300, 0w-40 euro M1EP

All use boss filters. I am not interested in long OCIs but I do run the V8s to the tune of my daily doing 4 hours plus at 130 on trips at times. Redline is hit at least once per drive but usually 5-10 times as well, keep this stress level in mind please. I don't expect an oil to magic away all wear but I want to minimize it since an engine replacement takes a day or so and it's annoying.

The daily is running RP on 2k mile changes to clean it up since I bought it with a fairly varnished engine at 200k miles and didn't like what I saw when I had the engine partially apart resealing the covers, pan, upper pan, mains etc. I don't have it's 2nd engine ready yet so I decided to run the RP to clean it like some posters a few years back claimed it does. Did I waste 6 oil changes?

Thanks for the help and for reading

Last edited by a moderator:
You mention driving 130 for 4 hours on trips like you're cool...You're not, you're stupid.

Go drive out west. There are sections were there are no speed limits and I have a car designed for it. I also didn't ask what you thought about the use case

Go drive out west. There are sections were there are no speed limits and I have a car designed for it. I also didn't ask what you thought about the use case
In US the max speed limit is Texas at 85 mph so you are still going 45 mph over the speed limit and no your car is not designed for those sustained speeds. I don't know what tires you are running or brake system but at that speed it is dangerous.

He's right, where can you drive past 85mph? you are breaking the law, endangering others, beside yourself and your car.
Please show on google maps the location of these 130 sectors lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I've driven many places the western US and there is not one stretch of road that has no speed limit. It doesn't exist. There was at one time, but those days are long gone.

Current best oil? I have yet to see someone prove there is a best oil. Many people claim they're using "the best oil." There are however lots of opinions on "the best oil" imo Mobil 1 ESP is currently the best oil. Over the years my current best oil changed a few times.

I would go into detail about how Lucas, Purolator and K&N are perfect for your situation but i dont have time to type it all right now.

I am sure that others will agree with me. In a nutshell you need Lucas Oil, Lucas Fuel additve, a white purolator filter (forum favorite). and get rid of that paper air filter, let that engine breathe!! Get a K&N!! Also Lucas oil stabilizer!! Oil alone is not enough!! Good job with the 130mph and those V8s! Please post 140mph if you hit it with this combo of Lucas and K&N.... i think you will!

lucas10w30.jpg
lucas stabilizer.jpg

Kinda figured I would get useless replies but come on now......
If you want the best go get Amsoil signature series but your not extending the oil interval so its money down the tiolet. Your current M1EP does the job well enough without spending a lot. Now with your varnish in the engine that should slowly get cleaned over time just make sure you run it hard sometimes (130 is fine) :LOL:
Theres another thread here about a cleaning oil which was recently posted.

Kinda figured I would get useless replies but come on now......

Which car in your OP is designed for 130Mph+ sustained speeds? I don't see a single German car listed.

And no, Royal Purple isn't any better at cleaning than any other oil, if you want some cleaning, Valvoline Premium Blue Restore is specifically designed for that purpose.

Back