Cure My Car Biggotry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Ok, so the wife's Sienna has 140,000 miles on it and is 7 years old. I figure in about two or three years, I'll be in the market. Not too soon to start thinking, right?

Kids will be 16 and 18, I have an LX-450 (that I sure hope I will still have) so maybe the wife can go back to a sedan or mid-size wagon (maybe up the corporate average fuel economy in our house!).

Trouble is, when I start going down the list of cars, I can only get myself to consider Toyota and Honda products.

I have owned GM (2), VW (1), Dodge (sorta-company car), Volvo (3), Ford (1), Toyota (4), Honda (1), Fiat (2), Triumph (1). Most recent are the Toyotas/Lexus, VW and Dodge. Fiats and Triumph are from 25 - 30 years ago.

The Volvos were great, but they were 240s and we all know they don't make 'em like that anymore (some folks say that is a good thing!).

So, what am I missing? What Nissan or domestic or Subaru should I consider over a Toyota or Honda product?

Tim

Since you buy new and drive to around 200k miles you're actually a good candidate for a new Honda or Toyota. The potential idiocy of the former owner and insanely high used prices would keep me away from a used one. Plus of course you maintain your cars well and get your money's worth. The hybrid accord V6 will have been sorted out and gained a rep, good or bad, in a couple years.

She should get a midsize sedan or wagon; wagons are of course more scarse. Happily the midsize market is competitive and you'll get a lot for your money.

I'd watch the new Hyundai Sonata (made in the USA!) and see how it does by the time you're ready to buy.

The Buick fullsize, whatever they call it, might be worthwhile if you can get a $6000 rebate or whatever ridiculous gimmick is in place at the time.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
"Kids will be 16 and 18....."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Uh oh.

Hmmmmmmm....you know, I hadn't even thought about that!
pat.gif

Maybe I need to find a way to keep that Sienna another 5 or 6 years.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:

I'd watch the new Hyundai Sonata (made in the USA!) and see how it does by the time you're ready to buy.

Not too many years ago I would have choked on the Hyundai name. Not any more. Those folks have really done some serious work.

Tim

If you're looking for an American brand to consider, try Buick. My wife and I are very happy with our new Buick minivan and the Buick brand has been getting very high quality scores recently. If you're looking at a sedan, the Lacrosse is a very well-put-together car and quite attractive. From what I saw, they're also trying to aim them at younger people than before (my wife and I are in our early 30s).

Just FWIW...

I say Hyundai. We are on our third one. FIrst one sold due to mileage, second lost the front end due to a heavy right foot and slow brain. Third is about 4 months old, and going fine.

The subaru Legacy GT is very comfy, and fun to drive to boot (5spd MT, AWD & 2.5L Turbo)

for an american car, wait two years, and get a Saturn Sky (never buy first model years.
wink.gif
) 2 seat roadsters are perfect for people who are kid-free.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back