Inexpensive used car

I am looking for a first car for 16 year old that only needs to last 1-2 years. I can spend up to $4k and not adverse to buying a 200k+ vehicle nor European etc. I have access to a mechanic who charges $50/hr+cost of parts and knows Honda, Volvo, VW, Porsche (not consideration) really well.

Wow
I am looking for a first car for 16 year old that only needs to last 1-2 years. I can spend up to $4k and not adverse to buying a 200k+ vehicle nor European etc. I have access to a mechanic who charges $50/hr+cost of parts and knows Honda, Volvo, VW, Porsche (not consideration) really well.
An adult owned cosmetically bad, but maintained, high mileage honda or vw sedan, and take it to your mechanic for a look over before buying? Is your mechanic booked weeks out? Around here he would be.

Of your list - you won't find a Honda worth buying for $4K. Not here at least.

VW or volvo you might.

Your going to have to snoop around craigslist, facebook marketplace and other private party sales in that price range. There are probably deals to be had - if you value your time at zero.

Sounds like Honda is a good option for you but there are several bucket cars that could fit the bill w/less mileage than Honda. Try looking for 23 year old or newer Saturn or common cars like a Ford Focus, Chevrolet Cobolt, etc. These are easily maintained cars & any competent mechanic could service.

I went to AutoTrader in Concord New Hampshire I assume Cow Hampshire the same, and put in max price of $5,000 and had a lot of good vehicles with less than 200K popped up.

I'd suggest a Volvo with the inline 6 (the 5's are ok, but not quite as stout as the NA 6's).
These days, they can be purchased substantially cheaper than a Toyota/Honda/VW etc.

As long as it's been maintained, it'll last several years and offer near-luxury level of comfort (seats, suspension etc.).

The Volvo is built like a tank, just get a proper inspection before purchasing one. The 5 cylinder from93-98 are fine!

KISS keep it simple stupid!! no turbo, no DI + NO CVT with manual being best IMO, parts are $$$ sometimes so once you narrow it down check forums for your choice, good luck!!

I have never wrecked a car. I attribute it to pure BS luck in my youth, because lord knows it wasn't through safe driving.

The benefit as I get older - I know exactly what the idiots on the road are going to do next - because that is what I would have done. Anticipation is the key to avoidance.

2008-11 Focus. Standard side airbags. These can be had cheap without paying the Toyonda tax which is common here. Well within your budget and much fewer miles than 200k. They did decently in crash tests at the time. Maintenance is easy and parts are cheap. Just watch out for rocker panels rusting through.

2008-11 Focus. Standard side airbags. These can be had cheap without paying the Toyonda tax which is common here. Well within your budget and much fewer miles than 200k. They did decently in crash tests at the time. Maintenance is easy and parts are cheap. Just watch out for rocker panels rusting through.
but no newer, unless it's manual.... the troublesome Powershift DCT started MY 2012 (in the US anyway)

that being said... My Brother just got a 2020, 23k mi Chevy Bolt, with a New HV Battery, For around $3600. out of Pocket...
now... it was listed for ~$16k. - $4k federal instant rebate (instead of the old Tax credit) = ~$12k, - $10k trade in on his '17 Escape. = ~$2k + taxes/fees came to around $3600. new battery pack has about a thousand miles on it.

but that is in no way a deal that everyone can repeat....

Last edited:
Back