Opinions on various inexpensive cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd go with that 2003 Elantra - pretty reliable and uncomplicated cars.

They have an appointment to see it this weekend as the seller is unavaliable until then. I am crossing my fingers...

Change of focus again...

Today, they spotted a 2002 Corolla with 119K at a used car dealership. I told them that they should think twice about it if it is the base "CE" model as that has a three speed automatic. Apparently, the "LE" and "S" models got the 4 speed auto which is supposed to be good for about 6 MPG over the 3 speed on the highway. I hope it is the LE...

Originally Posted By: dnastrau
Change of focus again...

Today, they spotted a 2002 Corolla with 119K at a used car dealership. I told them that they should think twice about it if it is the base "CE" model as that has a three speed automatic. Apparently, the "LE" and "S" models got the 4 speed auto which is supposed to be good for about 6 MPG over the 3 speed on the highway. I hope it is the LE...

don't forget the 1998-2002 corolla oil burning on the 1.8L check under the rear bumper for black soot. mike

What about a 2000-01 Chevy Impala (that design goes through 2005, but newer than a 01 would be out of the price range probably)? You can get the LS with the 3.8 and leather for about $4k. I'd think you could get the base model with the 3.1 (yes, THAT 3.1 - but most used will probably have had that fixed) for $3k.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Change of focus again...

don't forget the 1998-2002 corolla oil burning on the 1.8L check under the rear bumper for black soot. mike

Thanks Mike - I will make sure they check that.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
What about a 2000-01 Chevy Impala (that design goes through 2005, but newer than a 01 would be out of the price range probably)? You can get the LS with the 3.8 and leather for about $4k. I'd think you could get the base model with the 3.1 (yes, THAT 3.1 - but most used will probably have had that fixed) for $3k.

Yes, an Impala would work as well if they find one. I think the small V6 was a 3.4 which is a larger version of the 3.1 (same manifold issues though.) I rented one on a business trip in 2005 and it had the 3800. I liked that car - it flew...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

Yes, an Impala would work as well if they find one. I think the small V6 was a 3.4 which is a larger version of the 3.1 (same manifold issues though.) I rented one on a business trip in 2005 and it had the 3800. I liked that car - it flew...
grin.gif

Yes, it is a 3.4. My mistake. But yes, same issue. We actually had one. We had the intake issue at about 50k, and the factory rotors are horrible. Otherwise it was a nice car.

Change of focus again...

Update...

The Corolla was good but my FIL and BIL checked it out and they declared that it is too small (particularly the back seat.)
mad.gif
So, back to the search again since that also knocks out the Elantra. Even though they have decided to go up to the $4500 range, I am not finding a lot out there in the mid-full size range in this price range that does not have high miles or need work. Thanks a lot C4C!

My MIL did see a Grand Marquis that I said she should check out. I found some nice looking Subaru Legacys but the late '90's in particular had head gasket issues and the newer ones seem to be out of their price range unless they have high miles. This is not easy. Ugh...

My MIL did see a Grand Marquis that I said she should check out.

That one should be checked out ASAP!....They are very low maintenance cars...Even if the car has 150K miles on it as long as it has been serviced every 5K miles [or 6 months] you should not have any issues with it...Of coarse I would have a independent check it out anyway.

If a Panther has less then 200K miles on it I consider it a low mileage car...That is providing the owner had the oil changed when it should have and all the other fluids have been changed in a timely matter.

Just IMHO.

Is there any option for them to go up on the price scale, maybe make payments on something?

Buying in this price range, for folks who mught not be 'car savvy', could invite trouble. I know you're helping out, but there might be lots of problems down the road.

Interest reates and payments on new cars are pretty low, and payments can be spread out out if they plan on driving the car for a while...maybe they should 'slurge' on a new vehicle?

By year 2000 ford knew the taurus trannies were junk... so they rigged the powertrain controls to cut engine power mid-shift. End result a quasi reliable car.

Look under the plastic rocker panel covers for rust on the metal rockers. This goes for panthers as well.

This could be a car that has so many examples, and so little demand, you could get a good one for $1k-1500.

Of course I had a 96 that was a rolling disaster, probably due to previously delayed/deferred maintenance and my desire for perfection, eg, radiators that don't leak etc.
15.gif

What's the emissions inspection where you live? The pre 96s might get a pass if it's OBD-II only, or an (evil) tailpipe sniffer only if that old.

I would still try to get a year 2000 example; a 90-ish accord may have been great in its day but brittle wiring connectors and hard rubber affects every car. That dealer that wouldn't fix the clunk or the bad belts sounds as shady as they come.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

My MIL did see a Grand Marquis that I said she should check out.

That one should be checked out ASAP!....They are very low maintenance cars...Even if the car has 150K miles on it as long as it has been serviced every 5K miles [or 6 months] you should not have any issues with it...Of coarse I would have a independent check it out anyway.

If a Panther has less then 200K miles on it I consider it a low mileage car...That is providing the owner had the oil changed when it should have and all the other fluids have been changed in a timely matter.

Just IMHO.

Well, it turns out that this car belongs to the wife of a body shop owner and they park it outside in such a way that it looks like it is for sale. Unfortunately it isn't for sale
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Is there any option for them to go up on the price scale, maybe make payments on something?

Buying in this price range, for folks who mught not be 'car savvy', could invite trouble. I know you're helping out, but there might be lots of problems down the road.

Interest reates and payments on new cars are pretty low, and payments can be spread out out if they plan on driving the car for a while...maybe they should 'slurge' on a new vehicle?

They are both semi-retired, but a small payment may be an option. We'll see as nothing great has turned up yet.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
By year 2000 ford knew the taurus trannies were junk... so they rigged the powertrain controls to cut engine power mid-shift. End result a quasi reliable car.

Look under the plastic rocker panel covers for rust on the metal rockers. This goes for panthers as well.

This could be a car that has so many examples, and so little demand, you could get a good one for $1k-1500.

Of course I had a 96 that was a rolling disaster, probably due to previously delayed/deferred maintenance and my desire for perfection, eg, radiators that don't leak etc.
15.gif

What's the emissions inspection where you live? The pre 96s might get a pass if it's OBD-II only, or an (evil) tailpipe sniffer only if that old.

I would still try to get a year 2000 example; a 90-ish accord may have been great in its day but brittle wiring connectors and hard rubber affects every car. That dealer that wouldn't fix the clunk or the bad belts sounds as shady as they come.

I do see quite a few nice Taurus/Sable examples, but they often have high miles which scares me with the transmissions. I have read about quite a few early failures for years after 2000 on the 'net. We will not rule out a clean, low mileage one if it comes up.

They live in the Hudson Valley region of NY state. I think their emissions check does not include a tailpipe probe, but a lit CEL will fail.

New update:

They just looked at a very clean 1997 Lincoln Continental with 104K miles - original owner for $3500. They like the car but this one is the 32 valve V8 front wheel drive model that is mechanically based on the Taurus - not the rear drive Town Car. This seems like it could be a very costly car to repair. It also requires high test gas. Am I making a mistake steering them away from it? So far, not much is turning up in their area, but this seems like it would be too much of a gamble for future repairs (air suspension, electrics, beefed Taurus tranny behind a 260HP V8, etc.)

I've got a '97 Continental with about 116K on it (I put about 40K of those miles on.)

Premium is recommended, but not required. Mine has maybe seen 4 tanks of super since I got it and has not complained a bit.

No transmission problems to speak of, but I can understand your concerns. With proper maintenance I am confident that these transmissions can last a long time, provided the car is not driven by a 17 year old.

The engine is a sweetheart and the car can move out nicely on the highway. It is really stuffed in there under the hood. Torque steer is very noticeable under certain conditions.

Great cars when they are taken care of, but if you get one that was neglected it will be a money pit.

Also, the price seems a bit high. I paid a little more than that for my '97 from the original owner with 80K on the clock and that was over 3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back