CRV's, are they that good?

Well, I have/had 3 CR-Vs, so here is my experience...

First of all, it seems the CR-V was designed, in my opinion, for older people (or people with back issues). Seriously...the driver seat just seems to be at the perfect height for people to 'slip' into...no climbing or falling in. Getting out is just as easy. Also, those of you have have or had CR-Vs...notice the back doors....opens almost to 90 degrees. Those with kids and child seats can appreciate that as well as older folks with walkers.

On a side note, a vehicle better suited for the older generation (especially those with walkers)...better than the CR-V that they don't make anymore...the Element, which was just a CR-V with a different body. My aunt has one and loves it.

So, had a 2nd Gen CR-V (04-06)...actually a 2.5 Gen (06) EX model with 'real time 4wd'. I had bought it used with about 89k. Had to get this one because it was blue which was hard to find at the time (for wife). I had it until about 212k miles. In the 100k+ miles I had it, I had to replace the A/C compressor clutch, a rear wheel bearing and both front compliance bushings...and of course, wear items like tires, brakes, oil, etc (and the rear diff). We used the hell out of that vehicle...used it like a truck. We made many, many trips to Atlanta...hauling back trunk load of food and stuff. Traded it in at around 212k miles because the check engine light came and stayed on...which ended up being the timing. Again, don't know the history of this CR-V since it was bought used, but when I had it, the oil was changed every 6k miles. But the timing still went out on the thing...you could still drive it, but had no power as the VVT was disabled. I'm suspecting that the original owner when too long on his/her oil changes.

Second CR-V was a 3rd Gen (07-11)...an 08 EX-L again bought used. I have to say, this gen of the CR-V 'felt' the best. I mean it felt SOLID and was so smooth. Going over bumps and rough roads...it felt bigger than it was. We bought this when it had about 60k miles on it and traded it in when it had about 120k miles on it for a truck based SUV (which I needed for work). BUT, I wish I had this CR-V back. Everything about it just felt like 'solid quality'. In the time we had it, only had to replace the tires.

Now we have (wife's car) a 2016 CR-V Touring (4th Gen) that was bought brand new. To me it feels like Honda took a step backwards. Don't get me wrong, the car is nice with all the bells and whistles (except no 4wd) and seems to be put together well, but it seems to have lost something compared to the last generations. For instance, the quality and feel of the interior materials doesn't seem as solid as the '08 we had nor does it feel as rugged as the '06. It feels delicate. The whole car doesn't feel as solid as the '08...it seems louder on the highway, plus when you close the door, you getting a 'tinny' sound instead of a solid 'thump' in the '08. But, so far, nothing has been done except oil and filter/fluid changes. AND I don't care what Honda says...the 2.4L Earth Dreams (with direct injection, non turbo) appears to have some fuel dilution issues. Every time I check the oil it smells like gasoline. So, it gets its oil changed every 5k miles, regardless.

Overall, I think a CR-V would be a good choice. My recommendation would be the 3rd Gen if you can find one or a 4th gen with the normal 2.4L, not the directed injection one...if buying used. Also, if you don't need it, I would stay away from the 'real time 4wd' systems on these vehicles....they require regular maintenance and use a Honda specific fluid.
This has been the most helpful, I knew there was gen. where they peaked but I don't keep up on Honda's in general so I never quite knew which one it was. I was aiming for early 2010's anyway and you might have cemented that case. The oil dilution issues aside which isn't a surprise considering every manufacturer seems to skirt around that. Changing the oil every 5k isn't a deal breaker.

I say this because if I decide to help my father purchase a vehicle I don't want to really work on it anymore. I know from personal anecdotes and experience that CRV's tend to just not have issues. This would be ideal IMO because he is closing on 67 and me 40 so wrenching is becoming a thing of the pass.
Mine is an '08. 270,500 miles and going strong. I maintain it with 5000 mile oil changes. Keep the air and cabin filters up to date. Change tranny fluid and other fluids once in a while when I'm feeling limber. Had to replace some lock actuators and window switches but really nothing else. I like the car. Feels kinda sporty but still good for hauling bicycles, 2x4s and washers and dryers, etc.

Reactions: hrv
Why not a new Rav4 with the proven same as Camry 2.5L and 8 speed automatic?
This is the answer I give to the mechanically retarded & reticent & those who DO NOT WANT TO POP THE HOOD.
It's amazing, they seem truly immune to wise council. They go their own way. Then, come the issues, the very issues Toyota took the
pains to spare their customer base from. It's so frustrating. I guess they do not care for Toyotas appliance like styling cues of the Rav4
or Highlander or whatever is what they SHOULD buy. Buy and drive happy. But they tend to fight it. ???? RRRRRrrrrrrrrEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

2015/2016. Useful upgrades from earlier G4 models in terms of fuel economy and refinement. CRVs of this Gen have extraordinary interior space, good fuel economy, nice steering and brake feel and acceptable quietness. Reattle-free, too. Some here don’t like CTVs, but I think this one is perfectly suited to the car. Ours has 70k and I’ll be truly sorry when trade-in time comes.

2017 and later has the 1.5T that does have fuel dilution issues, if UOAs and owner reports here are any guide. Maybe it doesn’t matter, but…

Seems like thinking you're not going to be working on any 12 year old car going forward is pretty optimistic. Know reliable models less so, maybe.
Well I like to dream, brakes aren't a worrisome thing but major headaches like suspension I don't want to do. Fluid changes aren't a big deal either but like I said the less the better.

2015/2016. Useful upgrades from earlier G4 models in terms of fuel economy and refinement. CRVs of this Gen have extraordinary interior space, good fuel economy, nice steering and brake feel and acceptable quietness. Reattle-free, too. Some here don’t like CTVs, but I think this one is perfectly suited to the car. Ours has 70k and I’ll be truly sorry when trade-in time comes.

2017 and later has the 1.5T that does have fuel dilution issues, if UOAs and owner reports here are any guide. Maybe it doesn’t matter, but…

I have a 2015 EX and I agree with most of your observations on this generation of CRV. The amount of interior space and fuel mileage is remarkably good and although I was very sceptical about the CVT, it has performed really well. The only two things I don’t really like about it are the fairly stiff ride and extremely minimal noise insulation. This is one of the loudest vehicles I’ve ever driven in terms of road noise no matter which tires I put on it. But then again, I suppose I am very spoiled with my other vehicle being a 23 year old LeSabre. I find it remarkable that it still has no rattles or squeaks at this age. In fact, it is so vault-like quiet, you have to pinch yourself to see if you’re still alive. I swear, when this vehicle one day is at the end of its useful life, I could probably use this as a makeshift isolation tank. Now I know why they call it Buick ”Quiet Engineering” 🎧🙉🤣

I bought a 2016 EX in Feb of 2020 with 19,877 miles on it and a good clean carfax including regular oil and filter changes.

Mine is AWD so the Honda dealer I bought it put new brake pads on all 4, flushed brake fluid, changed rear end fluid, and put 4 new tpmsf tires on it, and new engine and cabin air filters, new wiper blades, oil and filter change, so it met Honda Certified speck.

I have a bad back and am 67 yo now, and I boughg it because of my back.

I personally drained and filled the CVT using Honda fluid 3 times about 1,000 miles between each to mix new with what stays in.

Driving the hills around Pittsburgh I get about 20 to 21 mpg, but that is good for the roads and traffic I have to drive.

Dang reliable vehicle. CVT in general have a much higher probability of a long life if you change the fluid using manufacturers fluid often.

The 2015 had a vibration problem.

There is a fix that requires installing radiator mounts, but it is not covered by Honda as they never issued a recall. Just a TSB and you have to buy the mounts.

My aunt bought hers new in 2009. It needed a new AC compressor at about the 10 year mark. That's been the only repair needed the entire time she has had the car. Other than that just brakes, tires, and oil changes once a year when the reminder on the dash tells her to. I've never really liked them all that much but they seem to be solid reliable cars.

I'd rather drive a 1.5T over the 2.4. The 1.5T's are not as terrible as people claim.
My past ex. is the 2.4 is a great engine. Had a couple of them in the past and they were outstanding with the last in a Accord with 386000 on it when I traded it in....I wish my 2021 HRV had the 2.4 in it...The 1.8 is OK but lack power...

hahahhahaha............................

Our 2017 CRV Touring has had more issues than any new car we have ever purchased. And I'm old.

Funny thing though. The engine and drivetrain are just fine. 1.5L T and CVT, seem pretty bullet proof.

LIKES: MPG for the provided power to the ground + ability to carry a good amount of stuff. Really really easy to get over 30MPG. For a fully loaded car, my perception, this is great

DISLIKES: The wiring is sheet. Paint thin. Sensors debatable. Brakes are OK once you get some non OEM parts in. Door lock actuators fail. Then random stuff comes and goes. Dealer support is laughable. You want a software upgrade? You pay. 2 weeks out of warranty? Up yers. We are waiting now for a full left lock and other wire harness, on back order, our nickle, no delivery time known yet.

Last Honda and no thanks for the fish.
On my Japan- built Honda Fit sport, the molded door card, at the armrest, was molded improperly and it fell apart internally under the fabric skin. This is under warranty second year. They said they wouldn't cover that - owner "abuse".
I wasn't in the mood for a fight over this insolent posturing, as I was dealing with serious family health issues and had to put this on ignore. But, today I would walk into the service managers office and get satisfaction.
One way or the other.

I own 2 of them both bought new. My 2013 has 118,700 miles and has been completely trouble free. Replaced rotors and pads, rear struts, other than that just normal maintenance. My wife’s 2022 only has 6,700 miles but I really like it. I love the drivetrain, it’s smooth and quick. I’d recommend the CRV to anyone.

Back