CRV's, are they that good?

I say this because if I decide to help my father purchase a vehicle I don't want to really work on it anymore. I know from personal anecdotes and experience that CRV's tend to just not have issues. This would be ideal IMO because he is closing on 67 and me 40 so wrenching is becoming a thing of the pass.

I don't think anything in that range is "that good" but meh may be better than "that BAAD!"

My BIL likes his CRV and supposedly he has one of the nasty tiny turbo diluters grenades.. But it never experiences COLD cold starts in Arizona. That may be saving it, IDK.

I find all these cars a big yawn. I recommended a 2002 Lexus ES 300 to my Father two decades ago for reliability.
He hated it and the car had drive-ability and rear suspension problems regardless. He should have gotten a BMW roadster with a stick shift for his retirement car and had some fun.

I am your father's age - Ii's not OLD old. I still restore classic cars, yank and rebuild engines, rear axles, etc.
The brain and body exercise is a good thing.
Plus you ain't gonna be "wrenching" on a modern car, other than brakes and oil changes.

Probably an OK choice. Look at a Chevy Equinox too.

Probably as good as it gets, in that class. Definitely versatile.
Just do 5K OCIs. I use a MityVac and swap the filter every other service on my friend Mani's 2019 EX-L.
She loves it.

I don't think anything in that range is "that good" but meh may be better than "that BAAD!"

My BIL likes his CRV and supposedly he has one of the nasty tiny turbo diluters grenades.. But it never experiences COLD cold starts in Arizona. That may be saving it, IDK.

I find all these cars a big yawn. I recommended a 2002 Lexus ES 300 to my Father two decades ago for reliability.
He hated it and the car had drive-ability and rear suspension problems regardless. He should have gotten a BMW roadster with a stick shift for his retirement car and had some fun.

I am your father's age - Ii's not OLD old. I still restore classic cars, yank and rebuild engines, rear axles, etc.
The brain and body exercise is a good thing.
Plus you ain't gonna be "wrenching" on a modern car, other than brakes and oil changes.

Probably an OK choice. Look at a Chevy Equinox too.
He's technically already retired and the man has no sense on how to manage his finances which is why he got talked into owning a heavily used CX-7 which has a 3 cylinder engine right now. Still runs mind you but poorly. Still works at Amazon because of this and his other pitfalls in life.

His knees aren't great either so it has to be a small SUV to make ingress & egress easier. I never liked the rental Equinox I had but he would probably be ok with it. He is the perfect person to need an "appliance" car.

The Rav4 is also a good choice.
2009 plus perhaps, but before that you had the problematic 2.4L or the timing belt 2.0.

CRV, at least ours has weak a/c and I believe is from the era of failure prone a/c. Oil filter in a weird spot, transmission dipstick is located under the tiny battery, and other bits that... I just ignore, since it's old and all.

Very good, as far as I'm concerned. We have an old 2008 in the family with the 2.4L which has been excellent. I also maintain a 2014, 2020 and 2021 with no concerns at the moment. Actually, the 2020 has had connectivity issues with Apple Car Play but that's about all the dealer's had to look at under warranty.

I had a 2004 CR-V with a stick shift and 2008 CR-V. Both were very reliable. Some of the 2002-2006 A/C compressors were known to self-destruct, mine never gave me any trouble. My 2004 had the oil filter on the back of the engine where it made plenty of spillage; the 2008 the engine was redesigned so the filter was moved behind the oil pan.

I say this because if I decide to help my father purchase a vehicle I don't want to really work on it anymore.

Sorry, definitely used. It seems the early 2010 era 10-15 just don't die.
Seems like thinking you're not going to be working on any 12 year old car going forward is pretty optimistic. Know reliable models less so, maybe.

Well, I have/had 3 CR-Vs, so here is my experience...

First of all, it seems the CR-V was designed, in my opinion, for older people (or people with back issues). Seriously...the driver seat just seems to be at the perfect height for people to 'slip' into...no climbing or falling in. Getting out is just as easy. Also, those of you have have or had CR-Vs...notice the back doors....opens almost to 90 degrees. Those with kids and child seats can appreciate that as well as older folks with walkers.

On a side note, a vehicle better suited for the older generation (especially those with walkers)...better than the CR-V that they don't make anymore...the Element, which was just a CR-V with a different body. My aunt has one and loves it.

So, had a 2nd Gen CR-V (04-06)...actually a 2.5 Gen (06) EX model with 'real time 4wd'. I had bought it used with about 89k. Had to get this one because it was blue which was hard to find at the time (for wife). I had it until about 212k miles. In the 100k+ miles I had it, I had to replace the A/C compressor clutch, a rear wheel bearing and both front compliance bushings...and of course, wear items like tires, brakes, oil, etc (and the rear diff). We used the hell out of that vehicle...used it like a truck. We made many, many trips to Atlanta...hauling back trunk load of food and stuff. Traded it in at around 212k miles because the check engine light came and stayed on...which ended up being the timing. Again, don't know the history of this CR-V since it was bought used, but when I had it, the oil was changed every 6k miles. But the timing still went out on the thing...you could still drive it, but had no power as the VVT was disabled. I'm suspecting that the original owner when too long on his/her oil changes.

Second CR-V was a 3rd Gen (07-11)...an 08 EX-L again bought used. I have to say, this gen of the CR-V 'felt' the best. I mean it felt SOLID and was so smooth. Going over bumps and rough roads...it felt bigger than it was. We bought this when it had about 60k miles on it and traded it in when it had about 120k miles on it for a truck based SUV (which I needed for work). BUT, I wish I had this CR-V back. Everything about it just felt like 'solid quality'. In the time we had it, only had to replace the tires.

Now we have (wife's car) a 2016 CR-V Touring (4th Gen) that was bought brand new. To me it feels like Honda took a step backwards. Don't get me wrong, the car is nice with all the bells and whistles (except no 4wd) and seems to be put together well, but it seems to have lost something compared to the last generations. For instance, the quality and feel of the interior materials doesn't seem as solid as the '08 we had nor does it feel as rugged as the '06. It feels delicate. The whole car doesn't feel as solid as the '08...it seems louder on the highway, plus when you close the door, you getting a 'tinny' sound instead of a solid 'thump' in the '08. But, so far, nothing has been done except oil and filter/fluid changes. AND I don't care what Honda says...the 2.4L Earth Dreams (with direct injection, non turbo) appears to have some fuel dilution issues. Every time I check the oil it smells like gasoline. So, it gets its oil changed every 5k miles, regardless.

Overall, I think a CR-V would be a good choice. My recommendation would be the 3rd Gen if you can find one or a 4th gen with the normal 2.4L, not the directed injection one...if buying used. Also, if you don't need it, I would stay away from the 'real time 4wd' systems on these vehicles....they require regular maintenance and use a Honda specific fluid.

I hadn't noticed on the CRV the doors opening wide... will look. I've never liked getting into ours, I find it more work, but the wife says it's because I limited flexibility--I don't like picking my leg up so high. Never had an issue in my truck (but with running boards it was stupid easy getting in).

My son definitely likes the CRV over sedan, but he's disabled, so him getting in & out is much like an older person with limited mobility. Six of one, half dozen of another. I will say you are right, the seat is around that height, and he gets in & out much easier than with our sedans.

I say this because if I decide to help my father purchase a vehicle I don't want to really work on it anymore. I know from personal anecdotes and experience that CRV's tend to just not have issues. This would be ideal IMO because he is closing on 67 and me 40 so wrenching is becoming a thing of the pass.
hahahhahaha............................

Our 2017 CRV Touring has had more issues than any new car we have ever purchased. And I'm old.

Funny thing though. The engine and drivetrain are just fine. 1.5L T and CVT, seem pretty bullet proof.

LIKES: MPG for the provided power to the ground + ability to carry a good amount of stuff. Really really easy to get over 30MPG. For a fully loaded car, my perception, this is great

DISLIKES: The wiring is sheet. Paint thin. Sensors debatable. Brakes are OK once you get some non OEM parts in. Door lock actuators fail. Then random stuff comes and goes. Dealer support is laughable. You want a software upgrade? You pay. 2 weeks out of warranty? Up yers. We are waiting now for a full left lock and other wire harness, on back order, our nickle, no delivery time known yet.

Last Honda and no thanks for the fish.

Last edited:
hahahhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhhahahahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahh
hahahhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaahahhahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhhahahahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahh

What?

Our CRV has had more issues than any new car we have ever purchased. And I'm old.

Funny thing though. The engine and drivetrain are just fine. 1.5L T and CVT, seem pretty bullet proof.

The wiring is sheet. Paint thin. Sensors debatable. Brakes are OK once you get some non OEM parts in. Door lock actuators fail. Then random stuff comes and goes. Dealer support is laughable. You want a software upgrade? You pay. 2 weeks out of warranty? Up yers.

Last Honda and no thanks for the fish.
tbf, you did get a '17. xD

Back