Crushed gaskets.

I'm in the camp of changing it, if it leaks I don't wanna remove plastic again to get to it, plus you might not see it because of those plastic covers. These Hyundai/Kia plugs you really have to deform the gasket for it to seal, I had 2 very small leaks that wasn't noticable on the dip stick, just a drop on the bolt. Both times torqued to spec.

Do you know the ID on the Nissan seal ?
Looking for something better than the nylon seal on the B&M plug (ATF pan) …
Think I warped it slightly drilling hole
"
  • Oil Drain Plug Gasket
  • Copper Crushable
  • I.D.: 12mm
  • O.D.: 17.7mm
  • Thickness: 3mm
  • Used with M12-1.75 Oil Drain Plugs
  • Replaces Ford: F4XY-6734-A Mercury Villager and Nissan: 11026-01M02 350Z & Sentra 2009 - 2000
  • 10 Per Package"

Back around 2004 I got copper crush washers from the Honda dealer in Spokane for our Odyssey. They look like a copper O ring. That was what they recommended instead of the aluminum ones Honda said to use. I have been using them on every car they fit ever since. I could probably use them twice, but once is safer. Last time I bought 100 and had them mail them to me.

"
  • Oil Drain Plug Gasket
  • Copper Crushable
  • Replaces Ford: F4XY-6734-A Mercury Villager and Nissan: 11026-01M02 350Z & Sentra 2009 - 2000
  • 10 Per Package"
Thanks … might be tight but worth a try for the price 😷

"
  • Oil Drain Plug Gasket
  • Copper Crushable
  • 10 Per Package"
Got 30 for $10 on eBay … Thanks again …

Any reason not to use them on Toyotas? The drain plugs in all 3 of mine take a 12mm.

"
  • Oil Drain Plug Gasket
  • Copper Crushable
  • 10 Per Package"

Similar to a spark plug gasket

Nah. Nissan's OEM copper gasket is unlike anything else. Once it's compressed it's three layers of thin copper, but there's that really weird notch on the inside where the corners are flared - one in and one out. I don't know exactly what it achieves since it will just be flattened anyways.

OEM_Oil_Drain_Plug_Washer-4979.JPG

The OEM Subaru drain plug gasket is similar to a spark plug gasket.

81bIPmHj4GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I personally don't use either any more. I help my parents with their Nissan and got some standard copper M12 gaskets from Grainger. I also got the M20 gaskets for my Subaru. These were normal slightly beveled annealed copper - marked as made in Germany. There's nothing all that unique about them but they work. I don't reuse them, but I also don't overthink it either. I don't really care what I use whether it's fiber, copper, or aluminum. I do remember some applications where there's an integrated rubber gasket on the drain plug (like some GM cars), but those hardened over time and had to be replaced.

Any reason not to use them on Toyotas? The drain plugs in all 3 of mine take a 12mm.
Not really. I have used the Nissan ones in place of Toyota gaskets when we were out.

But the Toyota drain plug gasket will cover the entire flange of a Toyota drain plug while the Nissan one will not.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:
That's interesting. I'm trying to visualize what you are saying here. Which part of the drain plug area isn't covered by the Nissan gasket--the interior (which would bother me) adjacent to the opening, or the exterior (which probably doesn't bother me)? If its m12 its m12, so its probably the exterior part that you are talking about, but I'm just trying to clarify this.

Not really. I have used the Nissan ones in place of Toyota gaskets when we were out.

But the Toyota ones will fit the entire head of the bolt where the Nissan one will not.

That's interesting. I'm trying to visualize what you are saying here. Which part of the drain plug area isn't covered by the Nissan gasket--the interior (which would bother me) adjacent to the opening, or the exterior (which probably doesn't bother me)? If its m12 its m12, so its probably the exterior part that you are talking about, but I'm just trying to clarify this.
I do not have any extra Toyota drain plugs right now, so I used a spare M12x1.25 bolt for this example. The flange of this bolt is a bit larger than a Toyota drain plug, but should be fairly close.

Nissan washer:
17B095CA-E61E-4039-A6E9-3EFB35A22C33.jpeg

Toyota washer:
84ABFFFB-D813-4E05-8EA9-D046108677EA.jpeg

Thanks, that was very thorough. OK that doesn't bother me.

I've just had an issue with the second fiber gasket in a year or two. Right now I have a bag of Mahle plastic/"composite" gaskets. If these end up sticking to the drain pan, I'll give Nissan a try.

I do not have any extra Toyota drain plugs right now, so I used a spare M12x1.25 bolt for this example. The flange of this bolt is a bit larger than a Toyota drain plug, but should be fairly close.

Nissan washer:

Toyota washer:

I like the GM plugs, they have a plastic washer or whatever built into the plug. Takes no torque to tighten and seals great. One less thing to think about.

Toyota washer's are nice I have used them on Nissan's years ago, personally if it was my car, that's probably what I would put on there.. but this is not my car, and this vehicle is still under warranty..

Back