Crushed gaskets.

I have to change oil on a friend's car, over the weekend, 2018 Nissan Rogue and I know the drain plug has a crushed gasket, you guys usually just go ahead and put a new crushed gasket on, or replace it with a 12mm of a different type? Years ago I use to use metal/rubber or aluminum with the fiber coating around it. Basically Toyota ones.. What is your opinion? I will probably be doing it from here on out.

If you are asking about reusing a drain plug gasket, well, this has been done hundreds of millions of times on pretty much all kinds of cars.
Unless it is in bad shape, it will likely be fine.
A new crush warsher will be fine too. And no gorillas need apply.

Personally, I buy Honda, Toyota and Nissan warshers in bulk. And a few assorted other sizes.
I probably save 25 cents or so every time I reuse a gasket. And now with the MityVac I retired early!
All good. Have fun with the oil change service.

I always do, figure it’s not worth risking $23-27 worth of oil for an $0.88 washer. Part of it is also convenience.

I have two Nissans and three drain plugs. During the change I just let the drain plug fall into the pan and then put on my “spare”. After I’m all done when I’m cleaning up I clean the plug, remove the crush washer, put a new crush washer on and throw that plug in the box with all the crush washers for swap in on the next change. Saves a tedious step when my hands are covered in oil and it’s always good to have a spare plug.

I always reuse them until they show signs of seepage. I have never had a major leak from a properly tightened drain plug, even one I used a filter box to make a gasket(parts store closed and needed the vehicle running). That paper gasket lasted 5k miles and was replaced with a proper one.

The Nissan gasket is a neat little sheet metal design that crushes when installed and is definitely a one-time use item. They're incredibly cheap to replace ($0.20 when bought in qty.) and certainly shouldn't be reused. Here is a diagram from the Nissan service manuals that shows the proper installation of the gasket seal.

1633083402711.png

The Nissan gasket is a neat little sheet metal design that crushes when installed and is definitely a one-time use item. They're incredibly cheap to replace ($0.20 when bought in qty.) and certainly shouldn't be reused. Here is a diagram from the Nissan service manuals that shows the proper installation of the gasket seal.

View attachment 72986
Similar to a spark plug gasket

View attachment 72986
This. If it's an actual crush washer and not what quite a few people call washers from Toyota and Honda, then yes, it needs to be replaced every time. If it's just a regular washer like Toyota/Honda use but some idiots call a crush washer when it's not, it can be re-used.

I bought a new drain plug off Amazon a bag of crushed gaskets off Amazon. So I can have extras here and a spare plug for next time. Thanks.

The Subaru ones are sort of crimped so there is a little hollow inside of them. You can feel when the washer has "crushed" when you're tightening the drain plug.

Somehow GM manages to build a drain plug with an integrated plasticy or rubber seal.... I've never needed to replace one and they've never leaked, not even on cars with 2 or 3 hundred thousand miles. Why can't everyone do it that way?

Last edited:
The Subaru ones are sort of crimped so there is a little hollow inside of them. You can feel when the washer has "crushed" when you're tightening the drain plug.

Somehow GM manages to build a drain plug with an integrated plasticy or rubber seal.... I've never needed to replace one and they've never leaked, not even on cars with 2 or 3 thousand miles. Why can't everyone do it that way?
My Ford Edge is the same way. It has an integrated seal in the drain plug.. There are a lot of fords that way as well as GM

The Nissan ones will seep if you reuse them. They are very soft copper.

You can get away with reusing the Toyota and Honda ones several times.
Do you know the ID on the Nissan seal ?
Looking for something better than the nylon seal on the B&M plug (ATF pan) …
Think I warped it slightly drilling hole

Somehow GM manages to build a drain plug with an integrated plasticy or rubber seal.... I've never needed to replace one and they've never leaked, not even on cars with 2 or 3 thousand miles. Why can't everyone do it that way?
Yep … never changed on GM … never leaked

Back