Crazy dealer add on

Sounds like something else to irritate the driver behind you, and cause road rage. No thanks.

It's also illegal for the dealer to install.

There is no way that I would ever buy a vehicle equipped with one of those moronic brake light flashers. The last thing I want is some minimum wage flunky hacking into the factory wiring harness.

Especially with the BCM controlling all the light circuits now, some cheap piece of junk like that hacked into the circuit can wreck havoc.

Especially with the BCM controlling all the light circuits now, some cheap piece of junk like that hacked into the circuit can wreck havoc.
Exactly. I tried to buy a used Mazda last spring from a big Honda dealer. They had already installed it and wanted $899. I pulled one up on my phone for $12 and asked him how theirs was $887 better. He had no answer, and eventually agreed to have it removed if I bought the vehicle. It actually ended up not to matter because we couldn’t meet on price.

I'm interested in the Costco program as well. I'm wondering if it eliminates any of the nonsense, or if it's just better to deal with the internet manager and spell it all out in an email like I usually do before setting foot into a dealership..

Wait- so those brake flashers don't come installed from the factory? I find them annoying as heck, especially when I'm behind someone who constantly hits the brakes every 10 seconds for no reason.
There illegal. If the factory installed them they wouldn’t meet DOT specs. How they get away with it is beyond me. Surprised some decent attorney hasn’t sued these dealers for causing an accident.

I'm interested in the Costco program as well. I'm wondering if it eliminates any of the nonsense, or if it's just better to deal with the internet manager and spell it all out in an email like I usually do before setting foot into a dealership..
I tried it twice years ago and it wasn’t great - higher price than going direct via e-price and not very responsive - not to mention my closest dealer was 150 miles away and not in my states 2 largest cites. . I would try it again though - it costs nothing if your a member.

I tried it twice years ago and it wasn’t great - higher price than going direct via e-price and not very responsive - not to mention my closest dealer was 150 miles away and not in my states 2 largest cites. . I would try it again though - it costs nothing if your a member.
Thanks! I heard mixed reviews from people in my area.

Ya, packs are a controversial subject in sales. Some swear by it, while others see it as a scam. I personally hate it when they want to pre-load a vehicle because the people that eventually buy it usually don't want an accessory and we can't return it because the packaging is long gone.
Tied selling is illegal.

Exactly. I tried to buy a used Mazda last spring from a big Honda dealer. They had already installed it and wanted $899. I pulled one up on my phone for $12 and asked him how theirs was $887 better. He had no answer, and eventually agreed to have it removed if I bought the vehicle. It actually ended up not to matter because we couldn’t meet on price.
I wonder if possibly a previous owner installed it? Seems an odd item for a dealer to add. But they may have figured, hey, let's charge for it?

I helped a neighbor a few years ago getting a CR-V. Costco deals with select dealers with a "good" price. You get an appointment, go in, take a test drive and make your decision. Zero pressure. I think the sales rep gave them the no haggle price at that time. Very easy, and now you know what a good price is. She then went to another Honda dealership who beat the Costco price (not by much), as I recall.

When I buy, I just make a spreadsheet, contact local dealerships with what I want and let them compete. I tell them what I am doing.
It just depends on the current market, like everything else.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want a brake light flasher either. Just another useless modification.
I often pump the brakes a few times when I'm at a near standstill waiting to turn left off of a highway, or coming up to stop and go traffic on the freeway, just a few more chances to catch the attention of the potential texter behind me going full speed still... I've never been close to being rear ended either, but that could be just coincidence.

Back