Crap. Warmer Weather=HLA noise. help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use 10w30 synthetic and conventional mix. During the colder seasons, my engine doesn't make any lifter noises. Today It was 60 degrees and now I'm getting noise. Would a heavier oil work to quiet the lifters?

I used the search function but I didn't find anything
frown.gif

I've posted similar observations before. On my GM 3.5L V6 (5W30 is the only recommended oil), my winter noise is only during the warm-up period. In the summer, my noise is only during load (up hill driving) and only after the engine has warmed. My conclusion is poor lubrication when cold and thick and poor "cushioning" when hot and thin. I had been adding a little 0W20 in the winter and a little 0W40 in the summer and that solved my noise issue. However, I have switched to GC (12 cSt@100C) and am experiencing a little noise at startup this spring. It is quiet once warmed. I now have the oppinion that I want the absolute thinnest oil possible at start-up and 12-13 cSt when hot.

My comments are intended to address noise only - not wear. I make NO claims about correlations between noise and wear nor between viscosity and wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back