Craftsman trimmer issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having some recent issues with my three year old Craftsman line trimmer. It is a 32 cc two-cycle model. Last week, while trimming it would pick up RPM and sound like it was free-wheeling a bit. Yesterday, it ran rough, had trouble getting up to speed and would stop suddenly when shut off. It used to free wheel down when shut off. Not, it stops suddenly. You can no longer spin the trimmer head freely.

Is it a clutch or driveline issue maybe? I took the trimming attachment off and it spins freely, so it's not the gearbox at the end of the shaft.

I really do not wish to buy a new trimmer, but I imagine the price of a repair would quickly approach the cost of a new trimmer.

I have a 5 year old model similar to yours. For the last few years it would pick up RPMs randomly. It was kind of a pain in the butt to use. This year I started it up and it was barely running. It was real rough and would die if I tried to trim anything other than light grass.

I bought a craftsman battery powered one about 2 weeks ago and have only used it once. It didn't last very long but it says the battery takes 4-5 cycles before it keeps a charge well. We'll see.

Sorry, this doesn't really help you but I feel your pain...

Did you inspect the plug for fouling and correct gap? Is the air filter clean? Not saying either's the cause, but both are simple things to check before going further.

The plug is fine. I am getting a rattling sound currently with it. I was able to get the clutch housing and clutch off the trimmer. I can't get past the center part without some sort of clutch removal socket or tool.

It looks to me like the clutch is really worn. I have a tiller attachment for this trimmer and that might have put an extra load on it. I don't think the clutch would fully ex lain the clacking sound though. I want to pull off the rest of the body and see if there are broken parts along the drive line.

Should there be a pad material similar to drum brake linings on these clutches? The edge of mine seem to be worm smooth to the point of being shiny/polished.

Are there any small engine guys here that would have an idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back