Cracked Windshield, Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 2004 Pontiac Sunfire
Problem: Semi kicked up huge rock - hits side of windshield.
Result: Crack from bottom left to near middle of windshield. (Maybe a foot and a half long)

Online windshield quotes = $300-$380
shocked.gif

Questions: I assume this windshield is "illegal" and I can get a citation for this?

Info: Crack is on the Outside of the glass. I pressed my finger from the inside and spider line grew another 3-4 inches. ....

Second, do independent mechanics replace windshields or do I need to go to a $$$tealer$hip?

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

-Paul

Replacement auto glass is extremely competitive in CA. You need to keep getting quotes as your quote amount seems high.

Do not do it online. The cheapest window guy other than Craigslist won't be online.

Call your insurance co and ask their advice. In many states it's paid for with no deductible.
Yes, you can get a ticket, because it's pretty dangerous, especially the way yours sounds.

You can indeed get a ticket for that cracked windshield. Pick up the yellow pages and start calling. There are a bunch of places besides the stealer that replace those. I'd expect you should be able to get that figure under $200 if you try hard enough.

BTW, some auto insurance will waive the deductible for windshield replacement. You might want to check your policy.

I got some quotes around my house: $300 or high $200s. Here in Apple Valley at work - a co-worker got his windshield done by a small auto glass company. Called them and they quoted $170 including install. !!! Got an appointment for Monday morning at 8:00am.

Unfortunately, this means I drive home from work and back to work (monday morning) with a cracked windshield.
frown.gif
Lets hope the cops are busy. Will be driving the speed limit.

Thanks for the help everyone! I was close to getting that $338 one online... What would we do without BITOG????
grin.gif

I've been driving with a cracked windshield for the last 3 years. Hopefully the cops are as nice as they seem to be about it here!

I don't want to replace it because it will just have to be replaced again in 6 months...

Can't speak for CA but in Texas you can even pass a state inspection with a cracked windshield as long as it doesn't interfere with or damage the wipers and does not obscure the driver's vision.

170 is about right. I just had my K1500 windshield done for 179. Leave your drivers window cracked for a day or so after the install. If you close the door with all the windows up, it can cause the new seal to leak.

I haven't had any cops stop me yet - drove it home and around during the weekend.

I can't wait for Monday - cracks in the windshield just make your car feel broken. I just changed the oil in it and will give it a good wash/cleaning tomorrow. Should make the car(and me) feel better until Monday
tongue.gif

beanoil - thank you for the tip!!! Will do.

I recently had a crack, but I ended up getting it repaired instead of it replaced. www.safelite.com did it for me and my insurance covered it. They asked if the crack was no where near any of the windshields edges and if it could be covered by dollar bill. I have always been under the impression that if the original windshield seal is ever broken, the new winshield will never seal properly like the original., causing possible leaks or just the possibility of future problems. This did happen with and older pathfinder I had that had a major corrosion problem under the edge seals with a new replacement, at that point it was a second replacement for a windshield that was about 2 yrs old. Maybe it was bad luck, but I've been very cautious ever since.

My father drove around with a similar crack (or larger) in his 97 Pathfinder for about 2 years. He used some transparent tape (ghetto) to prevent the crack from spreading. I think it actually worked a little bit. When the crack got too unsightly (ie, too much tape), my mother made him replace it. He went to a local shop in LA and got it replaced for $150.

quote:

Originally posted by DakAttack:
I recently had a crack, but I ended up getting it repaired instead of it replaced. www.safelite.com did it for me and my insurance covered it.

I knew they repaired chips, but that's the first I've heard about repairing cracks.

How do they get the stuff into the crack and how invisible is the repair? I looked at their online info but it was short on details.

I was not comepletly around for the whole repair, but from what I saw they drill mini holes (2 for mine) along the crack line. I guess to inject some type of glue. Probably at the stress points where the crack could possibly go further. There is a hole at the top of the crack and in the middle, But I do not see 1 at the bottom. The crack is not invisible, It was less noticable. I can still see the crack line if I look for it. My friends dont notice it until I point it out. Depending how light shines on the windshield really determines how notiable it is for me. My crack it in the middle lower part of the windshield so its partly out of the way for me. It might be really bothersome if its in your line of sight.

quote:

Originally posted by DakAttack:
I was not comepletly around for the whole repair, but from what I saw they drill mini holes (2 for mine) along the crack line. I guess to inject some type of glue. Probably at the stress points where the crack could possibly go further.

I've heard that it's sometimes a good idea to drill a small hole at each end of a windshield crack to prevent it from spreading. The holes can be filled with clear caulk to prevent leakage. This is a temporary fix to be used only until the windshield can be properly repaired/replaced.

I'd be worried about driving around with a "creeper" that migrated that much from just pressing on it. That safety glass doesn't have much integrity when scored. I would avoid high pressure situation on the highway ..and high vibration/flex situations on surface roads. You may end up with a face full of chips.

Surely with a car that new you have this covered with comprehensive (not knowing how glass works in your state)

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
I'd be worried about driving around with a "creeper" that migrated that much from just pressing on it. That safety glass doesn't have much integrity when scored. I would avoid high pressure situation on the highway ..and high vibration/flex situations on surface roads. You may end up with a face full of chips.

Chips in the face won't happen with a laminated glass windshield (all windshields in the US)

Chips, cracks etc are usually in the outer layer of glass. If the inner layer is damaged, it would be good idea to replace it. I don't think a reputable shop would do a repair to the inner layer anyway.

Depending where in CA you live will depend on the price. Here in Los Angeles we have Mission BLVB in Downtown LA and there are about four or five glass shops next to each other eager for business, so you ca get the price down to about $100 a windshield. How do I know, my brother had his replaced there, at first he was skeptical that the price was cheap and that maybe the labor was not up to quality, but 4 years later big fat 0 in the leakage department. BMW 325C, dealer quote $700.

The windshield is part of the car's safety cage.
A crack that long needs to be replaced so you stay in the car if you hit something. I'd take my time finding the right price and installer.
Around here many mobil installers do the job in your work parking lot.

The crack is on the outside of the windshield. You can see where the rock hit the corner of the windshield - then the crack started from there. If I push on the inside of the window - crack grows.
tongue.gif

Today a window guy is coming to my work place and will do the job. He quoted $170 including installation. My co-worker had a crack and used these same people - 3 years later - windshield still works.

My thing is - I drive 220 miles a day. It seems like every day a truck picks up a rock and CRACK you hear it hit the windshield. I haven't had any windshield problems till now (a year later). So, if I get another crack in the windshield I'm not going to be so quick on replacing it...
frown.gif

kgb007stb - I know where you are talking about - bout 40 mins from my house. If this happens again I'll head over there, thanks!
grin.gif
All the other windshield places around were quoting $300+. I didn't even try $tealer$hips. I live 40 mins from downtown LA but work up in Apple Valley (Victorville/Barstow).
tongue.gif

Well, the guy is outside, putting in the new windshield as I speak. For someone who waxes his car twice a month and washes every 3-4 days - it was a little nerving seeing him cut the windshield out with a razor, etc...
tongue.gif

I was told that #1. By law they are required to say that you must wait 4+ hours due to passenger air bag blowing out windshield instead of protecting customer. Other than that, most people drive off right after getting it installed - he said.

--------------------

Just paid the bill $182 - Car/windshield looks nice. Got boss to let me park in the garage today
grin.gif
. I remembered to keep BOTH windows down when closing doors.

Window guy said: No car wash for 2-3 days and that is about it. He said he'd really like to see the vehicle sit for 5+ hours and then you'd be safe to do whatever. As long as I don't have to run out (job related) - car should be sitting for 6+ hours.

Again, thanks all for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back