Need to stop a windsheild crack....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a cracked windshield today. Actually the rock hit it yesterday, but I didn't notice the chip until it was a 6" or so crack today. The rock hit in the black painted edge of the windshield, so it was hard to see the chip. Anyway, it's growing visibly. It grew about an inch in 6 hours or so. I have heard of drilling cracks, but I'm not finding good info on Google.

I only have liability insurance on the truck, so that's why I didn't just call a glass company. I'm not looking to fork over $250 until I have too, and as it is the crack is out of my line of sight and won't fail the truck at inspection time. I just need it to not get much bigger.

So has anyone drilled a crack on a windshield to keep it from growing? How far do you drill? Where? What kind and size of bit? I have regular Black & Decker "titanium" drill bits. Can I fill it with regular super glue, or do I need to buy something specifically for glass?

In your position I'd call a glass repair shop, and find out how much it would be for them to fix it. If it's too much then at least find out what product they would use (or ask the tech what stuff they use)

I'm pretty sure there's an epoxy resin you can use that's specifically for glass; I wouldn't use super glue.

NC lets you have cracks if they are not directly in front of the driver's line of sight.

It's getting replaced eventually, but it's definitely not happening this week.

Talk to your insurance company. Ours gave us a kit to stop cracks from growing. They want us to stick the stuff on to keep the crack small and repairable.

Maybe talk to the glass shop too. I think I have heard of repair of small cracks.

Shop around before you spend $250. I just got a new windshield put in my Jeep. Prices locally ranged from $100 to $450. I paid $100 and the guy came to my work and installed it .

I will probably go with a local company called Deal's that uses OEM Carlite glass. They quoted $217 installed, which I think is pretty good for OEM. Binswanger wanted $191.05, and Safelite $258.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I will probably go with a local company called Deal's that uses OEM Carlite glass. They quoted $217 installed, which I think is pretty good for OEM. Binswanger wanted $191.05, and Safelite $258.

What about a used windshield?

There's got to be a junked out Ranger somewhere nearby with an OEM windshield still in it.

I would call a glass shop. In my experience, most times their labor isn't horrendus, and the shops around here all tout fixing cracks up to a foot long (or more).

Last time I had to have a window regulor replaced (I know, not the same); it was just as much dough to have them order the part and install it, as it would have been for me to do it myself. They must have gotten a discount on the part...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

What about a used windshield?

There's got to be a junked out Ranger somewhere nearby with an OEM windshield still in it.

There is one in Pull-A-Part that would work, if it is still there and hasn't been smashed, but it's pretty old and pitted. It may have cracks too, I didn't look at it much.

I talked to the local place over the phone and they said if I brought the truck in it would only be $199 out the door for a new Carlite with a lifetime warranty. I don't think I'm going to do much better than that.

A very small drill used to start a divot at the end of the crack will stop it. Care and aiming are important!
Super glue can work with less trauma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back