CR Good Bets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

The truth hurts doesnt it....They just make a better car....and most with americian workers too....

Yep, my 07 Odyssey was built in Alabamy. A very good peice of work IMO. For a mini van it's actually quite manly and fun to drive. My battle wagon (1996 Odyssey) is proof of the reliabilty. It's still running well with 154,000 miles on it.
coffeetime.gif

Quote:

Data compiled from input from owners. Subjective input. In my opinion the input was mainly based upon the owner's feeeeeeeeelings.

Wonder if the advice giver on the frilly fluffy gal's auto site, the one declaring that synthetic oil burns differently, filled out a survey form?

Look around at the masses of simpletons stumbling through life. They are the ones remitting info to CR. Oh yeah, there's likely a few car savvy folks filling out those CR surveys but what about the average folk who know little to nuthin' about their rolling contraptions?

Those CR reports may be useful to a certain extent but any conclusions based upon data accumulated from American sheeple can not be fool-proof.

And that's all I got to say about that.

You're on the right track. It's possible to get good data, but it takes a lot of work, and CR is pretty sloppy.

The problems begin with how they word the survey:

Consumer Reports survey critique

I actually think that CR under-rates people's intelligence. They withhold a large amount of potentially useful data, supposedly to avoid confusing people. As a result, they mislead people, because the minimal data they release is bound to be misinterpreted. For example, their "Top Picks":

Consumer Reports' Secriet Formulas

Quote:

You consider a $1924 repair job "minor"? Seems to me that if this happened to a domestic car, especially since you had bad seals causing motor oil leakage, along with two separate antenna motors breaking, a power steering pump, and several other "minor" issues, we'd be all over that. Hey, I love my Honda as well as any car, but I've had overall good luck my domestics too.

All of this is anecdotal, anyway.

Yep, if that 2K repair bill (not to mention all the others) happened on a domestic you'd hear "that's the last domesticPOS I'll ever buy, etc. I had a 1993 Cavalier I took to 150k+ miles. Repairs other than maintenance items were water pump, alternator, sway bar bushings. That's it. Total cost of parts were under $150 and I was able to do all the work easily myself, as the car was made to be servicable.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smirk.gif
usa2.gif
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back