country gas vs city gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do alot of traveling between Chicago and central Pa and have always tried to fill up away from any major cities. I have heard that there is less ethanol in gas away from major urban areas. Is this correct and how much less ethanol is there in the fuel?

It depends on what gas station more than where you are. Around me in farm country, all the gas stations have 10% corn juice in the gas. Certain gas stations like the Pilot, Mobil, and Sunoco make my car get noticeably poorer mileage than a Kwik Fill. Maybe my car (or butt dyno) is just picky...

Incorrect unless the station states they sell ethanol free fuel.

All gas is up to E10 now, unless labeled otherwise.

It all depends on how the EPA has classified the territory the station is in. You stand a better chance if getting oxygenated fuel in densely populated areas. Politics also has it's role. States with lots of corn production tends to have politicos that push ethanol locally.

Originally Posted By: turf1
I do alot of traveling between Chicago and central Pa and have always tried to fill up away from any major cities. I have heard that there is less ethanol in gas away from major urban areas. Is this correct and how much less ethanol is there in the fuel?

All gas is E10. Now, you may be able to find a handful of stations in each state that sell 100% fuel, but that is getting harder and harder by the week.

Country gas is the SAME stuff sold in the cities.

City gas stations sell double, triple, four times the amount of fuel, so in theory, you could get "fresher" fuel from a city station.

Just buy quality, name brand, fuel from a clean, well taken car of station. Look for Top Tier fuels like Shell, Exxon, 76, ect if you can.

It has nothing to do with the amount of ethanol (but there are still stations that sell non-ethanol fuel if you are lucky to find them) but the amount of pollution reducing compounds in the fuel. The urban areas, due to the amount of traffic, are required to use fuel with an abundant amount of pollution reducing additives which generally reduces MPG.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
It has nothing to do with the amount of ethanol (but there are still stations that sell non-ethanol fuel if you are lucky to find them) but the amount of pollution reducing compounds in the fuel. The urban areas, due to the amount of traffic, are required to use fuel with an abundant amount of pollution reducing additives which generally reduces MPG.

Err. No.

Please post up proof.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Err. No.

Please post up proof.

My sources are local refineries that we work with. Their job is to blend the fuel that goes to different stations throughout eastern and southeastern PA, in both rural and urban areas. Their opinions and job knowledge is good enough for me. Before saying "Err. No." maybe you should talk with supervisors who's job it is to actually blend the fuel that goes in your tank. It is incredible how much refining and additives are added to the "bulk gas" destined for fuel stations near Philadelphia but how fuel differs as you make your way northwest out of the Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley areas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Err. No.

Please post up proof.

My sources are local refineries that we work with. Their job is to blend the fuel that goes to different stations throughout eastern and southeastern PA, in both rural and urban areas. Their opinions and job knowledge is good enough for me. Before saying "Err. No." maybe you should talk with supervisors who's job it is to actually blend the fuel that goes in your tank. It is incredible how much refining and additives are added to the "bulk gas" closer to Philadelphia but how fuel differs as you make your way northwest out of the Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley areas.

Srry to go off on ya!

After doing some more digging, I did find something to back up your claim!!

I have never heard or seen of it. But It looks like your statement has merit.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg/information.htm

Last edited:
Many metro areas require extra 'oxygenation' in the fuel.

I've worked with guys that come from the metro Milwaukee area (four county?) and they get gas here in the 'un-oxygenized' area.
They get mower fuel here too.

They report better fuel mileage and smoother running.

Apocryphal, yes, but trusted knowledgeable individuals that I trust.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44

I've worked with guys that come from the metro Milwaukee area (four county?) and they get gas here in the 'un-oxygenized' area.

They report better fuel mileage and smoother running.

Apocryphal, yes, but trusted knowledgeable individuals that I trust.

Im reading up on this right now. From what I have read so far, extra oxygenation is what is required. We all know, Ethanol is whats used mainly as an oxygenate.

But, even in metro areas, 10% is the maximum allowed Ethanol in the fuel. . . . . . .

I still readin. . .

I am guessing there using MTBE. I do not know what the maximum allowed amount of MTBE is allowed though. . .

Last edited:
MTBE is a horrible groundwater pollutant.

Is it even still used in gasoline?

In our area (an area with a regional population of 250,000), one gasoline tank farm supplies all of the gas except for one vendor.

Therefore, the vast majority of gasoline in this area has a single origin. City or country? Doesn't matter.

Thanks for the info. In northern illinois I use shell 95% of the time. While in central pa. I use 90% sheetz gas which I get about 9% better mileage than with mobil gas. This past weekend took a trip to waterloo ia. Found a bp station selling no ethanol 87 gas! The 87 gas was priced at the 89 price. I do get better mileage with central pa sheetz gas than chicago shell gas.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
Incorrect unless the station states they sell ethanol free fuel.

All gas is up to E10 now, unless labeled otherwise.

I'm pretty sure our state (MT) does the opposite. It must be labeled if it contains that much ethanol.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44

This is true and I think is what the OP was referring to. Before the ethanol credits and madates, it was more likely to find pure gas outside of certain metro areas certain times of year. But now its generally more profitable for a blender and retailer to sell E10 versus E0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back