Could GM revive Saab as an all-EV, a la the "GMC Hummer"?

Resurrecting dead automotive zombie brands is a fine exercise in making a small fortune by starting with a large fortune. Mercedes plowed a lot of money into bringing back Maybach in 2002 to only pull the plug a decade later. Even in the rare example where it does work it's rarely worth the effort. Longtime VW chairman Ferdinand Piech once said that if he know how much of an effort it would take to resurrect Audi he would of started with a new brand from scratch. Ford and Toyota took two different approaches to break into the luxury car business in 1990, Ford bought Jaguar (with the idea to reinvigorate the brand) and Toyota launched the Lexus brand. Needless to say one approach worked very well and the other failed.

Those were awesome, the V4 was much better than the 2 stroke but the 2 stroke had its own quirky personality that I really like.
The v4 came on the later style . They had a lifetime engine warranty. On mine the radiator was behind the engine, so overheating could be a problem. That’s why mine had a new factory engine at 30k. The free wheeling feature had to be used in hot weather to reduce the coolant temp. I still drove it cross country in summer, no issues. Through the Rockies, and down the other side. DKW which is now Audi I believe made a similar car, maybe better. A guy in town had one but haven’t seen it for awhile, in beautiful shape. Probably a dealer snatched it away from him.

Resurrecting dead automotive zombie brands is a fine exercise in making a small fortune by starting with a large fortune. Mercedes plowed a lot of money into bringing back Maybach in 2002 to only pull the plug a decade later. Even in the rare example where it does work it's rarely worth the effort. Longtime VW chairman Ferdinand Piech once said that if he know how much of an effort it would take to resurrect Audi he would of started with a new brand from scratch. Ford and Toyota took two different approaches to break into the luxury car business in 1990, Ford bought Jaguar (with the idea to reinvigorate the brand) and Toyota launched the Lexus brand. Needless to say one approach worked very well and the other failed.
One flaw to your argument, Jaguar wasn’t a defunct brand so there wasn’t anything to resurrect.

One flaw to your argument, Jaguar wasn’t a defunct brand so there wasn’t anything to resurrect.
jaguar was basically in audi’s shoes until they bailed out of the british leyland ****show. they put every last cent they had into the XJ40 sedan, ford saw the potential and bought them out. they did good until the crossover and suv revolution made buyers switch to other brands and then the recession forced ford to dump them.

refreshing a zombie brand is still easier than a dead and buried one like saab without a doubt

Last edited:
Back