Cost for full brake job?

That's the correct way to do it. However, checking the rotor after it is installed onto the vehicle is equally important. The rotors may need to be indexed to reduce the final LRO due to stacked tolerances.

This is why on-car brake lathes are a much more efficient solution. But at $20K/lathe, the privilege is limited to dealers or higher-end independent shops.
Bro, you just talked about indexing a rotor on a hub.. I never even would have thought of that.. You without a doubt, have taught me something.

Had a dealer quote $2,000 for wife's Jag XF. Got the parts off of RA for less than $500 all in (new pads, brake hardware, and rotors) and did the work myself.

Had a dealer quote $2,000 for wife's Jag XF. Got the parts off of RA for less than $500 all in (new pads, brake hardware, and rotors) and did the work myself.
How much did you mark up the parts to yourself ? And how much did you pay yourself ?

Comparing DIY costs to what a shop charges is just silly....

It takes me awhile to do my own brakes. Cleaning everything and lub'ng things. And I have the tool to check runout but have not used it. That would take even longer.

If you buy quality rotors like Wagner, are there still concerns with lateral runout?

Checking lateral runout is important, especially in sensitive applications. The lower quality rotors can sometimes have issues with excessive lateral runout when new.

This is why
resurfacing rotors using an on-car brake lathe can be superior to installing new rotors if the existing rotors are rust-free.
That was done on the Camry more than a year back and the result was excellent. Better than taking the rotors off to machine them? Based on previous experiences, I'd say quite possibly. Regardless, I'm quite pleased with the result.

If you buy quality rotors like Wagner, are there still concerns with lateral runout?
Yes, because some applications have a tighter LRO spec than others.

That was done on the Camry more than a year back and the result was excellent. Better than taking the rotors off to machine them? Based on previous experiences, I'd say quite possibly. Regardless, I'm quite pleased with the result.
If it was done in conjunction with the pads specified in the TSB, it should stay vibration free for a long time.

If it was done in conjunction with the pads specified in the TSB, it should stay vibration free for a long time.
No, it wasn't. I noticed a vibration when applying the brakes, took it to the shop the next day, and they did the rotors.

Please tell me more about this TSB. Thanks!

That's the correct way to do it. However, checking the rotor after it is installed onto the vehicle is equally important. The rotors may need to be indexed to reduce the final LRO due to stacked tolerances.

This is why on-car brake lathes are a much more efficient solution. But at $20K/lathe, the privilege is limited to dealers or higher-end independent shops.
Rotor indexing on the 1965 thru 1982 Corvettes was pretty much mandatory for the lip seal calipers. Check that dang runout!

I believe so, it all depends on the driver, as the metal goes through thermal cycles it can change shape when it’s hot and under load but they keep the shape when they cool. Perhaps an expert can weigh in?
Oh ya had to go there didn't ya?

Major thread SQUIRREL!!!!! in three, two, one....

Anyway.....personally I now use the brake vaccine for rotors....it's proven "safe and effective" against warpage and pad deposits. Problem solved. I do it to protect the others on the road, not me. I'm a good person like that.

How much did you mark up the parts to yourself ? And how much did you pay yourself ?

Comparing DIY costs to what a shop charges is just silly....
Silly or not, I couldn't afford to pay the shop what they wanted, so I did it myself.

Not what I said in reference to "silly"
Perhaps you could elaborate on what you meant? It certainly sounded like you were calling my evaluation "silly." I chose DIY based on my evaluation and perception of cost to have dealer perform the work versus DIY. Yes, I understand that shops have overhead and have markup. Do you also consider it "silly" when a capable homeowner choses to use "sweat-equity" on a home improvement project because they can do it more affordably versus hiring a contractor?

No, it wasn't. I noticed a vibration when applying the brakes, took it to the shop the next day, and they did the rotors.

Please tell me more about this TSB. Thanks!
Looks like it was only applicable to the 07-10. But I always install the -33471 pads in every D1293 application.

It certainly sounded like you were calling my evaluation "silly."
Comparing what a shop charges for a repair or service vs what you will spend if you DIY, yes, that's silly. It's not even a valid comparison.

If people do their own car work or home repairs - I do the same when I can - good for them (and me). If I pay for car work, I don't look up the parts and the cost for what I could buy them for or critique the labor time or amount they charge. I suck it up and pay it.

A dealer doing a full brake job meaning OEM rotors, pads and labor is about $600 per axle. This was quote for my 2018 VW Tiguan and also 2015 Honda Pilot.

I ended up using indy with high quality parts and it was close to $500/axle.

Comparing what a shop charges for a repair or service vs what you will spend if you DIY, yes, that's silly. It's not even a valid comparison.

If people do their own car work or home repairs - I do the same when I can - good for them (and me). If I pay for car work, I don't look up the parts and the cost for what I could buy them for or critique the labor time or amount they charge. I suck it up and pay it.
I don't necessarily agree with you that it is not a valid comparison, but we'll agree to disagree on that point. I appreciate you clarifying for me.

(Not trying to debate or argue - promise) Let me clarify my clarification :) If someone can't do the work and has to pay $X whereas you or I can do the same work for 1/3 of that, the people that can't do the work and have to pay can feel belittled or insulted or made to feel "ripped off" (by the shop) when that's not the case at all. There is a recent thread involving a person that has had various work done to their car by a shop and someone went over the bills, doing the shaking-their-head thing, and in a roundabout way telling this person how much they've been scammed. How does that person feel ? Stupid ? Silly ?

It's the same as going to the butcher and buying 3-4 steaks that you make at home that cost as much as you'd pay for 1 steak (maybe 1-1/2 or 2??) at a nice restaurant. Or I pay a person $20 every 6-8 weeks to cut my hair and then people proclaim "Haha, I cut my own hair for free".

Back