Cost for full brake job?

The OEM tire rod on my 750i cost me, from what I remember, $370 at the dealer. Declined $200 Alignment, tires were trashed anyway. If it wasn't 20f outside I would have done it myself, but I don't do winter very well.
Called the local Indy shop, two months wait. My local guy wouldn't touch BMW's he hates them that much.
I saw the parts on pelican and would have waited, but it was shot.
So the Tie Rod end for 750i was still cheaper than Tie Rod end on Nissan Sentra?

Your local guy does not want to touch it bcs. he does not know anything about it.
Still better than guys claiming they can fix anything.

I am very familiar with BMW prices, and yes, that is the price for tie rod end on 2015 M5 and yes, $400 was the price for Sentra.
Actually, Lemforder tie rod end (OE supplier for BMW) is $76 online. But, nothing matches quality of Sentra.
which the statement of "German car maintenance is expensive" is a common myth or "old wives' tale"

Wow, I recently 3 front brake services for friends and family.
98 Accord LX
15 Odyssey EX-L
07 TSX

Element 3 pads and rotors. I think the only one over $200 was the Oddy. Everything cleaned and lubed.

$399-$449/axle for pads and resurface, new rotors add another $2-$300. Market price here.
So front brakes on a car are $800-$900 at a shop? $50 of parts means $800 of pure profit for 2 hours worth of work?

I'm in the wrong business doing IT.

So front brakes on a car are $800-$900 at a shop? $50 of parts means $800 of pure profit for 2 hours worth of work?

Yep, though your parts figure is a bit off.

For pads and rotors, $180-$200 for premium aftermarket parts at a jobber, 50% margin on parts and 1.5 to 2 hr labor at market rates.

If you want to be surrounded by cancer causing substances all day, its a good gig
Sorry, clarification.. If you work for yourself and can overcome the cost of the property and equipment needed. I'm guessing you'd be barely breaking a profit until you establish a customer base and get experience owning a business. The last ford tech I talked to was making $44k annually. That's pretty **** low for the work they perform in my opinion.

Sorry, clarification.. If you work for yourself and can overcome the cost of the property and equipment needed. I'm guessing you'd be barely breaking a profit until you establish a customer base and get experience owning a business. The last ford tech I talked to was making $44k annually. That's pretty **** low for the work they perform in my opinion.
Maybe in Upstate NY. High 5 figures to low 6 figures is not uncommon for dealer master techs in major metropolitan areas of CA.

Actually, yeah. My ex-wife managed a local "luxury limousine" (DOT classification speak vs a taxi service). They had a small fleet of Mercedes, Econolines, Transits and now the Metris. None were actual stretch limos, just stock builds.

They used one shop here, say Small-town Brake and Automotive. It was basically $800 per axle anytime they needed brakes front or rear, Mercedes or Econoline.

I think it sounds lucrative until you have five employees, accountants, insurance, commercial lease, permits, software subscriptions, electrical bill, shop equipment upkeep, disposal fees etc

But I could be wrong.....

Actually, yeah. My ex-wife managed a local "luxury limousine" (DOT classification speak vs a taxi service). They had a small fleet of Mercedes, Econolines, Transits and now the Metris. None were actual stretch limos, just stock builds.

They used one shop here, say Small-town Brake and Automotive. It was basically $800 per axle anytime they needed brakes front or rear, Mercedes or Econoline.

I think it sounds lucrative until you have five employees, accountants, insurance, commercial lease, permits, software subscriptions, electrical bill, shop equipment upkeep, disposal fees etc

But I could be wrong.....
Your not wrong. Some people are just cheap and happen to browse certain sites on the Internet -regarding car maintenance.

Maybe in Upstate NY. High 5 figures to low 6 figures is not uncommon for dealer master techs in major metropolitan areas of CA.
Makes sense to me. Higher population, more positions to fill, probably higher employer retention cost. But the down side is 30% higher cost of living than in rural upstate NY.

I could see some master techs around here at the higher paying, higher volume dealerships making high five with a good deal of experience. Tech I spoke with was at a smaller Ford dealership, in a low population small town.

I don't know about dealership pay rates (I'd think they were higher than independent shops) but I've seen help-wanted ads for mechanics/techs paying $30-35/hour here in southwest Ohio. That's a "good" wage for our area. Not rich, definitely not poor, but solid middle-class. Now I've heard of "flat rate" pay so I assume this is not that.

I don't know about dealership pay rates (I'd think they were higher than independent shops) but I've seen help-wanted ads for mechanics/techs paying $30-35/hour here in southwest Ohio. That's a "good" wage for our area. Not rich, definitely not poor, but solid middle-class. Now I've heard of "flat rate" pay so I assume this is not that.
Per flat rate hour, yes.

That's pretty amazing. I've been pricing brake parts for some upcoming work, and the fronts done the way you've described, would be just a bit north of that for parts alone at Rock Auto. I looked at mid-range prices for all components, but even with lower-priced components, I came reasonably close to your number. And then there's labor ...
Actually I just looked at the bill it was front pads ,rotors and one caliber he's a good mechanic I been going to for years and have a good relationship I pick up my car at the end of the day and we sit around and talk for a few hours

A garage down the road from me is in the back of his mothers property. He always has a backlog of two weeks or more, lots always full of jobs, and he charges a high hourly rate. He's amazing with computers and can always solve the worst problems imaginable. Uses premium parts only and charges a premium for them too. He must be pushing 200k a year at least..

It would be the same with a restaurant or bakery. Have to buy the ovens, fixtures, and hire employees , plus supplies before you get your first customer. Small business is not easy. I was happy to pay the $300 for rotors and pads, as AAP wanted $90 per rotor and $80 for pads.

A garage down the road from me is in the back of his mothers property. He always has a backlog of two weeks or more, lots always full of jobs, and he charges a high hourly rate. He's amazing with computers and can always solve the worst problems imaginable. Uses premium parts only and charges a premium for them too. He must be pushing 200k a year at least..
My friend who worked for BMW in Munich for several years, owned shop here in the Springs for 25yrs and just retired.
Two houses in the Bahamas.
But he was well known and had backlog always 2-3weeks.

Back