Corvette owners and Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buster man, I read your posts from time to time (they seem to pop up in threads I am interested in) and your tone seems to swing pretty drastically from fairness and objectivity to subjective claims bordering on hostility. I am not arguing that Mobil 1 is a good product, but "...a great product, period."? That's pretty heavy and sounds like marketing hype, though I am not accusing you of marketing Mobil 1. There are no "periods" in these forums, partially because so little is known and partially because so many misconceptions are being uncovered here. I'll admit, even some of my own have been uncovered.
Just out of curiosity, if Mobil 1 10W-30 is the oil you would take "...over almost any oil on the market", then what is the top oil you would choose? Just teasing man.
wink.gif

quote:

Buster man, I read your posts from time to time (they seem to pop up in threads I am interested in) and your tone seems to swing pretty drastically from fairness and objectivity to subjective claims bordering on hostility. I am not arguing that Mobil 1 is a good product, but "...a great product, period."? That's pretty heavy and sounds like marketing hype, though I am not accusing you of marketing Mobil 1. There are no "periods" in these forums, partially because so little is known and partially because so many misconceptions are being uncovered here. I'll admit, even some of my own have been uncovered.
Just out of curiosity, if Mobil 1 10W-30 is the oil you would take "...over almost any oil on the market", then what is the top oil you would choose? Just teasing man.

nicre, relax chief. There are periods all over this forum........
wink.gif

Many on here are very quick to put down M1 when all we have discovered on here from UOA's is that M1 SS is a vast improvement over there older product and it can hold it's own against Amsoil and Redline. For the money and by looking at specs. you would think Redline and Amsoil would be so much better, but there not. Take a look at all the UOA's and form your own opinion. I'd take M1 99% of the time unless a certaian engine ran better with a different oil. Sometimes certain engines burn M1 fairly easy and in these cases I'd make a switch.
wink.gif

Yeah, one of the misconceptions I had prior to exploring this forum is that the well known "boutique" oils (Amsoil, Redline, etc.) had to be measurably better than even the best OTC oil (Mobil 1). Well, like you said, the UOA's show that M1 does a **** good job, so I looked into switching from Amsoil (that's what I use currently) to Mobil 1. In an unexpected twist, I can get Amsoil for cheaper than M1, so I'm still using Amsoil.

I also have had zero oil consumption in my 02 SS LS1. I am now running Schaeffer's 10W-30 and with my new cam am reving the motor to 6500 rpms on a daily basis. Many 01 and 02 LS1's were assembled with LS6 blocks which are somewhat stronger and 75% more ventilated than the LS1 blocks and some say that is why some LS1's do not experience oil consumption. My car does have an LS6 block. You check by jacking the car up and with a flashlight looking at the back of the block by the firewall for the LS6 casting number. Can't remember the exact number off the top of my head.

quote:

the UOA's show that M1 does a **** good job, so I looked into switching from Amsoil (that's what I use currently) to Mobil 1. In an unexpected twist, I can get Amsoil for cheaper than M1, so I'm still using Amsoil.

Thats cool, stick with Amsoil then. I'm using Amsoil currently but after that $18 5qt M1 jug deal, I'll be making the switch back. I just think that M1 doesn't get enough credit sometimes. I like Amsoil's regular line and think it's a good buy, but I don't like there marketing and S2k 0w-30 oil.
smile.gif

[ May 26, 2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

the UOA's show that M1 does a **** good job, so I looked into switching from Amsoil (that's what I use currently) to Mobil 1. In an unexpected twist, I can get Amsoil for cheaper than M1, so I'm still using Amsoil.

Thats cool, stick with Amsoil then. I'm using Amsoil currently but after that $18 5qt M1 jug deal, I'll be making the switch back. I just think that M1 doesn't get enough credit sometimes. I like Amsoil's regular line and think it's a good buy, but I don't like there marketing and S2k 0w-30 oil.
smile.gif

I love the marketing
tongue.gif
and been using the S2000 0W-30 since 1996. Ran my 1996 Chevy 4X4 with it till I sold it to a friend. He still has truck with just over 100,000 miles and continues to use it. Between him and I, we have never had to add any oil between oil changes using this oil. I have in in my newer 2001 GMC SLT Ext. Cab Z71 and they same with that truck, it never uses any oil so far in 36,000 miles.

PS-I always change oil once a year no matter the miles. Since 1977 I never paid attention to miles, just once a year. Back in the old days I would easily go 25,000 miles a year but now its much less.
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

[ May 26, 2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Running Amsoil in mine and very happy with the results thus far. In fact, I have since switched three of my other cars from Mobil-1 to Amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back