corvette c4

hi,
a friend just bought a gorgeous red c4 corvette,what oil grade and minimum zddp recommended for this car,is it with the flat tapper cams?
its in israel so temperatures are from 7winter to45 Celsius in the summer.
its not a daily btw just a Sunday or should i say shabat cruiser😄and will be driven gently.
tnx.

Whatever is on the oil filler cap. 5w30 or 10w30.
Mobil1 or anything. Those roller cam small blocks were great. I had an 86 and a 90. As others have said, 87 was the 1st year.

Because Motul is cheaper than Mobil 1 in Israel, Motul 8100 5W30 Econergy - it's API SL, therefore a high SAPS similar to oils available when the car was designed and built, so about 300 ppm more ZDDP and a sweet spot HTHS of 3.4, and a claimed German Vollsynthetische rating...

Whatever is on the oil filler cap. 5w30 or 10w30.
Mobil1 or anything. Those roller cam small blocks were great. I had an 86 and a 90. As others have said, 87 was the 1st year.

Thinking about that, if it was a import from the US the oil spec may or may not be the same for use in his temperature zone. It gets pretty hot there, a 0w40 may be they way to go, Mobil 1 0w40 has enough zinc even if had a flat tappet but not too much to do damage to the cat.

I put a ton of miles on a 1987 C4 Corvette convertible. I used Mobil 1 5-30 or 0-30 and it didn't use any oil and worked great. Those engines last a long time and are very reliable. If I remember correctly it was called an L98 engine.

the friend just bought it on sunday and the car is super mint and maintained (40k miles)so no oil change is required,he loves the 300v and used it in the past a lot but since its a shabat cruiser it will do very little miles a year,i recommended him the ss due to its high tbn and since it cost the same as the vanilla m1 but as i understood he can use any good syn oil.
ill keep u guys updated when he will change the oil.

The C4 gets such a bad rap but it truly is a great car. It was amazing in it's day. I love my 94!

The C4 gets such a bad rap but it truly is a great car. It was amazing in it's day. I love my 94!

Yeah, that's kind of silly. A well maintained and set up C4 is still a world class performer. They handle great, have ample power and still turn in great lap times. A few well chosen mods brings them right up to modern performance levels. What's not to love?

The '84 pulled 1.0 lateral G's. They softened them up after that.
The '86 1/2 Convertible was the 1st convertible since the '74 (or there abouts).
It had the aluminum heads.
The '90 was good; it pretty much got all the bugs out. Later that year came the LT5 ZR1.
I drove a ZR1; it was much like the L98 around town, but from 4,000 to 7,000 RPM it was a rocket!

more then anything those cars have a soul,a character and a feel,somthing thats missing in today's automobils with all the air pollution regulations and efficiency,they are alive and that's how they make u feel,alive.on paper there are better cars but for a lot of folks in israel nothing but nothing beats a good old American car.
its all about the feel.

Back