Correlation between noise and wear???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: BigJohn

We all know that a 5w40 will sound and run smoother than a 5w20.

Totally not true with my experience in 2000 MB E430.

My E430 is much quieter with either PP 5W20 or M1 0W20 than M1 0W40, it also run much smoother with thinner oils.

Interesting how it varies depending on the vehicle. Mine is definitely quieter with the 5w40 over the 5w20. I had the hood open to check the transmission fluid tonight and heard something. As I was trying to figure out the noise I heard... it dawned on me.... it was the injectors. I hadn't realized until that moment that the other "normal" noises the engine had been making were now quieted to the point where the only thing I HEARD was the injectors and the fan!

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
To some degree or another, I agree with all the statements above. Subjectivity is something we filter on this site 99% of the time and hearing and feel are HUGELY subjective.

My mother owns a Ford F150 that she purchased for $500 from an Oil and Gas company. This truck is used on her property as a beater. It has 315k miles on it. It called for 5w20 oil on the engine cap, but for the past 310k miles, 15w40 Bulk Fleet was poured in. That engine is in absolutely outstanding condition.

Anyway, when changing the oil 6 months ago, my brother read on the cap and filled the truck up with YB 5w20. Oh my goodness, the engine had an horrible sound and was very, very rough. My next trip over to Mom's, I drained the 5w20 and filled with Delvac 1300 15w40 and she was running top notch again. Now this example is with an highly used and worn engine.....but that is what got me to thinking about the sound and feel vs the wear.

Engines develop a wear pattern. It is quite possible because a 40 grade oil was used, that the 20 grade was too thin because of how the engine wear pattern developed using the 40 grade. After those many miles I would just stick to the 40 grade oil. JMO

AD

Wear pattern based on oil weight? That's basically saying once you use a certain weight you can never use a different weight. Kind of hard to believe.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
heavier weight oils when cold do not have the best cold start protection.
if you want to see this for yourself look inside of a engine valve cover during startup with a 20w50 oil, watch the toothpast slowly flow across the engine until it warms up!
during this time engine wear is at its most!
then do the same thing with any 5W30 oil and the physical difference is stunning to see for yourself!
I say the thinner oil protects at cold engine temps significantly more than the heavy 50 weight.
now at higher temps there is another issue that comes along.
this is where SYNTHETICS hold superior, cold and hot engine protection. mineral oils just cant hold the hight temps as well during long drains i/e 5000 miles as non mineral based oils.
let the insults follow now!

Very broad statement.

I can't tell a difference in time to pressure and flow between a 10w-30 and a 20w-50 in the GN.

I can't tell a difference in time to pressure and flow between a 0w-20 and a straight 30 in the TL.

I have peeked many times under the valvecovers and always pay attention to the oil guage/light on both cars.

I don't see an advantage to a thinner oil on startup as long as you're in the recommended temp vs viscosity range.

I am just wondering, is there a correlation between a 'rougher sound and feel" to increased engine wear?

Not in my opinion. 5w20 in an engine speced for 5w20 seems to do fine. Thicker than 20w in those engines always felt a bit sluggish.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
lazaro said:
Very broad statement.

I can't tell a difference in time to pressure and flow between a 10w-30 and a 20w-50 in the GN.

I can't tell a difference in time to pressure and flow between a 0w-20 and a straight 30 in the TL.

I have peeked many times under the valvecovers and always pay attention to the oil guage/light on both cars.

I don't see an advantage to a thinner oil on startup as long as you're in the recommended temp vs viscosity range.

^^I agree completely with GN. That`s been my experience as well.
11.gif
10.gif

well my 94 4.6 was very quiet on start up, even at 235K miles after it is sat in the cold for a few weeks. my 2003 4.6 was fairly quiet too, but not as quiet as the 94

well my 2005 4.6 is not quiet at startup, esp when the ambient temp. is up. the warmer it is the worse it is, when it was 0 degrees F the startup's were pretty quiet

I changed oil from M1 0w-20/0w-30 mix to motorcraft syn blend 5w-20 last weekend, with a motorcraft filter. it didn't help the startup banging, it maybe worse, to early to tell thou

but I do think the engine is quieter with the motorcraft oil compared to M1 when the engine is warm and running (not startup)

Ok, looks like everyone has a quiet 4.6 except for you, Jim Allen. And, thanks for assuming I haven't worked in a garage for 5 years. You know what they say when you assume? Rebuild all the engines you want, it doesn't mean you've even seen the insides of a 281ci mod motor. I've seen their little soda can pistons and the differences in the timing chains between certain years.

But, again, I will state that the 4.6 IS A QUIET ENGINE OVERALL. No denying it. If you want to say they make noise at start up or when cold, I AGREE. That's when most engines will make the noise they are going to make. But to just call the 4.6 a noisy engine is wrong. Low mileage or high mileage, the majority are quiet engines.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Ok, looks like everyone has a quiet 4.6 except for you, Jim Allen. And, thanks for assuming I haven't worked in a garage for 5 years. You know what they say when you assume? Rebuild all the engines you want, it doesn't mean you've even seen the insides of a 281ci mod motor. I've seen their little soda can pistons and the differences in the timing chains between certain years.

But, again, I will state that the 4.6 IS A QUIET ENGINE OVERALL. No denying it. If you want to say they make noise at start up or when cold, I AGREE. That's when most engines will make the noise they are going to make. But to just call the 4.6 a noisy engine is wrong. Low mileage or high mileage, the majority are quiet engines.

Builder I know had a 4.6L from a '96 Cobra (Teskid block) going to together a couple years back. It was for a guy that used to run one of the Mustang clubs, who is a friend of both myself, and another guy who worked at the shop. I was lucky to be there for a lot of the build process; my friend who worked there was able to watch the whole thing.

The bottom-ends on those engines are phenomenal. It is very easy to see why they last like they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
My best friend had a 96 GT with the 4.6 that had about 300k on it. It`d use up almost the entire crankcase of oil between changes,but that thing was soooooooooo quiet and smooth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back