Correct oil for flat tappets

Status
Not open for further replies.
VR1 10W-30 but I've never seen it on the shelf, only 20W-50. Much preferred over ZDDP additive in whatever. Any chance you can get Brad Penn/Penn Grade 1 anywhere local? Maybe a speed/motor shop? Driven GP-1?

Just found Driven 10W-30 conventional for $33.73 case of 12 on Amazon. Ships 1-2 months if you can wait might be worth it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by Zack1978
Mobil 1 15W50 for the win.............
I really wish we had it in Europe.
We only get the Racing 4T 15W-50 which is just way too expensive.

Nah, Mobil 1 15W-50 is not a very good oil. It's loaded with VII. You're much better off with a 15W-40 CK-4 HDEO or a gasoline/diesel 20W-50 for a flat tappet. They have much thicker base oils and the HDEO has similar ZDDP content (1,200 ppm phosphorus). CK-4 HDEOs also go through engine-wear tests gasoline-rated oils don't. It's hard to beat a 15W-40 CK-4 HDEO for a flat tappet.

You can compare the base-oil viscosities here:

Estimated base-oil viscosity (BO DV150) and VII content of selected oils

Originally Posted by 4WD
Recommended by Shelby but not Gokhan.

LOL. No, Shelby recommends 5W-50.
wink.gif

… Depends … my boss picked up his actually at Shelby (it has the more rare Trinity 5.8L) … they had it filled with 15w50 for track use in the south …

BTW … how much VM would 5w50 have, need to be a good dose too ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
… Depends … my boss picked up his actually at Shelby (it has the more rare Trinity 5.8L) … they had it filled with 15w50 for track use in the south …

BTW … how much VM would 5w50 have, need to be a good dose too ?

I've updated my spreadsheet. The VII content and base-oil viscosity of M1 15W-50 and M1 FS X2 5W-50 are almost identical. The only difference between the two seems to be the base-oil quality -- M1 15W-50 being mostly Group III and M1 FS X2 5W-50 having a lot of GTL and PAO, which lowers the cold SAE rating of the latter to 5W. If I had to choose between the two, I would go with M1 FS X2 5W-50 for better cold starts and a longer OCI.

Estimated base-oil viscosity (BO DV150) and VII content of selected oils

any one used Valvoline Premium Blue Motor Oil, 15w-40, 1150 zinc
also comes in a synthetic

Originally Posted by tutermoe
any one used Valvoline Premium Blue Motor Oil, 15w-40, 1150 zinc
also comes in a synthetic

Any brand-name 15W-40 CK-4 HDEO, such as Delo, Delvac, Premium Blue, or Rotella, is a great choice for flat tappets or as a "stout" oil as some people on BITOG would call it. The base oil is as thick as it gets and the VII content is small. Therefore, they are as stout as it gets.

If the climate doesn't allow it, run a good 10W-30 or 5W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back